OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:17

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2013, 11:07 
The King

I've been playing with a fast long pips setup for years, Yinhe galaxy T10 with Palio ck531a with currently bluefire M2 as inverted to be more precise. It suits my style very well, i can pick balls right on the bounce, block, chop,sideswipe,push, anything I want really. However, this setup only works really well for me up to a certain level. Against lower ranked players no problem at all because my style is not something most players are used to. Combine that with good variation on serve and play in general, good eye on weak points of my opponent, killer smash which is hardly ever returned by anyone and there is almost 0 chance of losing to lower ranked players. Against equally ranked players pretty much the same with a few exceptions but in general I beat equally ranked players. Not sure how to compare my ranking to a US ranking but from I have seen on youtube I would say at least 2300+. German ranking around landesliga.

There are a few problems against higher ranked players however. For one I lose my serve advantage, very few direct points. Also the first incoming attack is often hard, deep, low and spinny which forces me to move back. And most importantly, there is less time to react. I've been looking for ways to improve speed which worked but still not enough time. Then I realized something I somehow overlooked. As I play with a fast blade on which the palio ck531a works pretty much perfectly most pips balls are played quite fast even on chops. The balls stays low and flat and reaches my opponent quickly. As a result the next attack from my opponent is also returned quickly which gives me very little time to react.

So I started looking at alternative setups and selected a few blades I wanted to test. To be more precise these are the blades:
    Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence
    Joola Weixing
    Nittaku KVU
    Nittaku Shake defense
    Tibhar stratus power defense
    Victas Koji Matsushita
    Yasaka Sweeper
    Win-Tec power defence

I did not own any of the blades listed besides the shake defense and some blades I did not plan to buy initially. A friend of mine at our club had a second hand matsushita powerdefence and after playing 3 shots with it I told him I would buy it from him. When I got home I ordered 2 brand new ones from tabletennis.inters.pl as they are apparently out of production. The weixing I bought on sale at a generic sports shop which had a sale on table tennis equipment. I knew pretty much nothing about the blade, after playing with it I went back to the shop the next day and bought another one because it played very well. The KVU I bought second hand on the german pimp my blade forum(don't have this blade yet but it's on its way). The stratus power defense I got from tabletennis.inters.pl, the victas and the sweeper I got from sport europe(dutch table tennis shop) and the wintec power defence blade I got from schuett sport(also on its way). More about the blades later.

After playing with the Victas Matsushita pro today I noticed I could get to pretty much any ball and had plenty of time to anticipate and react. The difference? The vkm is much slower than my usual setup, the ball trajectory is not as flat and all this combined gives me plenty of time to react and anticipate even against higher ranked players. Higher ranked players in this case are top 200 players here in Holland. So this is quite a breakthrough and I can't believe I did not realize this before. There is also a downside to a slower setup, against lower ranked players I have to put in more effort to win. More information about the blades in the next post which should be online anytime soon.

Put to rest:
Galaxy T10 Bluefire M2 2.0 Palio Ck531a ox
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox
Donic Defplay Senso Tibhar Aurus Sound Black max * Grass D-tecs ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2013, 14:14 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Good on you for starting a blog Elvis56 :rock:

I experienced similar problems myself, although you're no doubt higher level than me. :oops: So you with new setup, you're finding it more effective when chopping?

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2013, 17:24 
The King

haggisv wrote:
Good on you for starting a blog Elvis56 :rock:

I experienced similar problems myself, although you're no doubt higher level than me. :oops: So you with new setup, you're finding it more effective when chopping?

Yes, more effective would be the best description. It's not more difficult or easier to chop but effectively I have more time to anticipate the next ball.

Only shot I can't play with a slower setup is passive block from second position. The t10 setup is fast enough to return a ball with pips 3 meters away by just touching the ball or with very little movement at least.

Put to rest:
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2013, 01:37 
The King

There is a good chance my quest for a new blade will end before it really started. I was planning a big test one I got all the blades but after playing with the Victas Matsushita I did not try any of the other blades again. Today I tested some blades and rubbers at the local TT shop and I was so impressed with the Victas 401 rubber I bought one instantly. The amount of spin this generates on the Matsushita is insane.

Still 2 blades in the mail, the nittaku kvu and the win-tec power defense.

As for the rubbers, inverted will be the Victas 401 in 2mm, pips for now are Dawei 388d which work surprisingly well but this Wednesday I should be able to try the hellfire pips. If that doesnt turn out well I will try palio ck531a, pogo, bomb talent and probably some more pips I have lying around. I decided not to use d-tecs anymore as I find the d-tecs to unpredictable at times and too sensitive to temperature and humidity.

Put to rest:

Current standings:

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2013, 02:59 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Elvis, you post on Pimp My Blade forum?

Variato a while back made a comparison of USATT and German ratings.

http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17872

You sound like you mean business, enjoy!

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2013, 04:05 
The King

Der_Echte wrote:
Elvis, you post on Pimp My Blade forum?

Variato a while back made a comparison of USATT and German ratings.

http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17872

You sound like you mean business, enjoy!

Yes, I sometimes post on the pmb forum but mostly just read there as it takes quite some effort to write in German. Reading German and translating to English is much easier as you can see in the long post about pro versions of rubbers I translated.

I will ask the German player at our club what his rating is in Germany, that should give me something to compare with.

Put to rest:

Current standings:

Post subject: Re: Win-tec power def
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2013, 00:23 
The King

I received 2 win-tec power def blades today. As far as I can tell this is a custom brand by German shop schuett-sport. I bought the blades for 2 reasons, some positive reviews on noppentest and pimp my blade but mostly because they were selling the blades at a reduced price because the blades were mislabeled. Normal price around 36 euro, reduced price 15 euro.

The fact that there even were mislabeled blades didn't give me much confidence in their quality control. This turned out to be correct, quality of the wood used was very poor, minor damages everywhere, glue stains and splintered wood.

I decided to sand and seal 1 of the blades as I still want to try the blades. The blade is very large, bouncing the ball feels good. I glued bluefire m2 and Dawei 388d on the blade, will test later tonight. The thing is, even if it plays well I don't think I will use this as my competition blade because if the quality control issue and the fact that this is a small brand that could be gone tomorrow.

Put to rest:

Current standings:

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2013, 02:48 
Super User

About four of your blades are named " power defence "...is this a look-for or a must-have? :D

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2013, 02:59 
The King

timeout wrote:
About four of your blades are named " power defence "...is this a look-for or a must-have? :D

I noticed that as well, seems to be a popular term for blades. With subtle variations though, defence, defense, def. Off to practice now.

Put to rest:

Current standings:

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2013, 03:42 
The King

At the club now and while I hate to admit it: this terrible looking win-tec blade with the poor quality wood and and the small damages and splinters plays absolutely fantastic. A bit faster than the victas but control is very very good while still enough power to attack. Aggressive pushes and attacking with pips is easier than with the Victas.

Less wobble from the pips than on the Victas but at least as controlled. The weight of the blade surprised me, only 77 gram. A bit more flex and vibration but all in all very happy with the blade so far. The true test will be on Wednesday when I train with the higher ranked players again.

Put to rest:

Current standings:

Post subject: Re: Victas 401
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2013, 06:15 
The King

Still at the club played with the Victas Matsushita with Victas 401 against a very decent looper. He was amazed by the amount of spin on chops, serve and topspin. No way he could spin 2 in a row, even his dropshots ended up in the net most of the time. Victas 401 is by far the spinniest rubber I have ever seen.

Put to rest:

Current standings:

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2013, 22:39 

so, is it safe to say your quest has ended? Been here everyday to check on your journey, but was too lazy to register and reply!
Always wanted to do something like this, but not possible here in Brazil :(

what's your verdict on the VKM? is it worth it?
and what sponge thickness on the victas 401?

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2013, 05:26 
The King

mutuz wrote:
so, is it safe to say your quest has ended? Been here everyday to check on your journey, but was too lazy to register and reply!
Always wanted to do something like this, but not possible here in Brazil :(

what's your verdict on the VKM? is it worth it?
and what sponge thickness on the victas 401?

Well not 100% sure but it seems what I thought would be a long quest to find the ideal blade ended before it really started. Then again surprises are always possible as I did not the win-tec power def to play as well as it does. It plays so well I ordered another 4 win-tec power def blades which should be enough to last me a lifetime. Good to hear from someone from brasil, I've been with my Brasilian girlfriend for almost a year now. Met het over here though, not been to brasil yet. I often read and heard brasil has some ridiculous import taxes on things like playstation, wii, xbox etc. Is this the same for table tennis equipment?

The victas Koji Matsushita was my favorite blade but there are a few things about the blade that are not ideal. For one I think the handle is way too short, much shorter than an average handle. The handle is also a bit thinner than normal but this is not much of a problem. Second is the weight at around 89 gram which is more than i am used to. The blade is not very fast but probably at exactly the right speed to progress my playing level. Due to the low speed I discovered I had more time to anticipate the next ball. Would I recommend this blade? If you can still develop enough power to attack yes, if you only want to chop yes, if you only want to play block close to the table probably not. The blade is expensive but just abouth wort its money I think. Then again, I can(and in fact just did so) buy 4 win-tec power def blades including shipping for the price of 1 victas matsushita. please note there is currently a worldwide shortage of victas matsushita blades with straight handle.

I am still waiting for the Nittaku KVU, it arrived in Holland last saturday already but somehow it then takes DHL forever to deliver it to my door.

The problem choosing one blade of all the ones I bought is that all the blades are good blades. The woodworking on the win-tec blade was horrible as mentioned before but it plays fantastic. Wood quality on the yasaka sweeper left a bit to be desired as well but as least the handle was glued on straight(which is not the case on the win-tec blade). The first victas matsushita I got had many small dents and dames so I exchanged it for another one which was better but not the high quality one would expect from a 70 euro blade. Butterfly powerdefence also was so so wood quality wise which should not happen on a butterfly blade. Stratus powerdefense very well made using high quality wood but the absolute best blade build quality wise is the Joola chen weixing. Perfect wood, perfectly symmetrical(which again, the win-tec was not!)

First blade i eliminated was the yasaka sweeper. It is just too dead and slow for the style of play i have in mind. it reminded me of a LKT toxic 5 or even toxic 3 with the dead sound when hitting. So far this is the only blade I am certain I will not play with next season. Nominated to be eliminated next: the butterfly powerdefence. The first powerdefence I tried was a second hand one which had been reduced in size. After hitting a few balls with this blade I bought it from my friend. Spin was and is fantastic with pretty much any rubber on this blade. Some problems with this blade, the brand new butterfly powerdefence blades I ordered were of course not reduced in size and therefor heavy, 101 and 102 gram. Spin was also fantastic on the new blade but somehow it as missing that special feeling the size reduced one has. Closer inspection showed the newer blades are thicker than the old one because the veneers are thicker in size. While I could reduce the size of at least one of the newer blades i would prefer to use a factory made size.

Lastly a link to the win-tec power def blade on german website schuett sport which is one of 2 websites selling the blade: http://www.schuett-sport.de/Tischtennis ... druck.html

Put to rest:

Current standings:

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2013, 10:01 

oh really?! You will be welcomed with open arms anywhere around here! Just have to be careful lol! but your girlfriend probably knows better to not get you in danger :lol:

Yeah, taxes are high for pretty much everything, not only electronics. We pay almost the double for a car. Not different with table tennis equipment, I mean, rubbers are not really that pricey (probably because they travel to get them directly with the suplier and dont pay taxes HUEHUE BR), but blades... oh lord... just an example, one bty innerforce zlc is about 200 USD on US and asia... here is about 350 USD, more than 50% on taxes. But I think that the main problem is that table tennis is not all that popular here, so its pretty hard to find a big variety of equipment, only the bigger brands get here and even so, not all they got.

I'm pretty much bent to buy a victas matsushita, a friend of mine is going to japan... Probably they have it there, the ST handle.

What about the bty joo se hyuk? Have you ever tried? And what do you think about the Nittaku shake defense?
Plz, do a review on the KVU too! :angel:

I support your quest all the way! :up:

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2013, 10:14 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Great blog Elvis! I'm enjoying your posts.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics