OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 17 Apr 2024, 07:45

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Dr. Evil changed?
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2012, 15:54 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Got a new sheet of Dr. Evil and the base sheet doesn't seem as thick. Is this just a bad batch, or did Friendship change the specs?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

Post subject: Re: Dr. Evil changed?
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2012, 17:02 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I suspect it's simply a quality control issue.... I've noticed significant changes with some other 729 sheets as well, whereas others seem always consistant.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2012, 03:58 

Well, we know that there are counterfiets of BTY Tenergy rubbers, so why not counterfiets of Friendship products ?

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2012, 04:18 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Francis wrote:
Well, we know that there are counterfiets of BTY Tenergy rubbers, so why not counterfiets of Friendship products ?

I got it from a reliable vendor, so I'm pretty sure it's real. I guess you never know.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2012, 16:07 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Compared the original version of Dr. Evil to the apparent new version and there is a big difference in the thickness of the basesheet. The new version is quite flimsy. An uncut sheet of the robust old version weighs 23 grams, while an uncut sheet of the new version weighs 19 grams. If the pips are the same, that means the base sheet is about 20% less weight or thinner. Not sure what the difference would be in playability, but I'm leery about buying more if this is a permanent change and not just a bad batch.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2012, 19:09 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes that's too big a difference. The thick base-sheet made it real easy to handle and glue too.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2012, 16:23 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

Francis wrote:

Why? Easy: money.

The makers of fake rubbers have the cost of rubber production and distribution, while the genuine makers have the additional cost of marketing. The production cost for a fake is probably similar - and distribution cost is exactly the same - regardless of which rubber you are faking. It is quite possible that the actual production cost of some genuine rubbers are lower than for the fakes (because of larger batches etc. giving more efficient production).

A quick check indicates that the most expensive regular Friendship rubber is cheaper than the cheapest Butterfly rubber. If the customer is looking for a bargain, he is most likely looking for a Butterfly bargain (or perhaps Joola, Xiom, Donic, etc. Most Friendship rubbers are a bargain from the outset :) ).

So if you make fakes of expensive rubbers (instead of the "budget friendly" varieties), you make more money from each sheet (because they command a higher price), and you sell more sheets (because a bargain is more interesting when the common price is high).

Of course there is the risk of being caught. I guess the "high profile" makers (Butterfly et.al.) will be more aggressive in pursuing a case than those with a more modest approach to marketing. That may be the only reason for the fakers to steer clear of Butterfly...

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2012, 08:05 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

People are still complaining about the black Dr. Evil being thin and bouncy compared to the old, thick slow version. The red color is still good. The rubbers are very different now.

Has anybody recently bought any Dr. Evil that is the thick and slow original version?

Haggisv, looks like you reordered Dr. Evil.

Is your latest stock in black the thick, original kind, or the thin, lousy overly bouncy version?

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2012, 20:48 

mynamenotbob wrote:
Got a new sheet of Dr. Evil and the base sheet doesn't seem as thick. Is this just a bad batch, or did Friendship change the specs?

Maybe you should have bought it from Valor Table Tennis... I think I still have the original formulation.

CHEERS!

FH: Valor Premier - Sponge
BH: Globe 979 LP OX
http://www.valortabletennis.com

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2012, 22:27 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

mynamenotbob wrote:

Is your latest stock in black the thick, original kind, or the thin, lousy overly bouncy version?

I can't tell as I can't quite remember how thick the original was. Without taking it out of the packet I would guess the basesheet is about 0.5mm thick. These came in Sept '12.

EDIT: I just took one out of the packet, and the basesheet does feel quite thick, much thicker than a LP. The uncut weight is about 25g.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2012, 00:46 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

haggisv wrote:
mynamenotbob wrote:

I can't tell as I can't quite remember how thick the original was. Without taking it out of the packet I would guess the basesheet is about 0.5mm thick. These came in Sept '12.

EDIT: I just took one out of the packet, and the basesheet does feel quite thick, much thicker than a LP. The uncut weight is about 25g.

If your black sheet is exactly like the red sheet, you'll sell a ton of them in the USA. Cole and zeropong have been selling this absolute garbage really thin black sheet for months. All Dr. Evil users are worried they'll never be able to get a good black sheet again. You need to get the word out that good black Dr. Evil still exists.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 06:32 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

There were some big quality control problems with Dr. Evil about a year ago. I need to get some more, but have the issues been resolved with the black sheet which was too thin and bouncy? I only want the thick, slow version.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2015, 21:57 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
There's a code on boxes of table tennis balls that tells you when they've been made. Is there an equivalent code for table tennis rubbers? If not, how ill you know if a sheet of rubber is newly produced or one that's been lying about in a sellers stockroom for years?

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2015, 04:36 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Just following up on this. I took a chance and bought a few sheets from Presports.com for $6.70 each. Got 'em two days later by FedEx no less, and yes they're the thick, good kind. Very happy.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2015, 08:49 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
Just following up on this. I took a chance and bought a few sheets from Presports.com for $6.70 each. Got 'em two days later by FedEx no less, and yes they're the thick, good kind. Very happy.

The stuff I bought from ZeroPong at the Nationals is back to normal as well.