OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 18:01

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2013, 10:23 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
You make them look so nice Ross :oops:

A questions about handles... you seem to give them a smooth and varnished finished, which of course makes them look the nicest and it probably keeps them nice too.Has anyone mentioned they find that sort of finish too slippery, especially when they get sweaty hands? If so what are the options?

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2013, 10:37 
The Wood Magician

haggisv wrote:

A questions about handles... you seem to give them a smooth and varnished finished, which of course makes them look the nicest and it probably keeps them nice too.Has anyone mentioned they find that sort of finish too slippery, especially when they get sweaty hands? If so what are the options?

Thanks Alex. Actually, I've had people make the opposite claim on handles I've been asked to finish with a gloss. The handles feel a bit more grippy with sweaty hands rather than slippery. When someone is a little trepidacious about the glossy handle, I'll include a square of 600 grit sandpaper with the blade. If the find it slippery, they can use the fine sandpaper to buff the handle to a matte finish.

While the poly finish is pretty tough, it does get worn down over time. So, if allowed to wear down, over time the handle develops a similar feel to a handle that has never been finished.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2013, 10:52 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks Ross!

That makes me wonder why most manufacturers don't seem to give a fine varnished finish to their blade. It might not be in their interest to make them last longer, but you'd think that just the better look would give them another selling point? Or perhaps is the the extra cost that puts them off?

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2013, 13:10 
The Wood Magician

I can only guess. It does extend the time to complete each blade. For me, sealing the blade takes 2-3 days at the end of the build. For sealing to add a visual appeal to the handle, a handle should be made of natural wood. Fineline wood isn't really going to look much better with a coat of sealer. Also, fine sanding is important for a good finish. I'd guess that blade mfgrs are trying to mill and assemble as quickly as possible, and sanding would just extend the build time. And frankly, I don't think that a company that is mass producing blades cares as much about each individual blade as a custom blade maker building one blade at a time.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2013, 22:37 

Manfred - how is the build quality and finishing of those SoulSpin blades?

Magic_M wrote:
One of my newest blades: Soulspin Medium Speed with a special ergonomic handle.

BH = "symmetrical, hollow shaped form, completely free of interfering edges, due to the hollow shape fingers are placed perfectly in the central cavity".
FH = "assymmetrical handle design, at the lower end the handle is slanted to the left, free of sharp and interefering edges, the curvature is adapted perfectly to the heel of hand."

Blade-composition: koto/spruce/kiri/spruce/koto
Here is the link to the new manufacturer: http://www.soulspin.tt/en/home.html
I have two of them. If anyone is interested in buying one of them: pleas contact me.

Attachment:
SMS_1.jpg
Attachment:
SMS_5.jpg
Attachment:
SMS_4.jpg

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2013, 00:44 

Right… All the pictures posted here are quite unusual in design indeed.
Yet, I believe that some of these GB-Baldes (ENG) are outright wild in design.
I just don’t want to post seven pictures here because all their seven blades are quite unusual especially the “Science” and “Tomorrow” models.
I have read through their presentation too (a 13-page-long PDF, available in English). It talks sense into the designs but I am not quite sure… These Hungarians always think of something.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2013, 19:13 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Very interesting, I've never seen those!

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2014, 11:11 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Finely varnished handles (and maybe blades) were common in the old days (I mean in the 1970s or so) - check out this old Stiga catalog!

http://oldstiga.com/c/stiga71.pdf

(What amuses me is the photos of the eponymous players on the handles of the blades.. when will we ever see that again?)

Iskandar

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2014, 02:45 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

mynamenotbob wrote:
Nittaku Sound

About $30 at Iruiru

Ah.. you know what this is for, right? (I just found out myself..)

http://www.nittaku.com/products/detail/ ... php?id=261

The blade's apparently used without rubber (hence, "sound").

Iskandar

PostPosted: 21 May 2014, 01:46 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

mynamenotbob wrote:

There was talk about blades like this on Usenet many years ago - apparently someone came across a Chinese junior practicing with one (except the description said there was a peg crossways through the handle). The big idea is that you can use a combination racket (long pips/inverted for instance) and can use either side on either forehand or backhand! Works best at mid distance.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2014, 21:15 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Special- ... 9.html?s=p

Iskandar

PostPosted: 15 May 2015, 00:10 

Here's something I've finished tonight and like to share with you. Nothing very special in terms of shape, but it's a single Paulownia (Kiri) of 9mm thickness 79 gr weight.
Since I haven't found anything like this on the www, I think it should be posted here.

Also, can anybody imagine how it would play?

Regards

Blind as a Bat

Attachments:
IMG_20150514_005421.jpg
IMG_20150514_005421.jpg [ 675.57 KiB | Viewed 7731 times ]
IMG_20150514_005510.jpg
IMG_20150514_005510.jpg [ 802.46 KiB | Viewed 7731 times ]

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2015, 12:20 

Had a stupid idea for a pendulum serving blade using a sideways handle like a hay hook.
I know most posts are about real blades, but I might actually attach a piece of broomstick handle to a crappy paddle to try it out sometime.
I think the gameplan would probably fall apart after the extremely spinny serve, but it might be fun to mess around with.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2015, 12:52 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

There's all sorts of possible variations of the angle between the blade and the handle! Interesting.

I'm thinking the short game will suffer but if designed properly, you could probably use it like the Chinese peg-handle blade - aside from the normal forehand and backhand you'd have a reverse backhand AND a reverse forehand.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2015, 22:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

haggisv wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next