OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 15:16

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2009, 00:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Rubber: Black
Thickness: 1.5
Blade: JZ Kevlar Best Defensive

General: A black sponge of reported 40 degree hardness, and a topsheet with some grip for an anti.

Speed: Slow compared to every current anti I've tried and this includes Super anti, Ellen defence, Neo anti, Toni hold new 40, Sriver Killer. Best suited for defence. NB The original toni hold anti was slower than this when it first came out.

Control: The slow speed makes for excellent control for placement on all shots, once you have adapted to the pace.

Spin: The top sheet has some grip, the sponge doesn't particualry provide any. Bottom line it absorbs spin and speed very well and you can produce a little on your own.

Blocking: Excellent for control and placement and slow enough to enable short blocks. No spin reversal to speak of.

Chopping: Very easy to chop and float with. You can be agressive with your shots due to how little it reacts to the incoming spin and speed and so generate a decent amount of chop. However, as with all anti's it is easier to chop harder when the incoming ball is loaded with top spin.

Hitting: It's slow so you can use a longer stroke and keep it on the table. It is relatively easy to hit angled shots with it as a result. The lack of pace relative to the length of your stroke, the angles and a flat hit (where you can generate some pace) can win you points.

Pushing: Very, very controlled due to slow pace for use in the short game and pushing to depths and angles.

Summary: Very good if you play a defensive strategy or desire control.

Additional info: The red 1.5 plays a little quicker and is slightly less grippy. IMO the difference between red and black is less in this anti than most others.

Edit: I use this rubber

If you've played this rubber and either agree or disagree with any of these findings please post as this may help other people make up their mind about the rubber.

Last edited by antipip on 07 Jul 2009, 02:08, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2009, 10:47 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

Antipip, nice comprehensive review :D

Couple of questions. When you press the rubber, what is the overall hardness? Would you consider it as soft? And is it possible to loop with this rubber?

Cheers.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2009, 11:19 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Very nice review, thanks antipip!

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2009, 01:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Thanks guys:
fattchoi:

I'd say it was reasonalby firm, certainly when compared to something like super anti (i've just compared it now). It does come in a softer option which i've not tried.

I wouldn't be using anti to loop with. Flicking a chopped ball on backhand is fairly easy, gentle rolls are possible, with loops you can go through the motion but there's no speed or spin on the ball to talk of, I suppose this may deceive some. Something like neoanti might allow this type of stroke to have a little something on it.

I think Hilton may have used this anti as it was probably only anti on the market at the time, some of his vids are on youtube and he may have played some of that type of stroke with it: (John Hilton). ToD or anyone else can you confirm this?
The toni hold anti back then is substantially slower than the joola toni hold stuff now. Antis tend to be made quicker now as the Joola is a slow one.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2009, 01:56 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
I experimented with this rubber and used once in competition (where I was beaten by an opponent whom I've never lost to before or since). It's quite fun to play with because of the slow speed and control, but in my hands it wasn't very dangerous. Very similar properties to Hallmark Mirage.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2009, 02:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

antipip wrote:
Thanks guys:
fattchoi:

I'd say it was reasonalby firm, certainly when compared to something like super anti (i've just compared it now). It does come in a softer option which i've not tried.

I wouldn't be using anti to loop with. Flicking a chopped ball on backhand is fairly easy, gentle rolls are possible, with loops you can go through the motion but there's no speed or spin on the ball to talk of, I suppose this may deceive some. Something like neoanti might allow this type of stroke to have a little something on it.

I think Hilton may have used this anti as it was probably only anti on the market at the time, some of his vids are on youtube and he may have played some of that type of stroke with it: (John Hilton). ToD or anyone else can you confirm this?
The toni hold anti back then is substantially slower than the joola toni hold stuff now. Antis tend to be made quicker now as the Joola is a slow one.

Yep, John had a game that reflected the same/similar strokes on both sides with both inverted and anti-loop. His Toni Hold sponge was "jazzed" up. Someone once told me that his bat prep area looked like a laboratory. He never disputed that, either.

His ability to twiddle and use either at will was amazing. He also had shots that began as a chop and ended up as a hit, particularly nasty with the anti-loop.

He was the person who introduced the idea, to me, of using spin max on long pips.
tOD

I am always on the look out for Hilton or Kilton equipment/memorabilia of any variety, condition and also Black Toni Hold and Tackiness without the ITTF logo(s). Some blades were marked Kilton instead of Hilton and John said he never knew why...a goof, license????

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2009, 09:19 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

Guys, thanks for the extra info on this :D

Cheers.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2010, 07:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I find it has excellent durability.

I have some original pre joola toni hold which is 40 years old and plays great, its a little quicker than it first was, but still a lot slower than the modern antis, great to chop, float and block with.

As for the Joola stuff I have some that is comfortably over 10 years old and it plays pretty much like it always did, they basically pick up a little speed as they age, too small to really notice unless you change a sheet.

PostPosted: 31 May 2011, 21:28 
Super User

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05
BH: Spinlab Vortex 2.3
I would like to add on this last remark that an aged Toni Hold develops a little spin reversal, which the "fresh" does not have at all. Its getting nastier with age (mine, on my second blade, is 12 yr).