OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 07:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2011, 12:28 

Since my looping still isn't fantastic, and it's hard to find partners with whom I might practice looping, I've been trying to keep my serves up to par. Even though I'm a C-pen, I've always found Kenta Matsudaira's service so interesting, cool-looking, and effective as far as I can tell. (And yes, I'll always believe that tomahawk serves are not complete without some kind of weird-looking sumo squat.)

Lately, I've been trying to figure out how to perform C-pen tomahawk serves. I am a true believer in the power of experimentation.

Getting the forehand tomahawk serve was pretty simple, and I assume others have done it before. I use it pretty often to impart very heavy backspin (more so than my regular backspin serves). It's also pretty easy to vary, for the most part. It's the RPB tomahawk serve that's the problem. I just can't get it to work, but I want it to work so badly.

I've also been trying to figure out how to perform a penhold version of Ma Long's ridiculously weird and kinda random forehand sidespin serve from a backhand service starting position, as one can see in the video below at about 3:34. (With shakehand, it must be done using the forehand side, or it won't be the same serve. With C-pen, the motions can only be mimicked if you use the RPB side, so I guess one could call this serve a "true" penhold backhand serve.)

Still can't do it. It's not exactly uncomfortable. I just don't have the motion right yet. It's a serve that seems meant for people who are flexible and still have a lot of feel for the ball while having their wrist in seemingly contortionist-like positions.

Anyone else tried these serves out before, or would anyone like to try these and get back to me on what they think of them? Please include details on how I might be able to do it, if you can figure out/know how to get it right.

I hope I'm not the first to work on this. I'm REALLY hoping SOMEBODY on this forum has been able to pull off RPB tomahawk serves. I REAAAALLLY want them in my service arsenal, but I needs me some assistance!!

Blade: Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive C-pen
FH rubber: Hurricane 3 Neo Provincial 2.2mm black
BH rubber: Butterfly Sriver-EL 1.9mm red

Backup: DHS X4006 (Pre-assmebled, DHS PF4 rubber on both sides... oh, how unfortunate! I can't really afford another nice set like my primary. that set cost so much already...)

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2011, 00:27 

Lol, I too am a fan of Kenta's serves. I tried doing the tomahawk with the backhand side and it was too hard getting the blade to slice it for a backspin serve. The wrist and elbow just wouldn't allow it.

Wang Hao used to do a serve with the backhand side of his paddle and you could try it, if you want to catch people off guard.

Good luck with your experimentation. I would like to hear about your results.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2011, 22:48 
I am Legend
I am Legend

I've tried it and failed. Its definitely feasible but perhaps a bit difficult to coordinate, since you can't see your point of contact.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2011, 09:02 

Silver wrote:
Double Crappiness H3 Neo Prov

Just wanted to say, I like your sense of humor.

Blade: Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive C-pen
FH rubber: Hurricane 3 Neo Provincial 2.2mm black
BH rubber: Butterfly Sriver-EL 1.9mm red

Backup: DHS X4006 (Pre-assmebled, DHS PF4 rubber on both sides... oh, how unfortunate! I can't really afford another nice set like my primary. that set cost so much already...)

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2011, 19:56 

aha I used to do occassionlly reverse side to serve but it is tooo risky in my view. I always had problem with the right touch. Not too much touch for good spin or too much power/touch making it long serve with little spin.

And fingers are the real curse.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2014, 03:34 

I'm a penhold player, and wanted to emulate the Matsudaira tomahawk serve, not only Kenta's, but especially Shiho's; she mostly uses the backhand side. As has been said, it's not too bad on the forehand side, but how to do the backhand? Well, I experimented with some new grips, and came up with one. It's hard to describe, but allows a quick return to normal penhold after the serve. With this grip, I can do a strong backhand side tomahawk, with variations including backspin and topspin. Now I'm working on a sidespin version, and it's looking promising. The learning curve with the new grip was a long one; it took forever, and I still blow serves on occasion, but this serve with the new grip has turned out to generate the most points of any of my serves, and every time it's successful, I thank Shiho Matsudaira! For a while I was using the normal grip for the forehand side, but am starting to use the new grip for that one too, and will have a true tomahawk with either side, to keep the opponent guessing.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2015, 04:50 

This is a fun thread. I would love to see a video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2015, 12:44 

Blade: SK Carbon /Garaydia T5000
FH: H3 Neo/TibharEvolutionMXP
BH: Spectol S1 /VictasV>15
I would love to watch a video re tomahawk serve by Penholder. Not easy to find one in YouTube. :sweat:

The Buddha said: “The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly,...” And to play table tennis.

天下武功 ,無堅不摧 ,唯快不破