OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 11:17

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Giant Dragon 612
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 22:34 
Super User

albur wrote:
Looking at this forum I just noticed this thread and would like to contribute, as I play with GD612 for the last 6 months. I just copy most of the reflections I published some time ago on TableTennisTalk:
I play both sides attack, mixed with blocking and from time to time with defense, inverttedf on FH and LPs on BH. I've been looking for some 2 years for a a good LP suitable for attacking, I finally ended up with a Guillotine S (excellent rubber, by the way). I bought the GD 612 in December 2011 but it took me more than a month to put the rubber on, as I didn't want to spoil my game during the league matches. But when I finally decided, I'm really happy with it. I can play rallies almost like with the inverted. The block is much more sure than with LPs - and it can be any type of block, though I usually use a flat or punch block, all of them are dead or have some backspin. Banana flip is excellent - if flat it comes like it had some backspin, if looped, it has also a side kick, and as it's slower than after being hit by an inverted, it abruptly changes pace and as a result the opponent often misses the ball at all ! What is astonishing with this rubber, I can chop away from the table with more control than with the LPs (I've been recently watching and imitating Hou Yingchao and trying to develop a similar control of the ball with BH, he uses Spectol for chopping). I'm not relying on deception, but it's a nice bonus, and players who are accustomed to LPs are usually surprised by the aggressive style allowed by this rubber.
A difference from LPs, after all 612 is an SP, or more probably a MP - chopping against a loop doesn't give a high amount of backspin, but control well compensates this, and as I said - for me this type of defense is ususally the last resort. Of course I'm talking about a rubber with 1.5mm sponge, probably it will be better for choppers with an OX, but with my style I would be unable to use it.
To finalise - if you look for a more aggressive rubber allowing you not only to block but also to flip and punch - it's the one. If you play more defense, heavilly chopping, better choose some LP.
Next week I will finally get hold of the turbo version and be able to see whether it's as promising as the regular version.

How well does it flick (pick hit) or smash?

Ian

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2012, 07:38 
Angel of Abbyss

Is there a big difference between the normal and the turbo?
I tried last tuesday a turbo 1.5mm on a tibhar 4S light and I find it quite fast (to fast maybe).

http://www.diabolosyl.net (my own site)
http://www.tennis-de-table.com (biggest forum in France)

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2012, 08:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Diabolosyl wrote:
Is there a big difference between the normal and the turbo?
I tried last tuesday a turbo 1.5mm on a tibhar 4S light and I find it quite fast (to fast maybe).

Seem the same to me, but I didn't think either was radically fast.
tOD

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2012, 04:45 

Talking about flicking - I play with 612 only on BH. The flick is excellent, especially from a short undercut service. You can play a banana flick practically like with inverted, the ball isa of course much slower but has a tendency to return the spin, so it becomes a weak topspin and often side kicks. When I smash from BH, the ball is always flat, often with a weak backspin. This means that 612 in such a rally behaves plactically like an LP. If somebody just want to enter into a rally he will mostly put the ball into the net. The only thing the opponent can do is delay the hit and play a loop. I don't know how 612 flicks from FH, I never tried. The smash from FH is similar but rarely play with 612 on FH, I feel so well with it on BH that I stopped twiddling, I only play sometimes a false FH loop against defenders.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2012, 04:38 
Angel of Abbyss

Hi the first test was disapointing and I was to the point to stop with this 612. Yesterday, I didn't had time to glue something else so I went training with the same racket. It was already beter : i was able to chop the balls, some really close to the net and when it begins to be interesting it is the possibility to come back and attack immediately when the opponent raises the ball. I also tried some blocks and finally manage to keep them low.
I won't say it is my miracle but I will try it at the stage I'll do next week.
But I also will prepare some others rackets with anti and long pips... one week to decide.

http://www.diabolosyl.net (my own site)
http://www.tennis-de-table.com (biggest forum in France)

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2012, 04:59 
Super User

Blade: Donic alligator combi
FH: FS Bloom Power max.
BH: TSP curl P4 1,0mm
Hi guys

Can someone tell me something about the pipgeometry? Length and diameter.

Thx

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2012, 02:22 

brokkie wrote:
Hi guys

Can someone tell me something about the pipgeometry? Length and diameter.

Thx

Cylindrical pips
Diameter 2,2mm
Length 1,7mm

We have a rather important topic (100+ pages) in France about this not-so-common rubber.
http://www.tennis-de-table.com/forums/sujet-46242-1.html
But it's in french...

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2012, 07:34 

I play with this pimples in forhand, he's very deadly but he's not easy to play. High destructive effect !

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 14:02 

what about durability of this sp??

Forehand rubber: DHS TG Skyline 3 NEO

Backhand rubber: TSP Spectol Speed