OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 15:46

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2010, 03:01 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
auzcar wrote:
I'm going to buy either a NSD or a Tachi to go with my D.Tecs but can't really decide which one. What is the main differences in how they play with D.Tecs?

The Tachi was made for the D.Tecs and has superior braking effect, which is important for keeping blocked hard hits on the table. It's also a lot lighter. They are both great blades with the D.Tecs though.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2010, 03:42 
Super User

You have to remember that Tachi is a balsa based blade on the backward and it is extremely light. If you like the feel if balsa and its rebound with pips near the table, you should try Tachi. However, if you prefer traditional woods and can feel the ball better with a thinner, harder wood than go for NSD. I dont like the feel of a balsa core so as an away from the table chopper I would lean towards NSD with an occasionally block/chop block. If I were to stay at the table, Tachi would be a better choice.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2010, 06:10 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Xiom Omega VII Euro
BH: Dornenglanz ox
I play a blocking game at the table, but with a lot FH, I'm not a passive player. Usually I like thinner blades but I haven't tried any balsa blade though and the Tachi sounds really interesting. I'm a bit concerned if I will like the balsa-feel on the FH though. Reading the reviews I would lean towards the Tachi but going from past experiences I would lean towards NSD, but as I said, I haven't tried a balsa blade. I think that Tachi may suit my BH better but NSD would suit my FH better, but I might be wrong. The light weight of the Tachi is a plus, especially when the NSD is so big, and I don't like cutting my blades.

It's so much to consider but I feel that I'm leaning towards the NSD since my FH is the biggest part of my game. From what I've read, the NSD + D.Tecs also seems like a match made in heaven.

PS: Does the NSD have a balsa core? It says so in ErraTeam description...

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2010, 06:15 
Super User

NSD has no balsa.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2010, 06:21 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Ok, that was what I thought.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2010, 08:57 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Ok, now it's done, I've ordered a Nittaku Shake Defence. I think this will suit my overall gameplan and preferences better compared to the Tachi. The only thing I'm concerned about is the weight, especially as I'll probably use Neo H3 on my FH. BH with D.Tecs will probably work just fine.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2010, 23:00 
Super User

Blade: Donic alligator combi
FH: FS Bloom Power max.
BH: TSP curl P4 1,0mm
Hi Auzcar

I'm looking forward to your review of the NSD. Especially the comparison with the donic defplay (old model) I also use. You played the defplay also didn't you?

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2010, 23:22 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Yes, I play the Defplay Senso at the moment, this is the blade I always fall back on since it gives me quite good performance in my FH compared to other defensive blades I've tried. However, I hope and think that the NSD is going to be even better, especially on the BH, but also on the FH. I will write a review when I get it, but it will probably take 1-2 weeks.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2010, 23:27 
Super User

Yep. Same for me. And problably one of the fastest rubber on the FH. Lately i tried the appelgren allplay for a faster substitude. Didn't work.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2010, 06:27 
Super User

I was quite surprised at the performance of the NSD and think you will like it. It is a little bigger than I would like so i shaved it down slightly to about 16.5mm x 15.6mm to match the size of my Haneyoshi. Worked out well and the resulting weight was about 82g. I plan to give it another go this upcoming season.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2010, 09:02 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

I don't think I'll have much problems with the size but I might have some problems with the weight that goes with it, at least in the beginning. It still shouldn't be heavier than a double inverted normal size setup so it should be fine. I'll just play the first weeks with the standard size and then if I find it too heavy I might cut it down a bit, but I prefer not too.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2010, 17:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
it is difficult to move away from defplay senso,i too have tried numerous blades over the last 4 years but can`t find anything with the same backhand dampening/chopping ability that loops so well and surprisingly for a thin blade the ability to smash/kill the ball is up there,i too always come back to this blade

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2010, 09:40 
Super User

dazzler wrote:
it is difficult to move away from defplay senso,i too have tried numerous blades over the last 4 years but can`t find anything with the same backhand dampening/chopping ability that loops so well and surprisingly for a thin blade the ability to smash/kill the ball is up there,i too always come back to this blade

Yes, because of this dampening my opponents mishit the ball more often. Balls seem to hold up in he air.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2011, 06:20 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

The Nittaku Shake Defence arrived today and I immediately glued on a red Grass D.Tecs OX (with glue sheet) on the BH and Calibra LT max on FH before heading off to my practice. I got a good 2.5 hours of playing with it but most of that was matches, so I won't be able to a real in-depth review, I could however give some more insights in a couple of days if you're interested.

First of all I want to say that I'm very happy I bought D.Tecs with glue sheet and not without, since I had no trouble controlling the speed. Compared to my Defplay the NSD was a bit faster and a lot stiffer, which I liked, it increased the control by quite a bit. It also had lower throw.

Blocking: With D.Tecs I had really good control actually and quite a bit more reversal than I expected, this is probably because the NSD is a lot harder and stiffer than Defplay and all my other blades. Blocking with FH was also good. Overall blocking was really good with NSD because it's stiff, hard and yet absorbs quite a bit of pace.

Chopping: This was were I was most impressed, I couldn't miss a chop! With Defplay and it's flex it's quite easy to send the ball long when you chop really hard but this was not the case with NSD. I could keep my chops lower and with A LOT of spin, I had absolutely no problem whatsoever with pop-ups.

Pushing aggressively was very good especially against backspin and it was very insensitive to spin. Definitely the most insensitive setup that I've tried.

I didn't really get a long with the FH though but that's probably due to the Calibra LT that I haven't liked on any of the three other blades I've tried. I'm probably going to change FH rubber to something else, something light, somewhat soft and quite fast, any ideas? I've been thinking about one of the new XIOM rubbers, maybe Vega Europe or one of the Omegas. I think this blade needs a softer FH rubber.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 02:41 
Super User

Thx Auzcar for the short review.

I've just ordered the new donic alligator combi which hasn't arrived yet.

I was too impatient for your review :headbang: Maybe i'll have to buy the NSD after all. :P

- How big is "a bit faster" in relation to the speed difference between the defplay and the NSD?
- Did it feel soft on the backhand side because i like that?
- With the defplay it looks like with chopping the balls somewhat seem to hold up in the air. People often completely seem to miss the ball. Is this with the NSD also the case?

I have never played with the xiom vega europe but always with the asia version because it is quicker.