OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:29

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 08:06 

I have been playing table tennis for a while but just recently i have wanted to buy quality equipment that will allow me to really improve in the game. What is the best all around rubber that will allow somebody to develop their style but one that doesn't require a pro to use. I have been told the the butterfly sriver is my best bet, any thoughts? Thx for the advice! :-D :topspin:

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 09:55 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

It doesn't really matter what you use, all that really matters when you're developing is that you're comfortable with the equipment you use, which means you have to stick with it.

I will redirect you to this thread here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2349

Just pick some recommended equipment, stick with it and train hard. Good luck!

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 10:26 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

You can't go wrong with a stiga allround classic and a soft 1.8mm rubber. There's a good chance you would never need a faster blade as faster rubber a few years down the track can really get some mojo out of the stiga.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 11:40 
Super User

I don't think you can go wrong with FriendShip 729 with an allround blade and develop your style from there.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 15:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
I think it makes a HUGE difference what rubbers and blade you choose. I have assembled bats for 20 guys in the last 2 years, and have seen smiles on their faces because of the right choices. Be careful to choose a rubber that is not too fast, it takes hundreds of hours to get the right touch for fast rubbers. In my opinion, Sriver is too un-spinney to be a good choice. And sticking to a medium thickness rubber will moderate both the speed and the weight. I have seen advancing players feel very disappointed when they order 2 sheets of rubber with 2.2mm (heavy) sponge, and find out that it feels way too heavy.

Many Friendship rubbers in a 1.5 or 1.8 are ok. Gambler Reflectoid in a 1.5 is excellent and although some say it is slow...it is 50% faster and 900% spinnier than the pre-made bats that many use. And as the guys here hint at, you need to understand blade speed ratings, you should stay away from OFF (offensive - FAST) blades for the sake of control.

Where do you live? That would give us a hint about what suppliers and rubbers and blades are your choices.

TT is awesome! Glad you are advancing!

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 17:55 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

edit: originally a reply to the same question in another thread, unaware of the replies above.

Sriver seems to be what everyone defaults to when asked about a basic rubber choice when you are past beginner level. It is not a bad choice, but depending on your current level and the equipment you have played with, it may take a while to get used to. If you have a coach (or an experienced player) advising you, I'd take that advice. Otherwise, tell us more about your situation now (playing level and equipment).

It may be hard to describe your level of playing in words (a video may help...), but if you tell us what racket you are using, and perhaps also what you think it is about that racket that holds you back, we would have a better basis to advise from.

Also note that the choice of blade is quite important. A racket blade is a bit more than a dead slab of wood :) Will you be using your current blade and just buy rubbers, or are you looking for a complete new racket? (If you have a premade racket now, it may be very difficult to remove rubbers properly, and also the blade of a premade is often inferior quality.)

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 20:59 
Super User

I started off with Shriver rubbers, then Mark V on all round blade. In hindsight, those rubbers are two fast. And the rubber can do a lot of the work for you so you can be lazy and not learn proper stroke.

I, and I know another coach, recommend Chinese rubbers - Friendship 729's a re popular...I go for the pre-made DHS X4002 as a good price and quality for a pre-made...and the X5002 as a step up before getting a custom made bat to suit a devopling style .

I stumbled across these bats bay accident, after a shoulder op I took my game back to basics, and they helped me re-learn my shots - especially the forehand loop and topspin. I am only just moving away from the X5002 to an Off- bat and Hurricane 3 / Neo rubbers now I am happy with my technique (f/h anyways!).

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2013, 00:25 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
stupet11 said:
Quote:
I started off with Shriver rubbers, then Mark V on all round blade. In hindsight, those rubbers are two fast.

I agree that these and many other rubbers can be too fast for some advancing players. I was told to buy a 1.8mm Banda rubber for my first custom bat and it was too fast for me, so I ordered 2 sheets of Butterfly Tackiness Chop instead and played happily for 2 years with them, they were slower but had a lot of spin.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2013, 07:33 
Super User

Blade: Hugo Calderano OFF+
FH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
BH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
I think that sriver on an allround blade would be a good start for a beginner for the modern game. Sriver and Mark V are not fast in the terms of rubbers these days. Also Mark V is softer where sriver is a little harder, as most allround blades are fairly soft I would go with sriver in 1.9mm.

The main consideration is what your coach is suggesting for you. Mine suggested the above and I developed well enough and never found sriver or mark V fast at all. I would suggest a set up like this to anyone I coached as I know what it feels like to play with and understand the way it plays so I can more effectively coach a beginner with this set up.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2013, 13:19 

Ok so I will have a butterfly gergely bat, and from what I hear the sriver is a no go, I want rubbers that I can challenge myself with, I am a fast learner do u guys still reccomend the same thing?

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2013, 19:35 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

gianninaranjo wrote:
Ok so I will have a butterfly gergely bat, and from what I hear the sriver is a no go
Not at all. There may be better options for you, but as long as we have little clue of your level it is difficult to provide precise advice. A Gergely with Sriver may serve you well (*) . A slower blade will provide better control and it will be easier to develop spinny strokes.

(*) Possibly misleading. See later post and advice from others regarding the Gergely blade.

Last edited by keme on 20 Jan 2013, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2013, 19:44 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Gergely is so wrong a choice for you its not even funny, too fast, no feel. Totally wrong for a developing player, seems to be OK for long pimples though Lol.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2013, 20:07 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

I agree that the Gergely is a bad choice. You need the extreme skill level of a reborntabletennisevangelist to handle one of those. Get something a bit slower where you can actually feel the ball when you hit it. Sriver or Mark V are fine btw, as are many other rubbers. Avoid tensors for now though.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2013, 20:32 
Super User

'd get a Donic Waldner Senso Carbon instead of Gergely..
..and thinnest JO Silver rubbers on it

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2013, 21:00 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Like I said earlier you won't go wrong with the Stiga all round classic, it's good advice, you really should take it. I've made your impending mistake myself and wasted a good 15 years of my table tennis life. I don't like to see others make the same mistake.