OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:24

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2012, 09:13 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
There are some forum members that can bring us in contact with Joo. Recently, we handed over our best wishes for his recovery from disease and he gratefully sent us a response. He also told us he will be competing again soon. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20449

Suppose Joo agrees we have a short interview (written or even oral?) with him, what would we ask? We can already collect some interesting interview items now and then see what is possible with the material and the contacts we have.

So, please post things you always wanted to know from Joo but thought you could never ask ;)

Last edited by Pipsy on 20 Feb 2013, 23:49, edited 2 times in total.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2012, 09:19 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Have other players and coaches ever told you not to use LP's because you'll never get to be a top player using them or were you encouraged to continue using them?

Would you yourself, based on your experiences and the changes in the equipment rules advise a youngster now starting the game and who wants to be a defender with LP's to stop thinking that way and turn instead to double inverted and attacking play? Would your answer be different depending on what standard of play they were aiming to achieve?

Thank you.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2012, 17:32 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Thanks Debater.

Some questions I think of right now:

* Of what match or matches do you have fond/special memories and why?

* What impact did ITTF decisions (like 38mm ball) have on top level and what influence do you think the new balls will have (in particular for defenders)?

* How are defenders perceived by inverted players at top level? Do you have closer relationships with the other defenders?

* How is your son progressing in table tennis ;-)?

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2012, 21:59 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Ok, my questions:

* Why did you change to the DTecs a couple of years ago and why did you change back to the P1-R recently?
* We also heard that the last couple of years you changed between those pips on a regular basis? If this is true? If it is, then why did you do that?
* Do you believe a (modern) defender can become number one of the world? If not, how should modern defense evolve to produce a number one in the world?
* I read that a lot of players in South-Korea thought, before you made some awesome results with your style (e.g. the final of the WTTC 2003), that you played like a girl? Is this true? And how did this affect your progress and mental condition?
* When do you plan on retiring?
* Are you planning on coaching your modern style of defense? Or do something for the defenders in TT (e.g. Masushita became president of Victas and created the P4)?
* How would you describe yourself as a person near the table and next to the table? How are these personalities different? And what's the reason they need to be different?
* Do you know there are a lot of players admiring and even imitating your style? And if so, maybe planning on creating some training video's?

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2012, 22:19 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Maybe you can ask one of the mods to stick the topic. In that way you might get more questions together.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2012, 23:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
What is your decision process in balls to your FH when you are off the table-How do you decide between chopping and counter looping?

Why do you mostly serve FH while women choppers all tend to serve BH and twiddle?

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2012, 09:23 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
When an opponent pushes one of your heavy chops to your backhand, you usually come in and push the return with your long pips. Many players find this a difficult shot to play consistently because it's difficult to put a lot of spin on the ball with long pips. Can you explain your technique for pushing underspin with long pips?

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2012, 11:16 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku Flyatt Carbon Pro
FH: Tibhar Aurus TC-1
BH: 729 802 2.1mm
1)how is the chance of future koreans against the chinese
2)why is korean pro player using jpen decline over the years
3)who is your most fearsome opponents.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2012, 11:40 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

Please wait up for me, I am preparing my questions :)

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2012, 12:44 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Although I'd like nothing better than to get an interview from Joo, he has not actually agreed to one.

It was fantastic he responded to our best wishes, but I'm a little reluctant to contact him again this early, as I don't want him to feel like we're asking for something 'in return' for our best wishes.

So while I certainly support this thread, I'm not so sure he'll actually agree to an interview. :( :( :(

But if you think he'll agree to it, then go for it. ;)

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2012, 03:30 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

haggisv wrote:
Although I'd like nothing better than to get an interview from Joo, he has not actually agreed to one.

It was fantastic he responded to our best wishes, but I'm a little reluctant to contact him again this early, as I don't want him to feel like we're asking for something 'in return' for our best wishes.

So while I certainly support this thread, I'm not so sure he'll actually agree to an interview. :( :( :(

I don't want Joo to think that there is something behind our well wishes that is this interview.. Probably we need to tell that in the interview we will send?

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2012, 04:19 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
I think we should keep it to just a few questions and maybe follow up later. If we were to ambush him with with 30 questions, he probably won't answer any.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2012, 05:52 
Joo Too
Joo Too

I don't know if he will search something behind the best wishes if we send him a request for an interview. I'd say: go for it and don't look back. This is a one-in-a-lifetime opportunity and he might be willing to do this after our best wishes. Just make sure he first accepts to have an interview and then ask him the questions: not the both together. Also make clear you interviewed other pro players.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2012, 00:08 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

Here is my questions if Joo agreed to be interviewed:

1. In your opinion, what do you think about the future of defensive style in the world stage?
2. Regarding the new PVC ball, how do you think it will affect the future defensive style?
3. Have you any regret for being a defender?
4. Is being a modern defense always adapt a mindset of defending to open opportunities or attack rather than wearing out one's opponent?

Re-wording of my questions is not a problem.
It is also totally understandable if my question(s) didn't make it in the interview.

Thanks a lot for the chance! I do hope Joo agrees to be interviewed.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2012, 18:33 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

haggisv wrote:

I perfectly understand your concern, Haggisv, but as Yosua mentioned, we can situate it in our mail. I agree with Lorre that we should go for it and have a try. I also agree with mynamenotbob that we shouldn't make the interview too long and maybe follow-up on it later. We already have some GREAT interview questions and maybe some more questions will follow. We can make a compilation later!