OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:27

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2012, 10:36 

vanjr wrote:
Here is a short video. Again these are brand new and not played with and not treated at all. Fresh out of the package.

http://youtu.be/FW8zXazp--w

This is indeed very strange.... :lol:

Forehand: MXP
Backhand: Grass Dtecs, Tsp P3 Alpha
--------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2012, 15:04 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
How long before the tack is gone? If you wash it?
Is this rubber any similar to Dawei 388D (also focused on chop and control)?

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2012, 20:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
Def-attack wrote:

I will have to play with it a few weeks to see how it plays. I played with 388d-1 a number of years ago and never felt it was tacky-just grippy.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2012, 15:07 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
vanjr wrote:
Def-attack wrote:

I will have to play with it a few weeks to see how it plays. I played with 388d-1 a number of years ago and never felt it was tacky-just grippy.

388D-1 is more for blocking, 388D is for safe distance chopping. I never tried a tacky version of any of them.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2012, 18:27 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
I just got back from my first day at the TT club playing with KTL Stranger Attack 1.2mm red. Mine was purchased from Eacheng.net. The pips were not at all tacky as described in this thread; rather, they were stiff and grippy. The sponge is dense and fast. I'll be posting a full review on this LP soon, but for me it's the new king of the hill for attack-oriented LPs.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2012, 22:08 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BTW I am willing to mail my sheet of the tacky KTL stranger to whoever would like to try it. Free (as long as shipping is not to much). It is OX, black and cut to the LQ-1 size. Originally purchased from zeropong. PM me for questions.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2012, 11:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

nathanso wrote:
I just got back from my first day at the TT club playing with KTL Stranger Attack 1.2mm red. Mine was purchased from Eacheng.net. The pips were not at all tacky as described in this thread; rather, they were stiff and grippy. The sponge is dense and fast. I'll be posting a full review on this LP soon, but for me it's the new king of the hill for attack-oriented LPs.

Any further information on attacking with the Stranger Attack?
tOD

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2012, 06:41 

Discussion might got a bit blurry because there is a KTL Stranger (available in ox, 0,5 and 0,8 mm).
http://www.eacheng.net/index.php?act=detail&ID=3370

And a KTL Stranger attack, only available in 1.2mm
http://www.eacheng.net/index.php?act=detail&ID=3443

Weird thing is that the Stranger attack is not mentioned on the ITTF list (although there is an ITTF sign on the package)
http://www.ittf.com/stories/pictures/LARC_33B.pdf

I'm especially curious about your experience with the Stranger Attack.
Nathanso ?

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2012, 06:56 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
BarryB wrote:
Weird thing is that the Stranger attack is not mentioned on the ITTF list (although there is an ITTF sign on the package)

It's probably just a different sponge, for which they don't need seperate ITTF approval.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2012, 07:27 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BarryB wrote:
Discussion might got a bit blurry because there is a KTL Stranger (available in ox, 0,5 and 0,8 mm).
http://www.eacheng.net/index.php?act=detail&ID=3370

And a KTL Stranger attack, only available in 1.2mm
http://www.eacheng.net/index.php?act=detail&ID=3443

I'm especially curious about your experience with the Stranger Attack.
Nathanso ?

I have a sheet of red, attack I will be trying this evening.

Since the Teams, I have been experimenting with the OX over a sheet of special slow sponge, 1.8. I had a batch of the sponge made about three years ago, but it never worked well for me. I did like the Stranger over my slow sponge much better than OX.
tOD

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2012, 08:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

KTL Stranger Attack 1.2mm is currently my preferred LP, edging out 755 1.0mm and Air UPUPUPUP US 1.0mm.

The sponge is dense, hard, and fast yet, iirc, the LP is still less than 30g cut. It's fantastic at the LP topspin drive stroke.. probably the most consistent LP I've ever used in that regard. Longtime MP attacker CW Smith from BBC tried KTL Stranger Attack 1.2mm and said it was closer to his 563 1.5mm than any previous LP that I've put in his hands to test, and there have been plenty! When hit hard KTL Stranger Attack 1.2mm makes a cracking sound like a soft inverted. Its pips do not fold over under load and I've yet to get the feeling that I'm overpowering it or reaching its limits. Speed is faster than 755 1.0, which in my experience is the fastest LP now that Xiom Guillotine has been removed from the LARC.

KTL Stranger Attack 1.2mm's pips are stiff and very rough-tipped, allowing good spin to be generated. It chops very well, with loopers sometimes dumping the first chop into the net. KTL Stranger Attack 1.2mm is effective on serve because it allows me to easily vary spin as well as deliver an unexpected about of spin (for an LP). My current favorite LP serve is a quickly executed BH pendulum that looks like backspin but is actually topspin. Opponents routinely push this serve which pops it right up allowing me to step in and bury it with a BH LP flick or sweeping BH LP drive. Chop blocks with KTL Stranger Attack 1.2 are a breeze and it seems naturally prone to dropping balls short, right behind the net.. the first LP I've ever used that does that. And despite this LP's good grip it's quite effective at serve return, easily besting Air UPUPUPUP US with regards to insensitivity to spin. KTL Stranger Attack 1.2 does require and active stroke when returning dead balls (as do many LPs) but even a minimal sideswipe takes care of that.

Opponents have trouble with KTL Stranger Attack 1.2 both due to its speed on faster balls, and due to unexpected slowing on floaty balls.. the tendency for them to stroke too early (i.e. not wait for the ball to properly arrive) is pronounced.

KTL Stranger Attack 1.2mm's pip geometry is horizontal (as opposed to the vertically-oriented LPs I tested a couple pf months ago, namely Saviga 27 and Mo Wang II). I seem to play better with horizontally-oriented pips, and this brings up the one issue I have with KTL Stranger Attack 1.2mm.. it behaves differently depending on the orientation of my paddle. Used with the paddle handle in the E-W plane, i.e. a normal chop or BH drive, it works very well indeed. But used with the handle in a N-S plane, say for executing a dig or a chicken wing, its behavior is often unexpected with the ball sailing of the table due to reversal failure. 755 was not so sensitive in this regard, being less sensitive to pip alignment at ball contact.

No sign of broken or partially-broken pips, this after 3 hard days of playing at the club and several hours testing its limits on my robot at home. I see zeropong.com now has it available for $22. If it continues to be durable and if I can find a work-around to the pip geometry issue I'll be stocking up.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2012, 13:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

nathanso wrote:
KTL Stranger Attack 1.2mm is currently my preferred LP, edging out 755 1.0mm and Air UPUPUPUP US 1.0mm.

The sponge is dense, hard, and fast yet, iirc, the LP is still less than 30g cut. It's fantastic at the LP topspin drive stroke.. probably the most consistent LP I've ever used in that regard. Longtime MP attacker CW Smith from BBC tried KTL Stranger Attack 1.2mm and said it was closer to his 563 1.5mm than any previous LP that I've put in his hands to test, and there have been plenty! When hit hard KTL Stranger Attack 1.2mm makes a cracking sound like a soft inverted. Its pips do not fold over under load and I've yet to get the feeling that I'm overpowering it or reaching its limits. Speed is faster than 755 1.0, which in my experience is the fastest LP now that Xiom Guillotine has been removed from the LARC.

KTL Stranger Attack 1.2mm's pips are stiff and very rough-tipped, allowing good spin to be generated. It chops very well, with loopers sometimes dumping the first chop into the net. KTL Stranger Attack 1.2mm is effective on serve because it allows me to easily vary spin as well as deliver an unexpected about of spin (for an LP). My current favorite LP serve is a quickly executed BH pendulum that looks like backspin but is actually topspin. Opponents routinely push this serve which pops it right up allowing me to step in and bury it with a BH LP flick or sweeping BH LP drive. Chop blocks with KTL Stranger Attack 1.2 are a breeze and it seems naturally prone to dropping balls short, right behind the net.. the first LP I've ever used that does that. And despite this LP's good grip it's quite effective at serve return, easily besting Air UPUPUPUP US with regards to insensitivity to spin. KTL Stranger Attack 1.2 does require and active stroke when returning dead balls (as do many LPs) but even a minimal sideswipe takes care of that.

Opponents have trouble with KTL Stranger Attack 1.2 both due to its speed on faster balls, and due to unexpected slowing on floaty balls.. the tendency for them to stroke too early (i.e. not wait for the ball to properly arrive) is pronounced.

KTL Stranger Attack 1.2mm's pip geometry is horizontal (as opposed to the vertically-oriented LPs I tested a couple pf months ago, namely Saviga 27 and Mo Wang II). I seem to play better with horizontally-oriented pips, and this brings up the one issue I have with KTL Stranger Attack 1.2mm.. it behaves differently depending on the orientation of my paddle. Used with the paddle handle in the E-W plane, i.e. a normal chop or BH drive, it works very well indeed. But used with the handle in a N-S plane, say for executing a dig or a chicken wing, its behavior is often unexpected with the ball sailing of the table due to reversal failure. 755 was not so sensitive in this regard, being less sensitive to pip alignment at ball contact.

No sign of broken or partially-broken pips, this after 3 hard days of playing at the club and several hours testing its limits on my robot at home. I see zeropong.com now has it available for $22. If it continues to be durable and if I can find a work-around to the pip geometry issue I'll be stocking up.

I generally agree with your assessment, but I have had only a few hours with it, and that was primarily against a strong looper and a pick-hitting chisler.

I didn't find a stroke that I really liked against the loopers power loops, but the normal rainbow of responses seemed to work reasonably well, even if my consistancy was not as good as would like, but I don't attribute the fault to the rubber, but rather to my techniqueI was not particularly successful with a passive block. I moved a little further off the table and could hit against the loops rather like using inverted.

I had trouble floating some chops long.

I think it is great and produces the best "topspin" long pips serves I have ever had. Both players missed the bulk of these serves.

Tomorrow I will have time against my regular practice partner, will pass on any info gleaned
I am likely missing something important, but I am totally enamoured of this rubber. I thought the sponge would be way too fast, but in the main it was super controlable and I was using a seven ply off+ blade with ebony outers. Twiddling allowed similar strokes on both side.

tOD

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2012, 11:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Another club RR, another report on KTL Stranger 1.2.

I defeated a regular opponent 3-0 today, this guy is a ~1800 J-pen player with a huge FH loop and lots of spin variation. We usually go 3-2, usually in his favor, so winning 3-0 with Stranger 1.2 was a great indication. In addition, I dropped a couple of hard-fought matches to two higher ranked players.. no regrets there. But the one that's noteworthy is the 3-2 loss I had to a very aggressive loop-driver who delivers very spinny, very fast FH and BH topspin. My chop-bocks with Stranger 1.2, as well as my chops, were all popping up and sailing long. Way long. I think I landed one all match. :@

Now I realize that all LPs are a trade-off, delivering strong performance in one area at the expense of weaker performance in another. Knowing what I now know about Stranger 1.2, I think I'll be reaching for my 755 1.2 paddle the next time I have to play Mr. Loopdriver..

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2012, 18:23 
Super User

Blade: TT Piet Homemade 6 ply
FH: Spinlord Waran Short Pips
BH: Joola Badman Reloaded 0X
Still playing with it Nathanso?

Did you ever try the 0X version?

Blade: TTPiet OFF-/ALL custom
FH: Spinlord Waran Short Pips
BH: Joola Badman Reloaded 0X

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2012, 23:49 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

nathanso wrote:
Another club RR, another report on KTL Stranger 1.2.

I defeated a regular opponent 3-0 today, this guy is a ~1800 J-pen player with a huge FH loop and lots of spin variation. We usually go 3-2, usually in his favor, so winning 3-0 with Stranger 1.2 was a great indication. In addition, I dropped a couple of hard-fought matches to two higher ranked players.. no regrets there. But the one that's noteworthy is the 3-2 loss I had to a very aggressive loop-driver who delivers very spinny, very fast FH and BH topspin. My chop-bocks with Stranger 1.2, as well as my chops, were all popping up and sailing long. Way long. I think I landed one all match. :@

Now I realize that all LPs are a trade-off
, delivering strong performance in one area at the expense of weaker performance in another. Knowing what I now know about Stranger 1.2, I think I'll be reaching for my 755 1.2 paddle the next time I have to play Mr. Loopdriver..

This is a quote to live by...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next