OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 17 Apr 2024, 05:48

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010, 09:35 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Just announced:

New: Friction Special 2

This long Pimple rubber has 100% friction but still gives a good level of disruption to the flight of the ball and is slower than other long pimple rubbers. Friction Special 2 is ideal for defensive players and for Combination bat players who block with their backhand. Available mid-October.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010, 09:52 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Good news! Cool image... I bet the real thing does not do that :lol:

I wonder what they mean by 100% friction?

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010, 10:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Sounds like a low-friction slowish rubber with skinny pips to me... In other words, kind of like a red 388D-1 Ox put on a car's dashboard for two weeks... ;)

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010, 10:46 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Does sound slow, but I'm not so sure about the low friction... we'll see.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010, 11:04 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Not that these numbers mean much, but comparatively...

Friction Special 2
Speed 60 | spin 35 | control 99 | disruption 99

Phoenix
Speed 75 | spin 45 | control 98 | disruption 99

Super Nova
Speed 50 | spin ?? | control 98 | disruption 99

http://www.hallmarktt.co.uk/e-long.php#fs2

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010, 11:16 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Frustration has spin of 50 though, and that feels almost frictionless, so I'm not sure what the spin rating refers to.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010, 11:23 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Frustration
Speed 85 | spin 50 | control 90 | disruption 93

I'm sure spin = grip. I imagine the main comparison is FS2 and Phoenix in ox. On their scale of 1-100, FS2 is 15% slower and 10% less grip. Control and disruption you can probably throw out for both. I've never head of anyone using Frustration in ox.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010, 12:04 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
Frustration
Speed 85 | spin 50 | control 90 | disruption 93

I'm sure spin = grip. I imagine the main comparison is FS2 and Phoenix in ox. On their scale of 1-100, FS2 is 15% slower and 10% less grip. Control and disruption you can probably throw out for both. I've never head of anyone using Frustration in ox.

My friend Duc Loi used Frustration ox in black for about six months. I played with him a lot while he used it... Not much reversal in passive blocks and disruption effect is not that pronounced, imho. To me, it played like Insider or Swingback IF: Usable as a FLP replacement as you can still use many frictionless techniques (minus the reversal).

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010, 12:10 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes I think the comparison to phoenix is probably the most useful, although this is usually used only with sponge as well. I always felt that the sponge made phoenix unique... a high control rubber but with not with a lot of reversal... although no doubt the reversal would have been higher in OX...

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010, 17:44 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

haggisv wrote:
Yes I think the comparison to phoenix is probably the most useful, although this is usually used only with sponge as well. I always felt that the sponge made phoenix unique... a high control rubber but with not with a lot of reversal... although no doubt the reversal would have been higher in OX...

I agree that Phoenix is more interesting with the sponge. However, in real life I've played several players who were using it and they all had it in ox. Maybe just a coincidence. I used it with the 2.0 sponge for a while.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010, 21:23 
Super User

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: Joola Dynaryz ZGR
BH: Tibhar Grass DTecS
I played against a former FLP player in a Midland League veterans match last season. [United Kingdom] He had FS2 from Steve Hall on trial advance of its official release.

I found it very disruptive when he played passive backhand blocks to topspin and he seemed to be able to block actively too. I do not recall a great deal of spin reversal when he pushed against backspin.

I was impressed enough to email Hallmark about the rubber but have only just received their press release.

It is frustrating that the rubber is only available after the start of the UK season. In any event since that match I have fallen in love with Grass DTecs OX in red mounted on a Tibhar Stratus Power Defense blade. I have Yasaka Pryde 40 Max to balance on the forehand.

Had the rubber come out earlier I would have given it a go as it seemed better than Phoenix which I tried without any success or enjoyment whatsoever. Perhaps it was too soon after the FLP ban. I thought the FS2 used by my opponent was far slower and more disruptive than Phoenix. In fact a bit more like Super Nova which would have been a good rubber had it not been quickly banned!

Bulldog.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2010, 07:36 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I got this information from Hallmark. Since Steve is a LP player himself and uses it, I'm sure this will be quite accurate;

Quote:
100% friction means full friction.
Friction Special 2 is slower than Pheonix. The pimples are medium/hard.
Friction Special 2 has a high level of control and topspins can be returned by chop/blocking with good effect.
Long pimples are not good for spinning but we consider 35 to be a good indication.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2010, 17:57 
The French ConnecTTion

Friction Super Special, the other LP that Hallmark has on the LARC, will be launched after Xmas. I asked Hallmark if they could give me info on it but their answer was no....
So we'll have to wait..... a bit more.

Cheers,
Ma'man

Blade : TSP Toccata Carbon Def
FH : Shark II 33° 2mm Black
BH : Octopus Ox red

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2010, 23:58 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

I think this is great news. Hallmark is a small TT company that had tough times with the frictionless ban - and made some mistakes which were costly I'm sure, to them and us. But ultimately, I think they are a great company who has produced some innovative products in the past and I really hope this new rubber launches them once more for all the right reasons. I expect I will try this one when it becomes available. I want to know speedwise how it compares to Meteor 8512 as if it's slower it may work on my mothballed firewall+ blade, which could be very interesting.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2010, 20:57 

Any news? Did somebody test this rubber?
I am very interested in having some comments about the performances of this new rubber.

Thanks in advance
Luca