OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 21:04

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: TSP Curl PH Long Pips
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011, 19:07 

Howzit all,

I'm looking for some feedback on the TSP Curl PH Long Pips OX. I've been playing with Dr Neubauer Scalpel OX for awhile and just started to which to TSP PH. Just wanted to hear some comments.

A Hui Hou,
-Tim 8)

DONIC SLICE 40 1.5 BLACK
TSP CURL PH OX RED
BLADE: FIREWALL PLUS

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011, 19:56 

i completely hated this rubber. It was very affected by incoming spin. Pimples were so stiff making it almost unplayable.

It was so stiff that hitting with any kind of "brush" motion the ball becomes very slow

I don't know how to describe this motion, but "punching" or twitching wrist sideways motion does work well with good speed.

For me, it was very horrible. I was using the OX version and I play close to table. But I tried to chop a bit with it, was horrible too.

It was truly quite a disappointment as TSP traditionally make very interesting pips, long or short, and Bamboo Curl was one of the better FLP's. P-H was just horrible

At least for me, it was very bad. Maybe some other people will have better luck with it

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2011, 06:21 
Super User

I agree with moming1 that TSP Curl PH is fast and it is very difficult to play properly with it. It appears to be not a good rubber for a defensive player. It may be suitable for an attacking player.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2011, 06:49 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
GR wrote:
I agree with moming1 that TSP Curl PH is fast and it is very difficult to play properly with it. It appears to be not a good rubber for a defensive player. It may be suitable for an attacking player.

Moming didn't say it's fast, and I think it's actually one of the slowest LP around... but I found it to be too grippy, so I'd agree that it's probably more suited to an aggressive game.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2011, 08:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

For and 0x long pip it is realatively easy to hit with even against some topspin. It's claimed you push a push and its chop not topspin, so it's unusual. Against the harder hitters it was a little too quick for me.

I felt it was very much like a nice hardbat rubber (yes I know they used to be short pips).

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2011, 08:58 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
The sheet I tried, on passive blocks it was extremly slow... in the bounce test it also came out as one of the slowest. OK, perhaps on high impact it is much faster.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2018, 02:36 
Super User

This is an old thread but the title is right.
Some of what follows repeats what others have said.

Hard hits:
Contrary to some information we have, PH's base sheet is very noticeably thicker than P3 or P1-R.
If the hit is hard enough to dig into this base sheet, outrageous topspin drives are possible, as with P3 or P1-R but more so.
Also (maybe because it's also harder), these drives are *much* faster than those from P3.

Medium hits:
I see what others have said about this thing sending blocks back slowly. It's distinctive.
What about the transition between the hard and medium behavior? I haven't noticed a problem.

Soft hits:
It feels *hard*, as though the ball just bangs into the tops of the pips and bounces off. It's loud too.
What about reversal, or no-spin (as many have said)? I can't say, but there's some chaos going on (as opposed to for example P4 where both players know pretty well what's happening). Very interesting.

This is an offensive-spirited rubber, plus change-of-speed to keep the opponent off balance.
Don't know that I will switch to it, just telling you what I found.
These observations are close-to-table, on a hard and rigid blade.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2018, 03:55 
Super User

Blade: dr neubauer firewall +
FH: DHS skyline 3 neo 2.15 mm
BH: Dr. Neubauer Agressor 1.5
i played about 2 years with the TSP P&H. It is a very good Lp for all kind of shot. Good control. Can hit, counter top spin and good chopblock. It has this special feature on the pushes. It create knuckle ball. stronger you push against other chop more the ball fall down. At the beginning my pushes were always short and fall in the net. I notice the strong reversal it has specially on these shot. So the ball top spin heavily after my pushes. This happen against strong opponent backspin. I thought at the beginning that it was the heavy backspin of the opponent that react on the pimples and send the ball in the net like inverted rubber. But no, pimples don't do that. I used my black and white ball to see the rotation and the ball that goes in the net was having top spin. So I started to push haeavy and wow the ball fall down right after the net. The opponnent has some difficulties to play with that bal as it is short and spinny and can double bounce on the table. I also strait hit these ball with a side spin. It cretaed weird bounce.

I wrote that in an other forum and this is what I'm thinking of what has been said before:

I always been a big swinger for my shot. So I really felt that ittrue that the ball get grasped by the pips when there is quite some force on the shot. Rip chop, cut, counter. The pips being strong create a flat stroke if playing perpendicular to the ball with no angle than good reversal can occur. The reversal is less when you hit the ball with an angle as it grasp the ball. I feel playing with kind of MP and it has similar caracteristics. Look on the internet and you will see tons of forum on it. Go on the overview Pimple summary and clic on the TSP PH and you will go on the Noppentest site and you will get very good review.

P.s: Regarding the push, what it says is that the rubber create good nuckleball. Against other push, you push will have reversal and fall down right after the net if you push strongly. Flat hit create similar ball but faster and longer. Against top, you can grasp the ball and create a good push. I got the rubber out of my storage room and see if I can reproduce similar shot than the agressor. Beeing with agressor for about 3 months now, PH look like a small agressor. Ph has incredible control for me for the push. I may used it against other defender as the control on the table is fantastic. I always go into a rally of push against defender and got excellent result.

You may find also an other review from spinmantra where they compare all the TSp Lp. What they say about the PH is very accurate.

I will try it again tonight and will let you know of the finding compare to agressor. After 5 years that I put it on the shlves I know I learn a few trics and will see how the PH will do. In the last world tournament for women , the autralian girl is using PH to attack with it. ( Lay jiang fang.)

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2019, 22:37 
Super User

I played with Mp for about 6 months. My problems is that IM a very agressive player and sent the ball of the table too often. Playing more passively is making the opponents to drive throught me. I played agressor and Powers pipes. Theses pipes has thick and strong sponge 1,3 or 1,5 mm. The catapult effect is quite strong on the rubber. I feel I have to tame those beast and unfortunately I don't have time anymore to practice a lot.

So I tryed the TSP PH again yesterday for 3 hours. . ( 1,3mm) It is very slow but i really can play loose and I'm not afraid to send the ball outside. When I played this rubber for about 2 years, It was the smaller ball. Now the ball is bigger. As you read before, the shots of the PH is really good when it goes into the pips meaning at high tempo. Now with the bigger ball, it goes into the pips more easily. I also change my blade for a more all around ( phenomenon) instead of offensive blade ( VKM offensive). I can strongly really chop into it, flat hit, spin it a bit and they all fall down onto the table. The long defensive is also better. I played a very vertical cut shot and it is difficult to drive again and they have to have high arc loop to pass it. I can then counter hit or rip chop the loop. The block are also very slow and short. The looper who stand further from the table can easily be surprise with a block. If the looper just pushes my long chop defense I can strongly push back the ball giving a very long, low diving ball. The opponent often send back that ball floating I then turn around for my FH loop kill those ball that come back.

The push are my main weapon. It can be very long or very short depend of the angle. Often because i really push hard peoples think that it has underspin and they triend to loop the ball but because it is low they very ofyen loop outside of the table as the ball has light topspin instead.

I used to give about 5 pts per game on too long shot. Yesterday I may give 1 or 2 when I become too agressive.

So I think I will play with that rubber for a while. May tried the 1,7 mm for faster counter but I don't want ouside ball to come to hant me again.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2019, 01:14 
Super User

play with this rubber again this week. I played the best player of the league. At first I did the same mistake by playing too softly. My push didn't have any teeth. He drive, smash or loop my push.

I was loosing 2-0 and decide to play to go all in. I first get 6 inches further from the table to receive his serves. When he serve I got to step forward to reach to the ball. This give me weight and momentum to push the ball harder. I automaticaly feel the difference. The ball entered the pips and really plunged the ball trajectory. It was also much more fast. Playing angle was easier as the ball was not floating anymore and the direction was more precise. This aggressive move make me pivot more easily and was ready to loopkill his weaker returns. I came back at 2-2 and lost 12-10 at the last game. Nervousness at the end of the game also weak my agressive style. Leading 5-1 at the last game, I become more slower and hesitative.

Despite this lost I feel great to really understand that. The series are coming and we will meet again and hope to stay agressive and focus then.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2020, 00:11 

Blade: Ma Lin or Falck Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx 1.9mm
BH: Spinlord Kieler 1.8mm
Presumably the thinner sponge say 0.5mm will feel faster on flat hits like most long pimples do?

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2020, 01:16 

Blade: Ma Lin or Falck Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx 1.9mm
BH: Spinlord Kieler 1.8mm
if i said i was going back to lp from SP (too bouncy and my stroke is not flat enough)

I used meteorite and sword scylla and palio before and was quite good at hitting with all 3 especially sword in 0.8mm.
Now the main reason I stopped using lp was they made the blade feel hollower and like it had more vibrations (unpleasant ones) and also I did not like not being able to push the ball back with backspin.

I have a strong backhand hit and lift and chop especially when I can take a big swing or a hard swing, this seemed to be hard to control when i used spectol red especially with abs balls

so i assume curl ph would be more controlled in 0.5 than 1.8 spectol red?
maybe a bit softer on blocks
maybe a bit less spin sensitive (compared to Spectol Red)
but i could still do diggy pushes even though me and my opponent would know they were spinny.

presumably the hard ness of rubber would allow me to play a hard strong bh hit with some control, maybe more than a sword scylla would?

also as the rubber is hard and slow as you suggest in slow and mid shots I could actually put it on a carbon blade with 0.5mm to reduce the vibrations?

am i mad or does this sound relatively plausible?

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2020, 10:10 
Super User

I myself playing with moristo sp 1,4mm presently. I really liked the different shots I can play with it but I may have to stop it as I played a different BH hit than with LP. I need a lot of practice and got an elbow bursite as I forced too much on my BH to get it fast. The chops need to be done more horizontally and lower to the floor. I' m still hesitating on the time to get to a good point. I lost over 500 pts rating because of that. I personnaly didn't play with your 3 previous rubbers but from what you are saying the H&P is very easy to play for hitting and pushes. This rubber made me perform all kind of different shot over the table so it is a real chessgame with the opponent and really liked it.

The main reason I like it so much it that I can play my shot without holding the force I put into it. I'm not afraid to send it outside. Also this slow pace is also a real weapon to change pace all the time and finish the exchange with my FH powerloop.

I personnaly don't mind playing with all kind of sponge thickness. It is simply different for the shots and having really thin sponge behind make the speed of the ball too slow. On higher rating opponent I prefer a more thicker sponge for the variance of speed. It is not a variance of underspin and topspin ( with thin sponge or no sponge) but more a variance of speed and spin with excellent control against any spin send at me and ball placement.

I,m playing with an offensive blade 84gr. presently and like the feeling of it. My forehand powerloop are much stronger and it is much lighter for the bat combinaison. I stopped to play with a defensive blade.

I will let you know of my progress very soon.

I hope this answer your questions.