OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:51

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
PostPosted: 06 May 2013, 11:04 
Super User

Blade: BTY Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Tibhar Aurus 1.9mm
BH: Tibhar Aurus 1.7mm
TTV usually does, 3 to 4 weeks after the event. Click on the letter "T" on it's webpage, located on the top left. I'm still waiting for Geelong Vets results, hopefully it will be there by next week.

An alternative is you could ask the Tournament control to email you a copy of the result and tell them it's for your Club's Newsletter. We used to get a copy when we did the "Nets & Vets".

PostPosted: 06 May 2013, 17:19 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Arlene, we missed you at the Vets yesterday. I thought you went to all the Vets lol. How do you go against JJ? She kindly stepped in for you yesterday to play the game we would usually play :P and I think she enjoyed playing me less than you have lately :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 07 May 2013, 19:58 
Super User

Yes, I usually go to all the tournaments, but I got annoyed at how Bendigo did the O40 Round Robin Event, and it cost me dearly with regards to points, so decided to skip it this year.

Don't be so modest Reb, you upset a lot of people with your style and set up :) At our level, style and rubbers play a factor in one's performance.

But at the higher level of table tennis, it does not matter, so yes it gets to me when I lose against someone who uses pimples or anti-spin, but it's a part of table tennis, it's what makes our sport interesting.

Yes, JJ did tell me about meeting you in the 3rd round of Division 3 and then losing it. I feel for her :( But JJ is a steady player, very patient with pushes, and when you open up, she's ready for the counter.

Will meet again Reb. I'm not done with rematches! You are 2-1 up.

PostPosted: 08 May 2013, 01:00 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Arlene I'm going to get myself an Anti Reb blade. I figure I'll get myself a willow blade and spongeless short pips, just leave it in the bag for when he appears in my draw, there's no way in hell he will out push me when there's no spin involved :rofl: :up: I'd suggest you get one too :). Bob beat him twice in a row with that kind of setup.

He seems quite disastrous with his new bh rubber, it does some pretty demented things to the ball I've got to say. Beatable if you really concentrated on beating it with a very low or no spin game rather than playing _normal_ It would take a while though and not something you would resort too unless it meant getting knocked out of a tournament. I just think having a anti Reb blade would piss him off just about as much as playing dtecs does to me lol :) and that would be entertaining.

PostPosted: 08 May 2013, 12:53 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

I tell you what Foam. I played Peter DP with his SP both sides and that didn't work as an anti reb setup. Whilst he did beat me, I was feeling really low energy and told him I wouldn't beat him as I was saving what I had for div 3. Even so I was far from disgraced. I think the score was 9, 10, 8. If I'd really been trying, who knows where it would have lead to. I know I was less afraid of Peter than Bob lol. Bob has this way about his game when playing me that he just keeps the ball coming back to my BH. Of course I was doing same to him as his SP FH shots are very awkward to deal with if you can get a bat on them. In the end our BH to BH rallies would see the Dtecs end up floating one long too often. I did run around to my FH several times, but missed a few of those too. It was a pretty close match with -5, 6, 11, 8 as the result. A step closer than last time I played him lol. Thought after the first set I might get him, but forgot to back it up :oops:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 08 May 2013, 14:09 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Wait what.... Peter DP uses short pips ?!, last time I played him he used medium pips FH, inverted BH and the medium pip was his fundamental weakness. Is that why he's beating everyone these days?.

PostPosted: 08 May 2013, 14:24 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Perhaps so. I was told they were SP both sides and certainly acted like it. If one was MP, it acted like SP anyone lol. No, I'd say SP both sides...no inverted to be seen thats for sure.

PostPosted: 08 May 2013, 14:33 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

That's interesting. He was definitely using a thick sponged medium pip last year on FH. Not much weirdness on it but just medium enough to not be a good attacking rubber. I'm sure he used inverted on BH too. He's been having a lot more success this year than last so maybe he did have a major equipment change.

PostPosted: 10 May 2013, 17:52 
Super User

Bendigo has submitted the Winners and Runner's Up result in the recently concluded Bendigo Vets on the TTV website.

This is very innovative and shows initiative on the part of the Bendigo Tournament control officers. If all clubs can do this, it sure will cut on waiting time, as TTV does not post the result until 3 weeks after the event :(

No Foam, trying to get the strokes correctly using inverted rubbers is hard enough, if I use another set-up against a specific kind of player, I will just get confused. It's all or nothing for me, I'll just have to put in the training to practice against these kind of rubbers.

PostPosted: 11 May 2013, 01:20 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Arlene your strokes are perfect all ready I see you on video in a couple of those news clips and always am so impressed how pro you look on video. If I only saw the video I wouldn't imagine I'd ever be able to win a match against you in a fit.

If I was an excellent counter hitter like you I'd for sure be using short and medium pip anyway, pointless using inverted if you don't play a variation or heavy spin game. So may as well use something that's harder to play against.

PostPosted: 11 May 2013, 15:21 
Super User

Are you talking about the Bendigo Newsclip a year ago? Oh God, that was shocking.... you are too kind Foam. But to my eyes, I look spastic and erratic and I always seem to take that ball too early....

I've just read an article by Larry Hodges and he said, the correct stroke for a FH is to visualize a barberpole, so the trunk serves as the central axis and the arm movement swings around... it is incorrect to lean too forward as you will lose your balance. I find this imagery very helpful.

For me, it's not all about winning. If I played my best, and still end up losing, then I would be happy with that. Sometimes you have to adapt your style according to the players you are playing against or their set-up, but the basics are there.

I have to admit though, I never look forward to playing against players with odd rubbers, it's a mental challenge and lack of confidence as I don't get to play against this kind of set-up that often.

Did not get a chance to touch base with you in Geelong Foam. I'll catch up with you in Ballarat.

PostPosted: 11 May 2013, 16:18 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I saw a clip from Geelong maybe? You were having a fast counter hit rally with someone. I'm not playing Ballarat now, I did plan on playing but went to send the form in a couple days ago and saw the entries closed last week!. I thought they would close the week before the tournament. Anyway so I gave up on that idea, I'm playing country week now instead. I'm starting practicing for it tomorrow actually. My wife's not far from delivering infamous looper generation 3 so I'm quite lucky to be allowed to play country week :).

Its very difficult for me to play unusual rubber also as its something that just doesn't exist in country clubs. I tend to be about 200 rating points behind against unknown things compared to a conventional player but I mean it doesn't really matter since you only have to deal with it once in a while, its a bit of a challenge to come up with a game plan that will get you over the line. If its all going to crap you can always pull out the top spinner serve circa age 10 just be prepared to have ear plugs in before the complaints and mental games come at you :rofl: .

I'm playing with different blades almost every time I play anyway so I could in theory easily invent something so I don't resort to such tactics.

Last edited by foam on 11 May 2013, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11 May 2013, 16:38 
Super User

Congratulations on the impending "bub"!

Living in the city has a lot of advantages. The proximity of good restaurants and places to buy Asian groceries and good access to table tennis clubs.

The one thing I really miss though is playing in Country Week. In Ballarat, they put up all the players in a hotel, so it's a great week-end getaway. Good luck in Country Week, hope you get some good wins!

PostPosted: 11 May 2013, 17:08 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Going to country week is about the best fun I have all year. I don't know how it compares to the nationals but for now living the life at the park view and eating at lygon street, finding some crazy food down at the Asian grocery followed up by almost endless matches of table tennis is pretty awesome.

This year I'm going to up the anti of awesome and try and find an Arabic grocery shop!:)

PostPosted: 12 May 2013, 11:45 
Super User

Foam, Country Week is fun, but the Nationals is DOUBLE the fun! You get a week of table tennis, not just the week-end!

You need to experience this event. My goal is to do the whole round at least once, so this year in Darwin, next year in Tasmania and after that Queensland and then I would have done the whole round....

The interstate players you meet become life long friends. It's a great atmosphere.

It's hard to qualify for the Men's State Team, as there are so many good players, but put your name down for the President's Team, and show the TTV selectors that you are keen and available. There are always last minute changes, so even if your name does not appear in the intial selection.... do not lose hope, continue to badger the selectors, be in their face and let them know that your bags are packed and ready to go. They like to see enthusiasm :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!