OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 06:34

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2012, 09:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
Strong odor upon opening the package.
Recently been using gambler outlaw cream sponge 2.15 red x 7-8 months almost exclusively some much will be compared to it

Blade-galaxy De-1, unsealed w straight handle using tearmender to attach
G4-matte finish-hard to see pips through the rubber.
Sponge-bright red (similar to sanwei TIII)
stamped with rubber name, hardness, thickness AND a date (I like that!!) Sheet not curled or dome up like outlaw (also used only tearmender-no rubber cement, no tuning of any kind)

Day 1-4 hour training session-no matches.
This rubber is heavier than my outlaw, but much lighter than sanwei TIII, albeit both are max sponge and mine is 2.0)
Coach-felt it was similar to outlaw, but had more dwell time
first day impressions-i could play with it very similar to outlaw, hardly any adjustment to stroke. I did feel more control and did not have the occasional long ball that I have with outlaw. It looped well and my opponents that the speed/spin were similar on topspin strokes. I was surprised however that during a blocking drill I kept putting the ball into the net. Indeed the only time I used outlaw during my almost 4 hour session was when I was doing a blocking drill.
I was pleasantly surprised that 2.0 sponge had enough powerr-I have always felt the chinese rubber always need the max thickness.
In terms of combine rubber/sponge hardness subjectively it feels a little harder than both Razka 7 (regular) and Outlaw classic 2.15.
I did bang the table pretty hard and ended up with a small rubber tear on the edge. My fault. Any rubber hit that hard would tear. Outlaw would have torn badly. My first thought when it happened was that I would have to order a sheet to complete my review responsibilities.

Last thought of opening session-I assumed that I would not like this rubber as much as outlaw-but during the first session I started to wonder if I may buy some more sheets and stay with this stuff!

Session 2-2 hour training session-again no matches
I felt it played very well at the table. During warm-up drills with my coach I had great control. However when I was looping to his BH cross court from my FH (I am right handed, he is left handed) no matter how hard I looped he could get it back. With outlaw that is mostly true but I can occasionally rip one he can't handle-not true for G4.

This session was less FH work than usual, but I did have to do a drill which involved chopping two loops with my BH with the 3rd ball looped to my FH all from mid distance. This is the one stroke that I had huge adjustment issues compared to outlaw. I had a very difficult time getting the ball on the table. Most shots went long. With outlaw my opponents shot really engages the sponge, but with G4 it required a very deliberate, conscious effort on my part and there was relatively decent spin on my shot, but not point winning shots.

As stated earlier, I really need to get some match play with it. I am now done with some traveling responsibility and look forward to some match play this week along with 2 good training sessions with a coach.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2012, 09:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2012, 10:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2012, 23:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Last night during match play lost a chunk out of the side. More to follow

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2012, 12:42 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Nasty! more chunks to follow? :^) 8) :lol:

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2012, 08:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

This is the first tear on this sheet.

Well I guess I am about done with my evaluation of this sheet of G4-its probably at the point that I could (or at least I wouldn't) use it in a tournament. All in all I like this rubber. As other reviewers have noted it is not the fastest rubber out there. It however is a good control rubber and probably the best chinese brand I have used or tried with 2.0 sponge in the post speed glue era. I could absolutely use this rubber if it was readily available. I probably would try the max thickness if I was going to use it long term. It is more of a control rubber, but you can generate good speed and spin. I really felt the opponents spin was much easier to control with it. It may play better yet on a faster blade than my slowish defensive blade and it wouldn't hurt if you had a hard blade or carbon.

Thank you for letting me try this rubber. It certainly makes me want to try more giant dragon products such as the Kris blade and the snowflake LP.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2012, 08:33 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks a lot vanjr! :up:

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2012, 09:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ALL-the above mentioned sheet is available if anyone would like to try. It is cut for a galaxy de-1 blade-151 mm wide by 159 mm tall. See pictures for nicks, edge problems.

Oh, and i will mail to you for free-well depending on how much it is-would not want to spend more than 5 or 10 dollars US to mail it. It won't come "overnight" that is for sure. You can PM me or reply to this post.

van

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2012, 07:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I mailed this sheet to li2so4 and will let him (or is it her based on avatar?) give their opinion.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2012, 08:10 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Good on you! I think we're getting a very good overview of the rubber's performance this way! :up:

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2012, 10:54 
Super User
Super User

it's a him :rofl: :rofl: i'm looking to change the avatar, but i just can find a picture that i like. anyways, when the rubber gets here, i'll do a review

FH: Curl P-1R

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2012, 11:57 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

li2so4 wrote:
it's a him :rofl: :rofl: i'm looking to change the avatar, but i just can find a picture that i like. anyways, when the rubber gets here, i'll do a review

Perhaps we can help... what sort of picture are you after?

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2012, 02:04 
Super User
Super User

haggisv wrote:
Perhaps we can help... what sort of picture are you after?
i have no idea, maybe you could suggest me something

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2012, 12:29 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I would, but I need something go on...anything that do do, either related to TT or others things in life, and I can suggest something.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2012, 21:26 
Super User
Super User

maybe the picture of a paddle during a stroke or a serve, with the ball still making contact with the rubber... do you know what i mean?