OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2010, 14:34 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Decided to turn this thread into a review of the Gergely I've been using for over 18 months now. The thread was initially made to compare differences in normal Gergely with Tamca 5000 version, but it seems all Gergelys are now Tamca 5000. The review appears down the thread after the pics.

I am wondering if anyone has used both these blades to be able to make a comparison?

I have the Tamca 5000 version and its quite stiff and fast which I believe is the aim of putting the laminated carbon layers into it. I am of the assumption that the normal Gergely's carbon is probably not as stiff which I am guessing reduces the speed of the blade to some degree. Just how much I'd like to know.

Now the Gergely 21 from what I can understand is a smaller headsize and is not as well liked generally by many.

I absolutely love the one I have and I know there are others who have the "normal" Gergely. So even if you haven't tried the Tamca version, please tell me more about your Gergely.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Last edited by RebornTTEvnglist on 08 Sep 2010, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2010, 14:48 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Actually, the "normal" gergely was a 5ply all wood blade...

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2010, 15:55 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

So is there 3 sorts of Gergely, ignoring the Gergely 21 then Silver? Cos Pre-sports sells a carbon Gergely with carbon, but no mention of Tamca.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2010, 18:32 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

I thought all Butterfly carbon blades were Tamca...

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2010, 15:25 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Yuzuki wrote:
I thought all Butterfly carbon blades were Tamca...

Interesting thought Yuz. I don't know if true or not. Pre-sports doesn't mention Tamca on their Gergely.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2010, 12:48 
Cho Tokusen

I have one Gergely (SH), on one side of the handle the plastic badges shows "Gergely", and on the other side "Tamca 5000 Butterfly Carbon Laminated".
The box also shows "Tamca 5000 Carbon Laminated". I did not know that there is Gergely without carbon.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2010, 13:33 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

We have the same Gergely Aeoliah. I also was unaware Gergely was made without carbon. But I assume Silver knows his stuff :lol:

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2010, 13:51 
I am Legend
I am Legend

I came across one a few years ago. Owner said he bought it back in the 80s.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2010, 14:08 
I am Legend
I am Legend

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?010jqm2ltei

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2010, 14:53 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Well I bit the bullet and ordered a 2nd Gergely which arrived today. Even though the pre-sports site mentioned nothing about it being Tamca 5000, it is. So maybe Yuz is right and all Bty Carbon blades are T5000. I'm just hoping it feels and plays similar to my other one, crossed fingers. I took some pics before I do a seal job on it. I know sealing protects, but I love the look of the raw blade and especially the grain in the handle. Sorry, pics are only off my phone, so not the quality of Yuz, Silver of Rok LOL :lol:

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 20:19 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Review Post:

Butterfly ratings: Speed: 9.9 Control 6.8.

The Bty Gergely is a fast blade rated at OFF+. The composition is Hinoki-Laminated Carbon-Balsa-Laminated Carbon-Hinoki. The balsa coming through the hinoki with the power of the stiff carbon mixed in provides a blade of excellent feel and speed. As a pips blade it works very well if you can find a pip to tame the power on it, and the Pogo Ox I use does that pretty well. The composition of the blade and perhaps the thick wood handle stops any "dead" feel you often get from a carbon blade. Its not as soft a feel as a lot of arylate carbon blades, but I think for me the feel is even better as there is a very direct feel at impact.

The handle on the Gergely is thick and chunky as you will see in the pics. It gives a very positive grip in the hand. While it is FL it has more of a straight taper rather than the curved flare a lot of FL handles have. I use a grip tape on mine, but I still find it easy enough to twiddle with. The look of the wood grain in the handle is fitting with the overall high quality of the materials used in the blade.

The blade really shines with a fast rubber onboard, which is why it has become my blade of choice. With Roxon 450 on the FH, the power I can generate with my FH smash/slap/loopdrive is just awesome. Of course there is no point having this power without control. The control is there though, provided the stroke is clean and not mistimed.

The Gergely is the first blade in 3 years of TT (with some heavy EJing in the first 18 months) that I have decided is worth owning a second one of. My second blade is still in preparation stage of super-gluing the edge and sealing the faces. I'm considering trying Hexer Powersponge on it with Bty Super-anti trial and possibly followed by Giant Dragon Guard Anti or Air UpUpUp UQ if I don't fall in love with either of the Anti's. It will be nice to finally have a testing blade of the same strain as my primary setup.

The Gergely is not a cheap blade, but I think its good value in comparison to the price of a lot of other Bty blades. I have yet to weigh my newest blade but from memory my primary one was around 85g. With Roxon and Pogo on board it comes in at around 160g.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2010, 14:28 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Actually I went with Black 1.9 :headbang:

Everything I have read since I bought the Super Anti suggests probably a wrong choice, but how often does that happen in TT to us? Still maybe it will suit me :^) :^) I do like my pips in black and therefore my Roxon's in red. Mind you I do have a sheet of tuned BWII waiting in its vac packaging for a slicker red partner, maybe if I buy GD Guard, it will be red!!

The Gergely probably is a blade you would love Speedplay. If you anywhere near like the T-8, then I'm pretty certain you would love the Gergely. It is more expensive than the Wavestone, but at $85AUD (from presports) is really only about $40 more I think. Not that I have used the Wavestone, but over the T-8, its worth it. I know your cash is low right now, but maybe when you replenish, you might be tempted to try it. ;)

I have now weighed my new Gergely, its 92.9g with superglued edge (no seal yet). I'm oretty sure this is heavier than my other one, but 7 or 8g isn't going to make much difference I doubt, and I might get a little more power. If you read my Reb Report, the lady I have played as a fill-in for the last 2 weeks uses a Gergely. She had hers stolen when thieves smashed her car window and stole her TT gear. She bought 2 new Gergely's and neither is as heavy as what she had, and she is not happy!!

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2010, 03:45 

cool pics and nice review RebornTTEvnglist . saw your comment on my sardius review. will try the gergely carbon if one of my club mates will let me try it. gergely has a lot of good things that are going for it, the main negative i heard about it is it's handle which is not as comfortable.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2010, 13:15 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Thanks ns_n2!

The handle of a TT blade tends to be very personal in preference. I like the Gergely handle quite a lot. Its a little on the chunky side which gives a positive grip. I have grip tape on my primary one and I can still twiddle just fine. I haven't put grip tape on my secondary though as I didn't seal it with superglue as I did the primary (but then it won't get as much use so it doesn't need it so much).

PostPosted: 30 May 2011, 08:44 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

Just ordered one, Reb.
I was looking for something faster, but couldn't find any T8's around, plus the GD Fiberenergy ALC has zero reviews on the net.
Gergely is quite well priced and is more controlled to the PC, SC, and Sardius.