OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:41

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2010, 07:33 
Super User

I received my BSC yesterday

First impressions well made, the handle is not as rough a finish as Dr N Combi blade. It has a interesting handle flared but bulbous on the BH side, sorry i'm too dumb to post pic's.

The BH has a thicker layer of top sheet wood then does the FH. DR N the other way around BTW. The handle has slots cut into it to tell you which is FH and BH.

Bouncing a ball on either side the bounce appears to be the same, maybe the BH dies a little bit quicker.

I then water glued on some of my old rubbers, Yanus Df 2mm ( very old ) and 1.2mm Guillotine ( near new but it never seems to degrade )

Off to the hall I went. Started with current setup and then got out the BSC,

First comment it is much slower than Dr N Combi, I would say 20% slower on FH and 10% BH. But the feeling is super; you can really feel the ball has you strike it. Because the FH rubber is old and not so grippy it was hard to loop well with it but it counter hit very well, it also chopped very well with FH, which is not my best side for chopping. The BH has better spin reversal then Combi by 15%. I am not a blocker but I still have block if I get caught too close in, BSC is really great blocking and very aggressive blocking not the dead block but the low flat spiny block more like a chop block, which I do play. The ball flies back long fast and flat shots that I would normally miss off the end kept landing in.

I played some games and players said it was hard to read what chop was on the ball, they did get used to the degrees of spin but it took them longer than if I used the Combi.

I like this blade and this manufacturer, not sure if I will change until I put on a new FH rubber, which I will do today and try it again tonight.
Greggy

Pictures:

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2010, 11:12 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks a lot Greggy, sounds very promising!

Here is Achim (from Re-Impact) review. I've tried to translate from german, but had trouble with some sections, so I've used an online translator which does not work too well. If anyone can help and do a better translation of the 'red' parts, that would be great!

Reviewer: Achim

Playing Levle: 1.KK
FH Hallmark Original ox red, BH Geospin 1,8 mm blk

The blade has a Birch outer veneer on the FH, and a Anegré on the FH side. Blade size: Medium

Forehand (pimple side):
1. Der Block auf Topspin erzeugt deutlich mehr Schnittumkehr als das KS1, kommt aber nicht an die des Pressure heran.
1. The block against topspin generates clearly more backspin compared to the KS1 (Re-Impact "Konterspin 1", ie "Counterspin 1" blade), however, does not approach those of the BackSpinPressure blade.

2. Die lange US Abwehr ist mit dem Holz besser als mit dem Pressure, weil es langsamer ist. Die Bälle werden zu keinem Zeitpunkt zu lang; auch wenn man hin und wieder das Gefühl hat, stehen die Bälle plötzlich abrupt über dem Tisch und fallen danach schnell nach unten. Verbessertes Ballgefühl bei weniger Gewicht lassen mich jede Bewegung schneller und optimaler ausführen, so dass ich genügend Reaktionszeit habe, um die Vorteile, die mir dieses Holz bietet, optimal zu nutzen; ... was den Gegner mehr unter Druck setzt; der Vorteil gegenüber dem Pressure liegt darin, daß es mit dem Backspin Controll schlicht einfacher geht - weniger Bälle landen im Netz bzw. hinter dem Tisch.
The long range defense is better with this blade compared to the Pressure because it is slower. The balls don't go long, even iif it seems that way sometimes, but then the balls slow down suddenly above the table and fall down fast. Improved ball feeling with less weight let me move quicker and bettern, so that I have enough time to use the advantages which this blade offers; ... What puts the opponent under pressure more, with an advantage compared with the Pressure lies in the fact that it's simply easier with the Backspin Controll - less balls land in the net or behind the table.

3. Der Druckschupf ist druckvoller als mit dem KS1, was nicht nur auf das geringfügig erhöhte Tempo zurückzuführen ist, sondern mehr auf ein direkteres Spielgefühl. Die Bälle fallen, wie schon oben erwähnt, schneller weg.
The Druckschupf is more full of pressure than with the KS1 what is to be led back not only on the slightly raised tempo, but more on a straighter play feeling. The balls fall, as already on top mentioned, faster away.

4. Heber und Schuß profitieren von der größeren Direktheit und dem Tempounterschied (weniger Zeit für den Gegner). Ein Noppentop ist speziell für mich überhaupt kein Problem und gefährlich spielbar.
Siphons and shot profit from the bigger directness and the tempo difference (less time for the opponent). A Noppentop is special for me generally no problem and dangerously playable.

Backhand
5. Konter und Block sind sehr sicher und in der jeweiligen Ballänge einfach zu gestalten. Beim Konter merkt man das im Vergleich zum KS1 erhöhte (im Vergleich zum Pressure niedrige) Tempo deutlich, während der passive Block kaum Unterschiede offenbart.
Counter hits and block depend very much on the rubber used. When counter-hitting you notices it is slightly faster than the KS1 (but slower than the Pressure), while with passive blocks you hardly notice the difference.

6. Beim Schuß und Topspin wiederholt sich das Bild: Tempo zwischen KS1 und Pressure. Der Topspin ist einfacher und bissiger zu spielen als z.b. mit dem KS 5 bzw. 1 und weist wesentlich mehr Rotation auf. Im Vergleich zum Pressure ist nur das Tempo geringer, die Rotation ist nahezu vergleichbar.
With the hits and Topspin you notice the following: Speed is betweenTempo between KS1 and Pressure. The Topspin is easier and more vicious to play than z.b. with the KS 5 or 1 and shows substantially more rotation. In comparison to Pressure only the tempo is lower, the rotation is nearly comparable.

7. Das Schupfen bereitet ebenfalls keine Probleme, obwohl das weniger mein Spiel ist.

Conclusions:
Fazit
Das Backspin Control bietet in der Belagskombi ein gefährliches, nicht einzuschätzendes Spiel für den Gegner. Alle Technikbälle können zu jeder Zeit sehr kontrolliert und gefühlvoll platziert, geblockt oder brutal sicher geschossen werden, was dem Gegner weniger Zeit läßt, sein eigenes Spiel aufzubauen. Bei der VH ist das Tempo bei der Linkshänderversion wegen des geringen Katapult deutlich zurückgenommen und liegt nur geringfügig unter der RH des KKS 1. Die Schnittumkehr liegt deutlich über der aller KS Modelle; ist aber nur etwas geringer als beim Pressure. Mit der Belagskombi kam ich auf Anhieb klar, denn der Geospin verlieh dem HO ein noch besseres Ballgefühl, was wiederum meine Fehlerquelle herabsetzte. Das Komplettgewicht liegt mit 122 Gramm genau in meinem Handlingsbereich

The Backspin Control offers a dangerous, play not to be estimated for the opponent in the layer station-wagon. All technology balls can any time very much controlled and with feeling are placed, are blocked or brutally be certainly shot what leaves less time to the opponent to build up his own play. With that PER CENT the tempo is clearly taken back with the left-hander's version because of the low catapult and lies only slightly under the RH of the KKS 1. The cut return lies clearly about that of all models KS; however, is only a little lower than with the Pressure. I managed the layer station-wagon right away, because the Geospin lent an even better ball feeling to the HO what lowered my source of error again. The complete weight lies with 122 grams exactly in my Handlingsbereich

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2010, 11:15 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Here are some pictures that I took earlier. Greggy has some more pictures, which I'll upload as well as soon as I get them:

Front:

Back:

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2010, 22:17 

that is some very poor finishing. i really can't understand what you guys like in blades such as this. they look very poorly made, very fragile, not a very good finish at all, handle looks really ugly, poor quality wood.
and to top it all the price is just a shame...

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2010, 23:22 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

The finish is not that bad, it always looks worse in a close up. It's just got a rougher finish, some blades/brands are like that, does not mean a lower quality blade. Most of the Swedish made Avalox blade have that kind of finish too... I quite like it myself as it's much less slippery in your hands... The Tachi is the same too,,, can't always judge a blade by it's finish...

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2010, 23:58 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Soft balsa does not finish well. :)

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2010, 00:29 

is the handle also balsa?

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2010, 00:34 

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Handle looks like balsa to me.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2010, 08:42 
Super User

Second hit with BSC, I water glued on a brand new sheet of Yanus Df 2.0mm. And tried the blade again last night. Very interesting the brand new rubber had NO impact on the results. The blade is just a lot slower on the FH than I hoped ( thought it might be based on info ).

I played 3 different people all about my level and one a short pips blocker hitter, ex China sport school ( so very good but out of practice ) This time around against better player they all had no trouble with my return balls, as asked them to comment on both blades so I switched back and forth.

Overall
BSC is extremely great at blocking, long, short spiny no spin but this is the game I play
BSC does not reverse the ball as much as Dr N Combi
BSC is a lot slower the Combi, I think 20% slower but the players did not really notice much difference more the notices the lack of spin compared to Combi on the BH but the FH even they though was much slower.
BSC got almost all my blocks on the table while the combi only get about 30%, but this is not my game.
BSC has a similar feel to combi with ball contact maybe even nicer than combi.

But overall too slow for my, my BH flicks did not go over and if the did not power or spin. But if I chop blocked the BSC was very good.

Conclusion, this blade would suit an aggressive blocker who wants to place the ball all around the table then hit away the loose balls. You can still get some nice chop ball with either FH or BH but you would be looking to come in as soon as possible.

So I will stick to Combi, but I might test out more Re Impact blades later.

Cheers
Greggy

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2010, 09:29 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Very good review, thanks Greggy!

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2010, 09:31 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Is there any German speaking member here that could help translate that review (above) a little better please? Pretty please... :oops: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2010, 00:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Sorry, haven't read this thread until now. I hope this translation helps...

Forehand (pimple side):
1. Blocking against topspin clearly generates more reversal than the KS1, but doesn't equal the reversal of the Pressure.

2. With this blade the long-distance chopping defense is better than with the Pressure, because it is slower. The balls never will go long; even when you get at times the feeling that they will, they will suddenly hold up over the table and then drop quickly. The improved touch combined with low weight allows me to execute every move quicker and more precise, which gives me enough reaction-time to use best the advantages which this blade offers; ... which puts the opponent under pressure more; in contrast to the Pressure, the Backspin Control makes everything just more simple - fewer balls go into the net or long.

3. The reversal-push [note: this is "Druckschupf"] is more aggressive than with the KS1, which is not only the result of the slight increase in speed, but even more of the more direct feel or touch the blade offers. The balls will, as has been mentioned above, drop faster.

4. Lifting [note: I'm not sure about "Heber" here; it may indicate a roll] and flat hit [note: "Schuss" is smash, but I think this is what is meant here] profit from the greater directness in touch and from the difference in speed (less reaction-time for the opponent). A pips-loop is especially for me not a problem at all and a dangerous stroke.

Backhand
5. Counter hits and blocks can be controlled very well and can be placed short or long at will. When counter-hitting one can clearly feel the difference in speed with the KS1 (which is slower) and the Pressure (faster), but when blocking passively there is hardly any difference.

6. Similarly, for flat hitting and looping, the speed lies between KS1 and Pressure. Looping is simpler and has more bite than with e.g. the KS5, and produces substantially more spin. Compared to the Pressure, there is just less speed, but almost as much spin.

7. Pushing doesn't pose any problems either, although that is not quite my game.

Summarizing: The Backspin Control with this combination of rubbers allows a dangerous game, hard for the opponent to get a grip on. Every technical stroke can at any moment be executed with great control and the ball can be placed with great touch, blocked, or flat hit with a total and aggressive confidence, which leaves the opponent less time to work on establishing his own game. The forehand of the version for the left-handed player is less bouncy and therefore substantially less fast, falling just short of the speed of the backhand of the KKS1. Spin-reversal is clearly better than with all other KS models; but it is just slightly less than the reversal of the Pressure. I was able to play well with the combination of rubbers right from the start, for the Geospin gave the HO an even better touch, which consequently meant there was less cause for me making mistakes. Total weight is with 122 grams exactly what I can handle comfortably.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2010, 07:33 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Terrific translations, thank you Kees!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: