OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:01

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2012, 19:53 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

If they are consistently hard all over then that does sound very positive. The trouble with the current 40mm balls is that they weigh the same as the 38mm balls and as a result virtually always have soft spots. I still haven't got used to them and I still get annoyed every time I get a bad bounce (which is way too often). Bad bounces were relatively rare with the 38's. It's funny that players who have been bought up on the 40mm balls usually don't bat an eyelid when the bad bounces occur.

I wonder if the harder balls will result in the ball - (i) coming through a bit quicker; and (ii) the energy from a shot not dissipating as fast as it does with the current 40mm?

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2012, 23:04 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
ttEDGE - William wrote:
I've got a couple of packs of the new balls here. WLQ was handing them out at the ITTF Athletes Commission meeting on the last day. They are the latest effort from DHS and look like a step forward. Seem to be consistently hard all over. They seem to be going with a new marketing angle on the packaging and I kid you not:

"New formula to create fluently professional beat feeling". Now I like the sound of that!!

Is that a step forward on the celluloid ball Will, or on other attempts at a poly ball?

Assuming you have hit with them, whats the bounce and spin like?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2012, 02:13 

if ttEDGE - William got a couple of poly balls, will he kindly share the filling and difference between current celluloid balls !!

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2012, 11:56 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
debo2606 wrote:
if ttEDGE - William got a couple of poly balls, will he kindly share the filling and difference between current celluloid balls !!

Yes he told me he would... I'd also like to hear if he experience any issues using it in his robot.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2012, 00:35 

Ok, had a decent hit with them this morning after training as did some of the others there. Interesting insights. I did some filming and will roll together into a video. Easier to explain that way rather than just writing.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2012, 10:50 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
ttEDGE - William wrote:
Ok, had a decent hit with them this morning after training as did some of the others there. Interesting insights. I did some filming and will roll together into a video. Easier to explain that way rather than just writing.

I can't wait! :up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2012, 10:49 

What's wrong with celluloid that ITTF wants it banned?

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2012, 11:18 
Super User
Super User

afton wrote:
it is a highly flammable material, and because ITTF "claims for the safety of people involved with table tennis", the only solution is to ban it

FH: Curl P-1R

Last edited by li2so4 on 06 Apr 2012, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2012, 11:18 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

The celluloid issue was just a way to slide in another increase in ball size unnoticed :|

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2012, 12:18 

li2so4 wrote:
afton wrote:
it is a highly flammable material, and because ITTF "claims for the safety of people involved with table tennis", the only solution is to ban it

Aha! Has there been any fire incident after someone looped a celluloid ball?

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2012, 12:51 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
afton wrote:

Actually I believe the main issue they decided it on (publicly) is in the making of the celluloid itself, which apparently is similar to making asbestos and carries a high risk of developing cancer from breathing in fibrous particles. The flammability issue is secondary. Foam may well be right though, as I'm sure there is public reasons and private reason/s for it.

I have no issue changing the ball away from celluloid if there truly is a danger to worker health in making the stuff. I'd like to see evidence of how many workers have died from handling it throughout the last century or so though. The evidence of asbestosis is well documented and I have experienced personal loss due to it. Celluloid poisoning is not something I have heard of, but that doesn't make it non-existent.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2012, 13:08 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

No doubt it's flammable and toxic just like the replacement plastic :D , following the way the new rules were submitted with the ball size change slipped in there and having both balls legal. Then amended to outlaw celluloid via the size change. It was just all too shady/dodgy to be believable for me :n:.

I would be fair to say I and most of the active players enjoy and are more passionate about table tennis much more than anyone on the board and it really annoys me when these guys stuff around with my chosen sport :clap:

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2012, 19:28 

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
afton wrote:

Actually I believe the main issue they decided it on (publicly) is in the making of the celluloid itself, which apparently is similar to making asbestos and carries a high risk of developing cancer from breathing in fibrous particles.

Interesting. I'm all for safe working conditions, so if there's no safe method devised in making it, a change is necessary.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2012, 04:46 

Here you go guys

Last edited by ttEDGE - William on 07 Apr 2012, 05:00, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2012, 04:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
afton wrote:

I have no issue changing the ball away from celluloid if there truly is a danger to worker health in making the stuff. I'd like to see evidence of how many workers have died from handling it throughout the last century or so though. The evidence of asbestosis is well documented and I have experienced personal loss due to it. Celluloid poisoning is not something I have heard of, but that doesn't make it non-existent.

Basically I share the same sentiment with you, but there are simply too many manufacturing processes that are extremely dangerous... We can't ban them or change them all.

My cousin used to work at an Intel chip-making plant in Taiwan... His job was so dangerously toxic, he had to wear full-body haz mat suit the whole time he worked there. We don't hear calls to ban computers or smart phones because of it... ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next