OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 23:39

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Armstrong Short pimples
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2012, 19:37 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Armstrong has probably the largest range of short pimple rubbers, here is the list from the latest ITTF Larc:

Aka Mark Max Out
Attack 3 Type L Out
Attack 3 Type M Out
Attack 8 Type L Out
Attack 8 Type M Out
Attack 8 Type M EXX Out
Long Pimple Out
Red Mark Type 1-3 Out
Red Mark Type 1-4 Out
Red Mark Type 1-5 Out
Rosin Out
Twister EXT Out
W-α Εx x Out

Does anyone know what all the numbers on those names mean? What about the letter M and L?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2012, 19:40 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
I have no idea what the numbers mean....but i do know that the L and M mean medium or large pips....the medium ones tend to have less spin more speed and the large more spin less speed....similar to that of friendship 802 vs 802-40

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2012, 20:15 

Armstrong is expert of SP long time ago. I have studies Armstrong SP in the past. There are a number of SP. And there are different specifications of each SP. And the thickness is different than other brand. I have used AKL mark 1-3, Rosin, Attack 3 L. If u need the characteristic of them, i can let u know.

Simply speaking, S is small pips. M is medium pips. L is large pips.
1) Attack 3 is a 1.2mm height SP
2) Attack 8 is a 1.2mm height SP with smaller pips. The characteristic likes RITC 563
3) Red Mark Type is a typical SP like spectol. I recommand this.
4) Rosin is a SP which can loop

Last edited by Johnny1996 on 21 Feb 2012, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2012, 22:32 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Johnny1996 wrote:
Armstrong is expert of SP long time ago. I have studies Armstrong SP in the past. There are a number of SP. And there are different specifications of each SP. And the thickness is different than other brand. I have used AKL mark 1-3, Rosin, Attack 3 L. If u need the characteristic of them, i am let u know.

Simply speaking, S is small pips. M is medium pips. L is large pips.
1) Attack 3 is a 1.2mm height SP
2) Attack 8 is a 1.2mm height SP with smaller pips. The characteristic likes RITC 563
3) Red Mark Type is a typical SP like spectol. I recommand this.
4) Rosin is a SP which can loop

Thank you so much Johnny1996, that is great help! :up: :up: :up:

I've been doing some research on their pips, but it's so hard to find ANY information on them, so any help is very much appreciated!

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2012, 01:38 

AKA Mark and Rosin are short pips. Attack 3 and 8 are medium pips. There are different sponges and pip sizes of each item. Attack 8 is even more complicated. I can post some pictures if needed. :D

Before selecting a pips from Armstrong, u must know how to interpret the thickness of the sponge. It ranges from 4 mm to 2mm. Pls refer below table.

sponge thickness

4mm (Armstrong's version)--> 2.1mm(normal version)
3.5mm--> 1.8mm
3mm--> 1.5mm
2.5mm--> 1.2mm
2mm--> 1.0mm

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2012, 11:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Wow, it is good that at least one person in the English speaking world knew something about this product line. I for one had no idea whatsoever. I've never actually been sure where to buy them, the only thing I knew was that Ai Fukuhara uses one of their products (or did at one point).

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2012, 01:35 

U can buy Armstrong from iruiru. Ai Fukuhara used Attack 8. But, i don't know which type of Attack 8. :(

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2012, 21:23 
Super User

Rosin is quite popular on the French forums. Haggisv are you thinking of stocking Armstrong products?

http://www.tennis-de-table.com/materiel ... rong/Rosin (Use google translate to get the gist.)

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2012, 22:41 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

bvautier wrote:
Rosin is quite popular on the French forums. Haggisv are you thinking of stocking Armstrong products?

http://www.tennis-de-table.com/materiel ... rong/Rosin (Use google translate to get the gist.)

Thanks bvautier!

Yes we plan to carry them in OOAk Shop, but sorting out which (and what thickness) are worth carrying is proving to be quite difficult! :(

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2012, 08:20 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
bvautier wrote:

Thanks bvautier!

Yes we plan to carry them in OOAk Shop, but sorting out which (and what thickness) are worth carrying is proving to be quite difficult! :(

Great! I have always been interested in trying out Rosin. From the reviews the 1.8mm and 1.5mm on the Rosin work best.

You can also go to this page http://www.tennis-de-table.com/materiel ... /armstrong to see all the reviews of Armstrong rubbers.

Here is a quick summary with sponge thickness recommendations.

Rosin: Is a short/mid pimple out rubber. Very versatile. Is fast enough to attack and win points outright, and has excellent touch and control. Sponge thickness 1.5 or 1.8mm.

Attack 3: Is a mid pimple best in OX. Tremendous control. Insensitive to spin, but not extremely deceptive. Very good at blocking. Not very fast but you can attack with it.

New Chopper: Tackiness C replacement. Best in 40 deg sponge. 1mm to 1.5 mm. Tacky surface. Excellent quality. Can generate huge backspin at the table.

New Anti spin: Mixed impressions. Get's better with time. Doesn't look like it is anything exceptional.

Hikari SR7 Cutman: Defensive rubber. Excellent backspin. Recommended sponge thickness 0.5 to 1mm. Good control.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2012, 08:48 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks a lot bvautier, very useful! :up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 14:06 

I have a slightly different ideas regarding Rosin and Attack 3.

Rosin is a short pips (1mm height). The pips size is medium. it is easily to loop. The control is ok but not extremely good since the spacing between the pips are big and the medium size pips. For blocking, it is only acceptable. For sponge thickness, it depends. If u used speed glue, 1.8mm is OK. I am not sure the performance of using water based glue. May be thinner sponge is better.

Attack 3 is a medium pips (1.2mm height). The pips size are big and medium with 2 versions. For big pips size, the control is good and spin is OK. For blocking, there is sinking effect. For sponge thickness, it is same as Rosin.

If need, i can post some pictures to show the pip height and size. :D

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 16:34 
Super User

Johnny1996 wrote:
I have a slightly different ideas regarding Rosin and Attack 3.

Rosin is a short pips (1mm height). The pips size is medium. it is easily to loop. The control is ok but not extremely good since the spacing between the pips are big and the medium size pips. For blocking, it is only acceptable. For sponge thickness, it depends. If u used speed glue, 1.8mm is OK. I am not sure the performance of using water based glue. May be thinner sponge is better.

Attack 3 is a medium pips (1.2mm height). The pips size are big and medium with 2 versions. For big pips size, the control is good and spin is OK. For blocking, there is sinking effect. For sponge thickness, it is same as Rosin.

If need, i can post some pictures to show the pip height and size. :D

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for the input. I have never tried the Armstrong rubbers but was going off what others have said about the rubbers. I have heard a lot of good things about the Rosin, so I have always been interested in trying it out.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 20:06 

Actually, there are 4 versions of Rosin with different sponge hardness. It may cause different results of Rosin. My review is based on Rosin 3.5mm (1.8mm in other brands) with sponge PZC-SP. it is a extremely soft sponge with 25 degree. I guess that the control may be better or solid if it changes to a slightly harder sponge. The sponge PZC-SP is over soft but don't have tension feeling. :?:

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2012, 22:20 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Isn't that version of Rosin meant for the large (44mm) balls?