OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 16:25

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009, 11:39 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I'm wondering what blade, available from the current major manufacturers, would be most suitable for hardbat game? What are the main requirements, and what makes a good hardbat?

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009, 13:01 
Super User

This may vary depending on the user, but for some reason the W1030 plays extremely well with pimples, if you use it for an aggressive game. It plays well with SPs, Mps and Lps.
It is a 5 ply wood, stiff and hard. Not as stiff as carbons but still a lot stiffer than other wood blades. It has the right balance between control and speed.
I used it for a while with 007 OX on both sides and it was very good.
It has a bit of weight to it so it makes it easier to hit with (less movement required.) but it is not heavy either...

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009, 13:46 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
haggisv wrote:
I'm wondering what blade, available from the current major manufacturers, would be most suitable for hardbat game? What are the main requirements, and what makes a good hardbat?

I don't know if there's any blade that's overwhelmingly popular. Any all-wood bat can be used.

The slow, oversized Hock-style blades are popular, especially for choppers. Players who like to loop the ball choose one-ply hinoki blades because of the huge dwell time. Attackers like fast, heavy offensive blades.

Although the lack of rubber choices may be limiting, hardbatters can do their EJing with blades to get different effects.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2009, 19:06 

I tried several blades in hardbat, the best for me are rather heavy (85 g and more), rather stiff, and very classical in their conception. Playing with 2 Dr Evil, I tried 729 Bomb, Tibhar IV S, they were good, but too fast for me. I tried Tibhar IV L, it's a bit too soft and too slow, very good for defense with Dr Evil, and more suitable for me with faster rubbers, like BTY Orthodox.
Now I play with a collector blade, a BTY Kenny Style, which is exactly what I need for my style of play and my Dr Evil rubbers.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2009, 09:44 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks Francis!

I have some old Kenny blades at home, perhaps I'll try some Dr Evil on them and give it go, see how well I can control it.

Interesting that you say stiffer blades work better for you, coz I expected the thin and oversize blades to be more popular, which are far from stiff :wink: Perhaps I'm thinking more of defenders?

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2009, 10:51 

Yes, I'm a close-to-the-table player, I essentially block and hit, that's why I prefer stiff blades.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2009, 15:20 
Super User

Which blade you use is quite personal. In the U.S. your blade should be all wood with no non-wood components in the blade other than glue.

Defenders/choppers generally prefer a thinner, slower, bigger, and more flexible blade - often a 3-ply. Attackers generally prefer something stiffer and faster - usually 5-ply or more.

I use an inexpensive LKT Instinct 5-ply. This blade has a modern shape but is slightly larger than some modern blades. It has good control. Is lightweight. Yet still allows me to hit with authority. It is probably less than ideal for chopping, but is still quite capable of doing that if the player is also capable. The other blade I've used a lot is a Donic All-play - another 5-ply modern blade. It is slightly faster, feels more solid, but has a tad less control.

I think blade choice is generally more important than rubber choice in hardbat play. Find something that feels good and that gives you confidence in your strokes. Then stick with it.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2009, 19:33 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

So is cork allowed? It's techinically not a wood...

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2009, 20:07 

haggisv wrote:

For me, it is, even if it's bark and not wood, it comes from a tree.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2009, 00:14 
Super User

haggisv wrote:

I have made a request of the ITTF to clarify whether cork and bamboo are woods according to the ITTF. The main result was that I was asked by the USATT to refer such questions through them - which I then did. It has been over six months, and no answer has been received.

I have no idea how the USATT Hardbat committee looks at this issue. We are all left to use our best judgment for now.

Jay

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2009, 04:46 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
What blade characteristics should I look for if I'm primarily a blocker? I have a giant Hock blade but have never really liked the feel of it. Too flexible maybe? Would a balsa blade like the Dr. N. Barricade be any good?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2009, 16:41 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
What blade characteristics should I look for if I'm primarily a blocker? I have a giant Hock blade but have never really liked the feel of it. Too flexible maybe? Would a balsa blade like the Dr. N. Barricade be any good?

For less than $20 U.S., the LKT Instinct is worth a try. It is light weight and when held loosely seems to be able to take the speed off of hard driven balls. That said, blocking strong topspin shots is not exactly easy with hardbat. I do OK with it, but that's mostly because I can't chop well yet and blocking is my main defense.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2010, 11:39 

haggisv wrote:

Check out Valor Table Tennis at www.valortabletennis.com

CHEERS!!!

FH: Valor Premier - Sponge
BH: Globe 979 LP OX
http://www.valortabletennis.com

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2018, 07:01 

Blade: 729 1060 all raquet
FH: 729
BH: 729
ZEROPONG sell Gambler kevlar . Carbon, rosewood and zebra oversize allround blades

Zebra Classic is a truly unique 3 ply classic oversize blade. This blade has unbeatable feeling and a huge optimal sweet spot. Suitable for all around play with sponge rubbers also makes a fantastic hard bat (no sponge pip out rubbers). Zebra Classic has a hand lacquer finish. Made with head turning zebra wood surface and a kukui wood core.
Speed: 55 (DEF+)
Ply: 3 wood
Weight: 77 grams+-2
Thickness: 5.5mm+-.2
Head width: 160mm+-2
Head height: 165mm+-2

Rosewood Classic is a beautiful 5 ply classic oversize blade that plays just as good as it looks. Suitable for all around play with sponge rubbers also makes a fantastic hard bat (no sponge pip out rubbers). This timeless beauty is hand lacquered with a metal lens inlay, Rosewood outer ply backed up with striped spruce and a double core of ayous.
Speed: 66 (ALL)
Ply: 5 wood

Weight: 77 grams+-2

GAMBLER ZEBRA CLASSIC 5

Zebra Classic 5 is a truly unique 5 ply classic oversize blade. This blade has fantastic touch and a huge optimal sweet spot. Suitable for all around play with sponge rubbers also makes a fantastic hard bat (no sponge pip out rubbers). Zebra Classic 5 has a hand lacquer finish. Made with head turning zebra wood surface and 3 kukui wood layers the 2nd layer laid cross grain to increase strength. (This blade was developed due to the many requests for a faster more durable version of the very popular 3 ply)
Speed: 65 (ALL-)
Weight: 80 grams+-2

GAMBLER OVERSIZE KEVLAR
Gambler Kevlar Oversize K/V Oversize has a custom design that maximizes the striking surface. The optimum striking surface of this blade is larger than ANY other professional grade blade on the market. Specialized Kevlar weave enhances the sweet spot to the outer edges
Speed: 55
Control: 96
Flex: High
Weight: 80grams
Ply: 3 wood 2 Kevlar weave Handle styles: Flared or Pro ST

GAMBLER OVERSIZE CARBON
Gambler Carbon Oversize Carbon Oversize has a custom design that maximizes the striking surface. The optimum striking surface of this blade is larger than ANY other professional grade blade on the market. Incorporated are two high grade carbon fiber layers enhance the sweet spot to the edges of the blade.
Speed: 66
Control: 93
Flex: Med High
Weight: 80grams
Ply: 3 wood 2 Carbon
Handle styles: Flared or Pro ST

ALLROUND BLADES :

GAMBLER ZEN FLARED HANDLE
Zen is a 5 ply all around wood blade designed to make a balance between control and attack. Zen features top quality ayous outer layers and a kukui wood core. With a soft feeling and moderate flexibility Zen makes it easy to steer the ball thusly improving placement. Zen comes with a light hand lacquer finish to prevent splintering between rubber changes.
Speed: 70 (ALL)
Weight: 82 grams+-2
Thickness: 5.71mm+-.2
Head width: 151mm+-2
Head height: 161mm+-2
Note: Comparable to the "BTY Grubba all wood" but slightly stiffer with more speed.

INSTINCT 2 ALL WOOD
The Instinct is back and better than ever. This is a fantastic blade for players who want a budget friendly blade with good performance. This blade has a slightly harder feel and faster bounce than the ZEN with a little more speed. Featuring a hand lacquer finish, to keep the blade from splintering between rubber changes.
Wood types: Ayous (outer)/Basswood (inner),Tung (core)
Speed: 77 (ALL+)
Weight: 84 grams+-2
Thickness: 5.71mm+-.2
Head width: 151mm+-2
Head height: 161mm+-2

(LKT Toxic 3 and Toxic 5)

Last edited by spanner on 05 Jan 2019, 04:57, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2018, 11:04 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

And I suppose one could mention the LKT Toxics.

Iskandar