OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 21:37

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2012, 13:37 

The TSP Super Spinpips Chop 2 that I ordered from iriru just arrived! Expect a review soon! :) Initial impressions: super soft sponge--reminds me of the sponge on Feint III. I imagine the soft sponge will provide a lot of control, but will devitalize attacking shots somewhat.

Attachment:
602654_10100342477390171_1004408583_n.jpg
602654_10100342477390171_1004408583_n.jpg [ 52.23 KiB | Viewed 17724 times ]
Attachment:
247365_10100342477280391_1963203169_n.jpg
247365_10100342477280391_1963203169_n.jpg [ 61.9 KiB | Viewed 17724 times ]

Last edited by 5jd33 on 23 Oct 2012, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2012, 18:49 

I am looking forward for your review with great interest, thanks!

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2012, 19:32 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Me too, sounds good! :up: Nice picture... the sponge looks quite porous, or perhaps it's just coz it's soft.
This rubber is not even in the 2012 catalogue.. didn't realise it had been released. The original version had a hard 55deg sponge.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2012, 13:30 

I'm a SP chopper who has experimented with a long list of short pips, but I've been playing with the Nittaku Senrei/ Sharping (1.5) for the last 2 years. I find the Senrei to be an amazing pip for a defensive game based on spin variation--good control, excellent spin manipulation, nice "skid effect" when killing chance balls, etcetera. And, in theory, there is no reason for me to go looking for a better SP.

I have played with the first version of the TSP Superspin pip chop sponge, which I generally liked apart from the weight, so I was curious to see if the Spinpip topsheet would work well on a lighter and much softer (25 deg) sponge. Also, I suspect this is the pip that my hero, Yuto Muramatsu, plays with.

Do note that my review would be quite impressionistic, as I have only played with the rubber for only a few hours. The blade I used to test it was my favorite Nittaku Haneyoshi, and I had Moristo DF (1.5) as my FH rubber.

General feeling after 2 hours of play: Not very good :(

I just did not like the feel of it at all. It is too soft and "mushy" for my liking. This is probably because I've been playing with "harder" pips (802 on 35 deg sponge, Sharping with its dense medium hard sponge), so the drastic change in feel was not something I easily warmed up to. It felt like I needed extra effort to get the ball over the net. The "feel" I would compare to chopping with antispin rubber: dead-ish and spongy.

Speed
This would certainly be the slowest SP I've tried to date. The dampening effect of the mushy sponge just takes the speed off the ball whether defending or attacking.

Spin
What it lacks in speed though, it makes up in spin. As one would expect, the soft sponge does add to the spin producing capabilities of the already relatively spinny topsheet. With deliberate strokes, one could produce heavy backspin in pushes and defensive chops. Although, the sponge does produce mechanical spin, so it's not as easy to produce good knuckle balls compared to Senrei or to the spinpips chop version 1.0.

Control
Excellent control if you like the soft feel. It will give you the confidence to outlast anyone in a pushing marathon. Although, it does react to spin, so some adjustment is necessary as the sponge comes easily into play and won't allow the topsheet to simply scrub off spin.

Overall, a good pip for a certain type of defensive game. I would say it's a step closer to an inverted-inverted chopping game. From what I know Yuto Muramatsu used to play with inverted on both sides, so I can see how this pip would work for him. I also now understand why he tends to twiddle when attacking from the BH side even if he has SP. And yeah, I am sort of suggesting that this might be the mysterious version of the TSP spinpips that Muramatsu uses.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2012, 14:24 

:clap: Great to hear about this. I've been curious about it ever since I saw it in a few Japanese shops online. It sounds like it is to defensive short pips as Feing Long III is to defensive long pips--ultra soft, very slow, capable of producing a ton of its own spin. I think the use for it is fairly specific (and is exactly the way Yuto Muramatsu uses it): to produce an extremely heavy first chop that almost inevitably results in a poor return from the opponent, providing an opening for an attack. Very soft sponged pips (both short and long), I've found, don't perform well in long loop-chop rallys, as the amount of backspin they can produce tops out rapidly. Harder sponged short pips, despite not having any real reversal to them, can still keep adding backspin to the ball simply because they typically have low dwell times (they top out sooner than most long pips, but later than soft sponged short pips). Also, going with a thinner sponge on softer pips can raise that ceiling a little (at the cost of a bit of backspin on the first chop), which is nice if you're not always able to force a bad return on your first chop, and find yourself in a situation where it might take a second or third to make an opening. It also makes them a bit better for attacking, as there's less sponge to absorb the speed of the ball, and you can force the ball to bottom out and rebound off the blade to get more speed on the shot.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2012, 15:03 

Very insightful comments QuickDraw :)

You're right. What it sacrifices in some aspects it makes up in others, so, as you mentioned, its use is quite specific. It might be well-suited for the defender who pressures opponents into giving weak returns and who transitions earlier into offense rather than for the stonewall defender who patiently waits for more glaring errors before pouncing.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2012, 21:01 

It looks very soft like butter!

we expect your review immediately :rofl: :rofl: :party: :Chop: ;)

Blade: Butterfly Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: Andro Rasant 1,9 mm
BH: Globe 979 0,9 mm

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2012, 21:14 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
The sponge looks exactly the same as beneath TSP Curl P-4 Chop. White and porous, very soft and slow. If you stick with it a few more sessions you might start to like it ;)

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2012, 22:00 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
THanks for the review 5jd33! Even if it does not suit your style, your comments may be very beneficial to others! :up:

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2012, 00:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
Those look to be "long" for short pips. I would think the sponge would need to be thin and/or very slow to chop with that setup

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2012, 01:18 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
they are actually very very short pips....

very similar top sheet to 802-40...

its the same top sheet as all the other super spin pips....one of the shortest conical pips out there

i have been playing with the original super spin pips for the last 2 months, after chopping with spectol for a month before that....

for those that have tried both they will know what i am talking about but the difference between spectol and ssp for chopping is that ssp gives you less of an "abrupt" feel....its hard to describe....

i prefer ssp for chopping thats all i know, but spectol is superior for close to the table work....i am going to test the chop version of ssp next time i need to buy a pair of shoes from japan...

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2012, 01:36 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
What is the sponge thickness on that first picture?

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2012, 04:04 

Def-attack wrote:
What is the sponge thickness on that first picture?

It says 1.4-1.7 on the package in the second pic, so I'm guessing that's what it is. Looks about right.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2012, 06:26 

Thanks haggisv. I enjoyed writing the review. I know there's much interest in the kind of spinpips Muramatsu uses, and I think this version might be it.

Def-attack: It's 1.4-1.7 thickness.

I played with it again, and still not liking it. It has the extraordinary ability to tame power loops and even smashes and can produce a lot of spin, but it's tougher to attack with and to vary spin with. I guess what I like about it is its honesty :angel: It doesn't claim to be a do-it-all-great-at-everything rubber.

I once tried playing with the 802-40 on a soft Palio GP sponge and I would say it equals the chopping and spin producing abilities of this rubber without taking much away from its offensive possibilities.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2012, 23:09 

I just ordered a sheet in black, 1.0~1.3. It should arrive within the next week. I'll be sure to post a review once I've had time to play with it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next