OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 15:43 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Since there appears to be no objections, I've enable the same logo for the other few honorable 1000+ members. :up: :up: :up: Of course if you don't want it, I can easily remove it. ;)

PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 15:56 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

Let me just say that we're hard nuts to crack! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 18:56 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I think perhaps we'll reserve the new logo for the elite 1000+ members, but we could still choose some better standard title for the other members, at least something related to TT or to our forum specifically.

PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 20:00 

haggisv wrote:
I think perhaps we'll reserve the new logo for the elite 1000+ members, but we could still choose some better standard title for the other members, at least something related to TT or to our forum specifically.

Please explain. This new 'banner title' in no way negates the custom title, which I'm very fond of. Is this what you mean? If not, I'm sure there's scope for other creative banners dependent on certain other achievements.

Not having second thoughts? :sweat:

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)

PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 20:10 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Not all all, I'm referring to these rather boring titles:
New Member 1
Full member 50
Senior member 100
Super User 200

PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 20:13 

Aaaah, I understand. :rock: I can see definite improvement in that area. Let your creative juices flow! :muscle:

PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 20:15 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
haggisv wrote:

Agreed. I think the acorn, seedling, tree...golden oak is the best idea we've had.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 20:21 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes those are great ideas, but I'm not sure if the new members will get the meaning of them...

PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 21:05 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Agreed. I think the acorn, seedling, tree...golden oak is the best idea we've had.

So in one end of the ladder we have the acorn, on the other end the ooak nut. Circle of life, is it? :P

No big deal, but I suggest keeping the other entries as they are. The double meaning of the "nut" entry makes it funny while keeping it immediately understandable to most users. However, it looks like I agree with haggisv about the rest. I'm not sure that using those other wood references to denote a progression is a good idea.

That title is supposed to say something about forum maturity, which is not intuitively (and unambiguously) associated with rarity or "nobility" of wood types, nor with equipment classification/grading or playing styles. The degrees of maturity of a tree is perhaps intuitively associated to other aspects of maturity if you are a native English speaker. However, to many of us who have English as a second (or third or fourth) language, that transition is harder to make. Also, despite us using wooden tools and the forum's name connection to a type of wood, the relevance of using a tree context is a bit farfetched. To my eyes, a major change such as proposed would not contribute to the quality of the forum, but rather detract from it.
(For one thing, I think it may make the forum not appear as serious. While I appreciate that TT is mostly about having fun, I try to be serious about my kinds of fun.)

Sincerely
the spoilsport :)

Last edited by keme on 23 May 2012, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 21:11 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

yep, because everyone WANTS to take themselves more seriously...

:?:

seriously, it's fun. it's a good idea and shows that people here are capable of cracking a joke, having fun, and arent always talking about equipment, maybe.

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 21:59 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
keme wrote:
No big deal, but I suggest keeping the other entries as they are. The double meaning of the "nut" entry makes it funny while keeping it immediately understandable to most users. However, it looks like I agree with haggisv about the rest. I'm not sure that using those other wood references to denote a progression is a good idea.

I'm not sure what you mean agreeing with haggisv about the rest Keme. I think Haggisv has made it clear he does not like the boring title that currently exist, and you like them. Where is the agreement?

I can see your point, btw, but I think anyone joining up and getting into the forum will soon catch on to what the titles mean. If they don't they can always ask, and a friendly response will make them feel more welcome. So I don't really see a down side to it. All I'd like is to have something clever enough that it makes things fun. Once upon a time we had little personalised icons sitting below our title that was gotten rid of due to one particular mod (who has left) disliking it. I loved it. I had a little bat flapping its wings. My point is if that could be re-done, the icon could match up as a picture with the title. So if it was acorn, seedling, tree, etc. we could have little pics of those underneath. If its other titles, we could still have appropriate icons to match.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 22:05 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean agreeing with haggisv about the rest Keme. I think Haggisv has made it clear he does not like the boring title that currently exist, and you like them. Where is the agreement?
that would be
haggisv wrote:
... I'm not sure if the new members will get the meaning of them...

Also, I'm not saying that I particularly like those standard titles, I agree that they are boring. I still maintain my reservations concerning the current suggestions for alternatives, but as I said no big deal (it's not like I would leave the forum if some other set of titles be enabled).

Last edited by keme on 23 May 2012, 22:14, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 22:07 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

keme wrote:
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
that would be
haggisv wrote:
... I'm not sure if the new members will get the meaning of them...

Yep, I knew what you meant! ;)

I do think you make a good point... we need to find a good balance between being seen as a serious and informative forum, but still be able to have some as well. Don't know the answer...yet.