OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:02

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Coaching - Adelaide
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2011, 16:06 
Super User

I live in Adelaide, and I am looking for personal coaching services, does anyone here on the forums know of a place that offers these services?

S#1: Joola Wing Passion Fast, FH: 729 Cream 2.2, BH: 802-40 2.
S#2: Joola Trix Medium, FH: Hurricane 3 Neo 2, BH: 279 FX Lightning 2.2.
S#3: Galaxy 896, , BH: Pro XP 2.FH: Pro XP 2.2
S#4: Senso Waldner Carbon, FH: Apollo I 2.2, BH: Blowfish Plush Short Pimple Tensor.

S#4: Giant Dragon Kris Special, FH: Giant Dragon TaiChi Soft, BH: Giant Dragon Meteorite Soft.

Post subject: Re: Coaching - Adelaide
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2011, 16:14 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I'm sure Dan will know! ;) Maybe Dan can be your coach? :rock:

Seems you play at the same club, right? :up:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2011, 17:17 

John is coaching at East Adelaide Table Tennis club, at Newton. The Table Tennis Centre at Payneham may also have coaching service, I am not so sure.
You may find their contact nos at the Adelaide table tennis websites at:
http://www.eastadelaidettc.org.au
http://www.payntt.com.au

If you are located at the southern side of the city, try
http://www.sttc.org.au

Failing all above, there is a collective reference web sites for you at:
http://www.tabletennissa.com.au/Club%20 ... /Clubs.htm

Hope those shall be of use to you.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2011, 18:59 
Super User

the east Adelaide has personal training services, Thank you for the help! :), I doubt Dan would be bothered with me :lol:

S#4: Senso Waldner Carbon, FH: Apollo I 2.2, BH: Blowfish Plush Short Pimple Tensor.

S#4: Giant Dragon Kris Special, FH: Giant Dragon TaiChi Soft, BH: Giant Dragon Meteorite Soft.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2011, 23:32 

Glad you get the coaching service. Does it mean you will be playing at that place?

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 06:24 
Super User

I expect so, do you play there?

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 08:40 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I read you're interested in playing with LPs. If you're looking for a coach that can teach you that, I think you'll get disappointed.... I expect most do not know the basics, and they will likely discourage you using it.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 09:34 
Super User

Yes, unfortunately that is true, however I am picking plenty of information up from instructional videos and articles on the internet.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 09:35 
Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
I'm sure Dan will know! ;) Maybe Dan can be your coach? :rock:

Seems you play at the same club, right? :up:

Haha, I probably could, but I barely have enough time to practice myself, never mind coach anyone else, especially when there is a perfectly good coach at the club ;)

Velonstrials wrote:
the east Adelaide has personal training services, Thank you for the help! :), I doubt Dan would be bothered with me :lol:

Is there a reason you particularly want personal coaching? or don't like the current coaching that you are already getting? I wont go into details here, but I wouldn't really recommend the coaching up at East Adelaide :P I don't know of too much other personal coaches in SA (I might not be up to date with who is exactly offering coaching services), but I have heard a number of people say it wasn't worth the money when they did it.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 10:14 
Super User

I do agree, Bill is a good coach. However since he coaches a whole group of people, he only focuses on one different skill every week. And therefore cannot develop one persons game as a whole.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 12:07 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

Velonstrials wrote:
I do agree, Bill is a good coach. However since he coaches a whole group of people, he only focuses on one different skill every week. And therefore cannot develop one persons game as a whole.

But isn't the point of getting better is by focusing on one skill a week? I'm sure you can safely look at another skill at the same time, but you don't want to spread yourself out too thin. Developing a persons game as a whole begins with one step at a time. When you're confident and, more importantly, when your coach is confident that you can focus on another area of development then you'll progress more quickly and with a sound foundation. You have to be careful about wanting to progress too quickly, too hastily. Is it an issue of getting bored? If so, welcome to the world of getting better at TT. ;)

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 13:09 
Super User

I do not mean that one skill a week is not enough, I mean overall there will be gaps in my learning because Bill only focuses on one thing that works for the whole community.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 13:37 

Is that really how he works? I mean, you'd think that he would have the time and understanding not to keep some players doing the same routines if the majority of the group are still grappling with the basics. Have you spoken to him about it? A good coach or teacher should be able to work with a group with different needs. I can accept that some of the more involved techniques, like chopping, might put extra strain on his abilities, but, generally, it shouldn't be a problem.

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 14:38 
Super User

He does keep everyone doing the same routines, except with variations depending on ones skill level. However as you said things like chopping or any alternate styles that differ from the usual, double inverted looper he can not cater for, because he has to provide for the whole group.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 15:20 
Super User

I think you would be best speaking to him and letting him know what you want to get out of the session, he definitely will work on routines and and give other advice. It's just tricky when you are coaching groups of players which are always different. The more interest you show and the more you try to get out of it, the more Bill will put in. You have to understand that there are so many players to coach of different levels and different interests, which makes it difficult to give everyone individual advice, especially when a lot of players don't always take things seriously or put in the hard work, causing the coaching to be wasted on them. I think if you show him that the special attention on you will be worthwhile, then you will get it. I don't think you need to worry about gaps in your learning, Bill has coached a number of state champions, as well as players who have gone on to play at nationals at Junior, Senior, and Veterans levels. Not everyone gets his coaching style, but if you do, he has a wealth of knowledge that will help you, and as you move up through the ranks you will be exposed to other opportunities in training groups if you end up playing in state teams, or other high level competitions (not saying these state training sessions are the best thing all the time though).