OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:54

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 11:26 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

http://www.ittf.com/competitions/competitions2.asp?Competition_ID=2097&category=WTTC
England aussie USA all doing good NZ 1 win and 1 loss , there have been a few upsets in all the Divisions

http://www.ittf.com/itTV/ watch live or the archived games

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 11:50 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Thx for that. I see China v Sweden at 13.00 CET today. Hopefully it gets streamed.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 12:05 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
rodderz wrote:
2012 World teams are on now, hows your team going

U.S. men suffered an embarrassing defeat to lowly Ecuador.

Meanwhile, U.S. women's coach Doru Gheorghe is simply disrespecting the integrity of this event and has lost two winnable matches by once again benching our best player Gao Jun, just as he did in 2010. The ITTF should suspend this guy.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 13:30 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
mmnb I understand your frustration as the US was once a formidable team with gao jun, wang chen, and crystal wang, however I think he is thinking to the future of US women's table tennis. The more experience our youngsters get the better. If you look at the draw vs romania who is a very formidable young team that has gotten some success the girls of the US did a fine job. One more win and it could have easily turned into something closer than it was.

I am glad they are giving those girls a good international experience. It's much better than what they have done for the mens team if you ask me. I would like them to win a couple draws however Gao Jun is there to coach and mentor. If they want a win they will play her, but as long as the US team can compete in division 1 I don't think it matters so much this year. Especially if you expect any of those girls to be able to help Gao Jun in the olympics in the teams event...

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 13:37 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Looking forward to seeing Swedens 1985 team up against China's 2012 team today, real blast from the past

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 13:40 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
I wish Waldner were there for that... They will lose 3-0 but it's a nostalgic matchup none the less.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 13:57 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

At the recent Olympic trials, Gao Jun destroyed ALL of these players that Gheorghe is using instead of her. We already had to tolerate the "get experience" thing at the 2010 world team championships as Gao sat on the bench watching her teammates go winless. If they need more experience, they should compete in regular ITTF events. My feeling is it's disrespectful to the world championship to not put your best team forward. If you're not there to win, why go?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 13:58 

I can't believe that Gao's non-playing is solely the coach's decision. She has a special status in American table tennis, and if she does not play that surely also reflects her own wish and attitude. Blasting the coach for this is just silly and ignorant. If this were such a blatantly absurd choice, why would Gao go along with it? Maybe she just doesn't want to play, period.

Also, she didn't "destroy" all the others at the trials. In fact, she looked rusty and vulnerable, for the first time ever on American ground. Several players won games against her. She herself said that she had not prepared for the trials (it was a last minute decision), and it's not clear whether/how she prepared for the Worlds.

And finally, playing Ariel and Lily is in any case the right decision (already confirmed by the results). Playing Erica and Judy in winnable matches is another matter.

Last edited by TTTTT on 27 Mar 2012, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 14:00 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

TTTTT wrote:
I can't believe that Gao's non-playing is solely the coach's decision. She has a special status in American table tennis, and if she does not play that surely also reflects her own wish and attitude. Blasting the coach for this is just silly and ignorant. If this were such a blatantly absurd choice, why would Gao go along with it? Maybe she just doesn't want to play, period.

It's silly and ignorant to expect a coach to try their best to win? That is a LOSER'S attitude.

She went 10-0 in the trials. That's after not playing competitively for two years. She's the best by a wide margin.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 14:03 

mynamenotbob wrote:
TTTTT wrote:

It's silly and ignorant to expect a coach to try their best to win? That is a LOSER'S attitude.

Can you at least READ what I wrote? This is why you come across as so biased and blind.

I watched the trials. Gao had never played worse. No wonder, because she's busy with her club. She lost 2 games against Ariel, 2 games against Lily, 2 games against Judy (!), 1 game against Erica. Unbelievable.

If Doru doesn't play her, that's because she's not in shape and/or doesn't want to play. I'm sure this is more her decision than Doru's. She's beyond the status where someone would be able to tell her when to play or not.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 14:11 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

TTTTT wrote:
Can you at least READ what I wrote? This is why you come across as so biased and blind.

Expecting our coach to use our best players to try to win is biased and blind? Sorry, the object of sports is to try to win.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 14:14 

mynamenotbob wrote:
TTTTT wrote:

Expecting our coach to use our best players to try to win is biased and blind? Sorry, the object of sports is to try to win.

You're still not reading - why?

I wrote "blasting the coach" - ie criticizing the coach alone as you do in bombastic terms, rather than wondering why coach and player (Gao) together chose this lineup.

I also wish that Gao would have played, at least at #3.

Here's a parallel:
Werner Schlager didn't play either in Austria's first two matches. Today they even put Fegerl at #2, who's not even in the top 100. Do you think the coach chose the lineup without consulting Schlager and sat him out against his will? (Of course they still won, but that's another story...)

Last edited by TTTTT on 27 Mar 2012, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 14:18 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
'best' is always a matter of opinion... it's possible she's not well or elected not to play for other reasons... let's wait and see if we can find out the real reason before we blame the coach...

I'll Email her and ask her.. you never know, she might answer! ;)

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 14:23 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

The coach runs the ship. He and Gao aren't co-coaches. If he's unable to control his players and make a decision to put our best team forward to try to win than he's not the one for the job. What serious sports organization would tolerate a coach not trying his best to win, especially at two world championships in a row?

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 14:31 

This isn't a single-elimination format. The goal is to get the best possible finish at the end of the tournament, and especially finish in the top 18 in order to stay in the Championship division. Surely Doru and Gao have discussed the strategy for the tournament as a whole, and for some reason (which I don't know either) it doesn't involve Gao playing against Romania and Belarus. In 2010 she played in two decisive ties in the second stage (the single-elimination phase), against England and Italy, which decided who would stay in the championship division and who could go down. So maybe that's again the idea.

If this were all so terribly outrageous and unsportsmanlike, why would your idol Gao go along with it? And do you really think this hasn't been discussed before, when she committed to playing at these Worlds rather than running her club in California?