OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 20:01

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: To All Aussie.....
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012, 14:25 

I was tempted to write this in the Equipment Section as I believe many people would read this, but out of courtesy, I write it in OOAK Lounge.

My friends have always been debating which one is better: Sydney vs. Melbourne. Since I have never been to the Land Down Under, so I am very curious now, which one is actually better for visiting, and which one is actually better for living ???

I hope I don't create a riot here.

Thanks...... :D

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Re: To All Aussie.....
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012, 14:47 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Well I have lived in both and I would say Melbourne. The roads are better organised, it doesn't sprawl quite as much and the sporting events are arguably better, and the cost of living isn't quite as high. Having said that, it depends a lot on what you are into. Sydney has the harbour which is a fantastic spectacle for water sports and boating, and I think Sydney's beaches are nicer. It also depends on which are of each city you live to, as this will determine access to a lot of the available activities. Both cities have reasonable, but not fantastic, public transport (although I don't regard either as terribly safe). I must say Sydney's public transport is the only one I was ever offered to buy drugs on, and I've been on it much less than Melbourne. Mind you the drug dealer was a lot more friendly than some of the trash that rides Melbourne's trains :lol:

In regards to TT, I didn't play when I lived in Sydney, but I think it may be about equal in terms of availabilty. Not quite sure.

All in all, I prefer Melbourne, but then I have spent more time in Melbourne than Sydney so it may bias my thoughts. It would be interesting to hear the thoughts of others. Personally, if I could live anywhere in Australia, it wouldn't be Melbourne or Sydney. It would probably be a country area not prone to flooding or bushfire ;) :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012, 14:56 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

wouldn't want to live in either permanently, but I like visiting melbourne more than sydney.

Perth and Brisbane (BIAS) are better.

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012, 15:08 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

Melbourne has been voted most livable city many times for good reason ...

Just some of the reasons I prefer Melbourne over Sydney include, 1) culturally diverse, best experienced by visiting the numerous eating houses; 2) extensive transportation system, read: Melbourne has trams; 3) plenty to do at night, something I had trouble doing in Sydney because it seemed to close down after 5.30 pm; 4) arts focused, if you don't believe me then you haven't seen the legal graffiti in some of the laneways of Melbourne; 5) sports focused, it seems Melbourne hosts more sporting events than the rest of the country combined; and 6) parks and gardens, I recommend chasing possums in the Fitzroy Gardens at 2 am.

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012, 15:17 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

SuperHappyFunSlider wrote:
wouldn't want to live in either permanently, but I like visiting melbourne more than sydney.

Perth and Brisbane (BIAS) are better.

Never lived in either city, but have visited both, and they both have their pluses. Loved Brisbane's river ferry-taxi, but requires you to live/park near to a "port". Perth is just easy to get around and has some wonderful features like Kings Park and its wineries. Both of them suffer from being too hot for my liking at times though (more than either Sydney or Melbourne do). The best thing about Brisbane besides Southbank and the ferries was that its close to the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast. Melbourne still does it for public transport and ease of navigation overall though I think. I like Adelaide over them all for this though I think. Adelaide has a lot going for it except it seems to shut down early and on weekends.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012, 15:48 

Wow, thank you for all the responses. I am quite amazed that you can be offered drugs in public transport system. Yeah, I think there are lots of things to see in Australia, besides those two cities.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012, 16:33 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
I like Adelaide over them all for this though I think. Adelaide has a lot going for it except it seems to shut down early and on weekends.

Not any more... it's all changed now in the metropolitan areas.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012, 17:15 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

They are both terrible places to live and dumps like all big cities. From a tourist perspective Sydney being in a naturally more beautiful area, 10 times, 100 times better looking than Melbourne. That's simply the best one to visit to _see_ things. Sydney's beaches are world class, the botanic gardens are quite a lot better than Melbourne's there's rivers lakes and and water everywhere it just looks way better as a whole.

Melbourne is a darker place more European and more quirky and probably has the better shops and restaurants and certainly a better place for a table tennis player to live since it has that kind of oddball vibe. Sydney is too cool for table tennis players, if you are leaving the city the mountainous forests around Melbourne are better than the mountains around Sydney. But the city itself, no comparison Sydney is the _much_ better looking place. best city to live in? neither, both cities have far too many dodgy people per acre. Hobart or Adelaide just on the fact of being smaller and more quiet are much better for living in. Brisbane for some reason gives me feelings of being a dump also :P.

All in all like Reb mentioned the best place for living is no where near a city or even a large town, if you can withstand the lack of money that's where you need to be

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012, 17:48 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
here's the rating by locals in today's paper...

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sydney-nsw/sydney-darwin-still-the-pits-in-annual-list-of-australias-most-liveable-cities/story-e6freuzi-1226310242708

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012, 20:31 
Two Winged Warrior

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
I must say Sydney's public transport is the only one I was ever offered to buy drugs on, and I've been on it much less than Melbourne. Mind you the drug dealer was a lot more friendly than some of the trash that rides Melbourne's trains :lol: :

You should visit Amsterdam :rofl:

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012, 23:20 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

There's really only 2 things that keep me in Melbourne. One of them is table tennis! :lol:

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 07:08 
Super User

Lived in Melbourne for a few years.Amazingly nice city centre,great public transport but Perth is better.

Check this Perth video out,the blonde girl is miss uni.....

&feature=player_embedded

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 08:13 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
ROLF, that's hilarious! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 17:50 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

haggisv wrote:
ROLF, that's hilarious! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah...nah!

Not like anywhere else.

Makes me wanna go there (nah ... yeah!) :?:

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 18:26 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

The only thing wrong with Perth is its 4000km from Melbourne :lol:

Then again maybe thats whats good about it! :rofl:

Actually there is one other thing odd with Perth. Its International airport is a tin shed :lol:

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!