OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 09:12

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2011, 05:18 

Dirty trick sure but legal. :D Kinda like swining hard at a lob and missing the ball on purpose only to dink it short on the next swing. I hate that one

Tri-carbon HAMMER

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2011, 16:17 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
anti Don wrote:
Dirty trick sure but legal. :D Kinda like swining hard at a lob and missing the ball on purpose only to dink it short on the next swing. I hate that one

True Anti-don, but that one seems less "dirty" for some reason, don't know why. :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2011, 08:33 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Someone should really summarise the Q & A in this section, as it's getting so big it's very hard to find... It's got some great discussions and senarios though...

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2011, 21:19 

Question on serving in Doubles :
-------------------------------------
I have observed a numbers of ITTF Doubles matches that had differences in the order of serving, and I am totally confused :

e.g.
At the Japan Open Women Doubles Final,
LiJW(A)/WangYG(B) vs Fuji(X)/Waka(Y)
Game 1 : A serves to X
Game 2 : Y serves to B
Game 3 : A serves to X
Game 4 : Y serves to B
Game 5 : A serves to X
[seems to have a consistent pattern so far...]

At the Austrian Open Women Doubles Final,
FanYan(A)/WuYang(B) vs DingNing(X)/LiXiaoXia(Y),
Game 3 : B serves to Y
[was there an error of serve order in Game 3 ?]

At the Austrian Open Men Doubles Final,
MaLin(A)/ZhangJK(B) vs WangHao(X)/MaLong(Y),
Game 3 : A serves to X
Game 5 : B serves to Y
[what happened at Game 5 ???]

And then I take a harder look at the rule :

2.13.4 In each game of a doubles match, the pair having the right to serve first shall choose which of them will do so and in the first game of a match the receiving pair shall decide which of them will receive first; in subsequent games of the match, the first server having been chosen, the first receiver shall be the player who served to him in the preceding game.

So does it mean at each game (as in every game of a 7-game Match) the serving side can decide which player to serve first ? Rather than a fixed order from the first game ? Then may be the above 3 examples are all correct, as it was the serving side's decision who to serve ?

But what is still puzzling is that the Umpire actually called out the server's and receiver's name, sounded as if the Umpire was giving the instruction. Or was she just announcing it for what she observed the outcome ?

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2011, 03:39 
Super User

Yes, in every game the serving side can decide which player will serve first and the receivers adapt to this.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2011, 20:14 
Stir Crazy

wfberkhof wrote:
Yes, in every game the serving side can decide which player will serve first and the receivers adapt to this.

This was new to me as well, but you're absolutely correct.

The crucial part in 2.13.04 is "In each game of a doubles match, the pair having the right to serve first shall choose which of them will do so ..."

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2011, 00:02 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
So what about those weird double hits where you hit it normally and a fraction of a second later your bat hits it again? Does that end the point?

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2011, 01:53 
Super User

Double hits used to end the points, but I believe it was September 2010 when they changed the rules on that so that an unintentional double hit does not end the point any more.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2011, 23:22 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Yes I think they added the word deliberate in the double hit rule, meaning only a deliberate double hit is now a fault.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 21:31 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

pondersaizi wrote:
Say you've got lighting, where the fluros hang down from a high ceiling with chains. You lob the ball really high, and the ball goes over the light between the chains, but does not make contact with anything..

All good just carry on

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 04:06 

Ok, the last match in the competition (official dutch regional league), I had an argument with my opponent over my fast serve.
As far as I know, you have to throw the ball up at least 15cm in the air (leaving the hand ofcourse) before a serve.
However, she argued that I didn't throw the ball high up enough or served from my hand. Which is ridiculous because I always pay attention to this and never had a complaint before.
But, I do know I have a slight problem, my left hand always follows the movement of the ball a bit after I throw it up. It doesn't conceal the ball in any way for the oppoent, but it does follow the balls trajectory a bit, which might give the impression I don't throw it high up enough.

Is there any rule on this? Should I somehow keep my left hand steady or away. I know it's illegal to conceal the ball in anyway too but it's not the case. Nobody ever had a problem with the way I do my fast serve before

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 04:34 

First of all, the rule says at least 16cm, not 15cm. So based on that already, I suppose all your serves are illegal. ;)

The ball really has to travel at least 16cm AFTER leaving the palm. Often players lift the hand and kind of carry the ball upwards rather than tossing it, only releasing it at the end so that it climbs up another few centimeters. If that's your case, you need to make the toss more pronounced.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 05:10 

TTTTT wrote:
First of all, the rule says at least 16cm, not 15cm. So based on that already, I suppose all your serves are illegal. ;)

The ball really has to travel at least 16cm AFTER leaving the palm. Often players lift the hand and kind of carry the ball upwards rather than tossing it, only releasing it at the end so that it climbs up another few centimeters. If that's your case, you need to make the toss more pronounced.

Well usually I throw it even higher up than 16cm anyway. Because the higher up the ball the more effect I feel I can give, but that doesn't happen to be when i'm doing a fast no-spin serve.
I guess I should pay more attention to actually tossing the ball instead of carrying it up. The question remains however, what to do with the position of the hand after the ball leaves, is it forbidden to 'follow' the ball (which I do instinctively, not meant)

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 05:31 

Nebur wrote:
I guess I should pay more attention to actually tossing the ball instead of carrying it up. The question remains however, what to do with the position of the hand after the ball leaves, is it forbidden to 'follow' the ball (which I do instinctively, not meant)

Well, the rule as it stands currently says the free arm should be removed as soon as the ball leaves the hand. It doesn't matter whether you intend to hide or not. But if the "following the ball" is just part of the toss motion (as a natural follow-through) and your arm doesn't linger and hang still in the air, no one should have a problem with it.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 10:15 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
These are the official rules:
Quote:
2.06.01 Service shall start with the ball resting freely on the open palm of the server's stationary free hand.
2.06.02 The server shall then project the ball near vertically upwards, without imparting spin, so that it rises at least 16cm after leaving the palm of the free hand and then falls without touching anything before being struck.
2.06.03 As the ball is falling the server shall strike it so that it touches first his or her court and then, after passing over or around the net assembly, touches directly the receiver's court; in doubles, the ball shall touch successively the right half court of server and receiver.
2.06.04 From the start of service until it is struck, the ball shall be above the level of the playing surface and behind the server's end line, and it shall not be hidden from the receiver by the server or his or her doubles partner or by anything they wear or carry.
2.06.05 As soon as the ball has been projected, the server’s free arm and hand shall be removed from the space between the ball and the net.
The space between the ball and the net is defined by the ball, the net and its indefinite upward extension.
2.06.06 It is the responsibility of the player to serve so that the umpire or the assistant umpire can be satisfied that he or she complies with the requirements of the Laws, and either may decide that a service is incorrect.
2.06.06.01 If either the umpire or the assistant umpire is not sure about the legality of a service he or she may, on the first occasion in a match, interrupt play and warn the server; but any subsequent service by that player or his or her doubles partner which is not clearly legal shall be considered incorrect.
2.06.07 Exceptionally, the umpire may relax the requirements for a correct service where he or she is satisfied that compliance is prevented by physical disability.

So technically it's ok to follow the ball upwards with your hard, as long as it's clearly left your hand, and it's not between the ball and the net. As stated, this must only be clear to the umpire, not your opponent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next