OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 19:00

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2007, 13:47 
Super User

Hi folks

Question: How similar/dissimilar are the Xi-Enting X560 titanium and carbon blade and the Dawei Wavestone Arylate Carbon Off+?

Advertising for X560 says:
Construction:
Patented handle design reduces vibration and reduces moisture from hands
Laser etched graphics on the surface of the blade.
Titanium Mesh,.stores Energy, Extremely sensitive rebound.
Composite layers of Titanium (looks like center layer) + 2 layer Carbon + Wood.
Optimised BIG sweetspot
Unbeatable formula

Characteristics:
Strong, fast, light and great control! Ideal for offensive Players.
Style: Quick loop drive / fast Attack
Thickness: 6.7+/-0.2mm
Weight: 86+/-2g
Handle: Flared

The advertising for the Wavestone reads:

This is a High-Tech 5-ply blade (2 arylate-carbon, 3 wood). It implements the new IB TECH technology, which improves speed, balance, control and provides better touch. The high grade carbon layers provide a huge sweetspot. The Arylate dampens the excess vibrations caused by impact, and provides a much softer feel to the blade. This blade offer huge power at all distances, and is outstanding for looping, power drives, smashes and blocking, but has soft enough feel for some touch shots.
It's hollow handle and light weight construction provides a nicely balanced light blade.
Ratings:
Speed: OFF+ 9.5+
Control: 9

Last edited by andrefox on 11 Nov 2007, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2007, 14:06 
A Beautiful Brain

The Wavestone blade feels good to play with...Nicely balanced with its hollow handle, and it has a large sweet spot...mine weighs 86 grams...
I have just bought a lighter blade..73 grams, and I will see how much different the new TSP is tomorrow night.
I cant pass an opinion on the Xi-Enting blade, but it sounds OK...remembering that it is advertising blurb

fosss

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2007, 14:52 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
The 560 would be a lot more rigid and hard compared to the wavestone. This does not make it better or worse, just suits different styles and personal preferences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2007, 16:54 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
The 560 would be a lot more rigid and hard compared to the wavestone. This does not make it better or worse, just suits different styles and personal preferences.

Would 'more rigid and hard' translate into more/less control; more/less speed; more/less spin all other things being equal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2007, 17:08 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes it does, but it depends on your style...

The 560 would have poor control for chopping, but excellent for hitting...

The 560 suits a more hitting/driving style, whereas the wavestone a more power looping style. The Wavestone would generate more spin on loops, but the 560 is porbably more powerful....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2007, 17:20 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

The Xi-teng would be heavier than the advertised 86g, great blade
handle is simliar to Iolite or the violin. Speed wise it is FAST! Alot faster than compared with the wavestone blade, Rigid and hard would mean that it is a solid blade (no vibrations)
However I have once owned a Wavestone. I didn'e like it so much (..sorry Speedplay) but I just hated the shape of the head, I remembered it being wide at the bottom. I couldn't get any of my old rubber to fit properly, I finally gave my wavestone too one of the younger guys at my club for a pack of cigs

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2007, 17:46 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
metal monkey wrote:
I finally gave my Wavestone to one of the younger guys at my club for a pack of cigs.

Haha. Wavestone for cigs! I bet that really pisses off Speedplay! He might argue that you should have at least gotten a bottle of Kitty, or was it Cat single malt out of that exchange... :lol:

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2007, 17:58 
I am Legend
I am Legend

They had better have been good cigs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2007, 23:09 
Super User

I've had a X560 for a few months and have used it on and off between excursions to the dark side. I actually find that it has pretty good touch for push shots and will block well. It really is too fast for chopping.

I am now going to really focus my efforts on looping properly. I have a coach lined up to help me get going with this. At this stage I'm really struggling with correct leg/hip/shoulder/arm sequence for the shot and will first work to get this going more automatically. Presently I use much to much forearm in my shots.

Once I have the gross movement technique sorted out better, I will think some more about the refinements. I guess I place bat and rubber selection in this category.

Soooo, I am wondering whether I am likely to get a better overall result with the Wavestone when compared to the X560 which I know.

Some of the comments offered are helpful in this regard. I will talk it through with my coach and see if he can make useful comments based on how I am progressing.

AF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2007, 01:06 
Super User

Focus in practice more ... Personnaly I loop better with stiff and rigid stuff. Kreanga loops great with rigid stuff.

So here are 2 examples off great players who loop better with rigid, stiff setups :lol:

By the way , how it is 560 compared with Instinct or something famous(Primorac, Schlager , Mazunov etc) just to have an idea ? How is the craftmanship ? How is the sound ? Is it head heavy ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2007, 08:08 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

vali wrote:
Focus in practice more ... Personnaly I loop better with stiff and rigid stuff. Kreanga loops great with rigid stuff.

So here are 2 examples off great players who loop better with rigid, stiff setups :lol:

By the way , how it is 560 compared with Instinct or something famous(Primorac, Schlager , Mazunov etc) just to have an idea ? How is the craftmanship ? How is the sound ? Is it head heavy ?

Sure you can loop with these setups, if you choose the right rubber it will proabbyl work just fine, but in general they are not as suitable for looping as softer and more flexible blades...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2007, 17:33 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
vali wrote:

Sure you can loop with these setups, if you choose the right rubber it will proabbyl work just fine, but in general they are not as suitable for looping as softer and more flexible blades...

I agree with that ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2007, 20:18 

The Wavestone is great for looping. You can get great amounts of kick off the table with this blade. I use it with a TSP 21 triple offensive which supposedly is great for top spin and it really does work.

The blade is actually quite light. when I first received it, everyone commented on how the Maxim combo was alot heavier. Obviously rubbers play a part but I dont think the Wavestone is heavy at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2007, 00:29 
Super User

vali wrote:
haggisv wrote:
vali wrote:

I agree with that ...

But why the majority of the great loopers are using stiff or nearly stiff (including carbon ones ) blades . Only defensive or chop players are using flexible blades ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2007, 01:05 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I'm not so sure that is the case, I was under the impression the majority still use all wooden blade... not sure about stiffness though....