OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 12:52

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2013, 15:37 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I was chatting to a friend who told me about these different types of short/medium pimples, which I wasn't really aware of.

He said that
Quote:
"generally in my experience cooked pips with the likes of the 802 series or super spin pips are harder to bend then the likes of un cooked pips like spectol or the 799 series, at least that is the impression i get... i wouldn't say a lot a lot, but in my experience they are harder by a noticeable difference...

i think the ratio is half and half but the chinese do put most medium pips into the uncooked category...

with some of the uncooked pips i have heard and experienced a skidding effect while blocking... like on a spiny loop you block with spectol and the ball "skids" on the then i block it into the net, while this is less experienced with the cooked pips for some reason, people claim cooking the pips it increases grip on the ball...

for some reason the chinese prefers cooked for the FH and un cooked for the BH, this is true with Tang Peng, Wang Tao, Miao Miao, Johnny Huang, LGL...

cooked pip normally have an matte color while uncooked is more translucent... compare red spectol with red 802..."

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2013, 16:19 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I guess the uncooked pips are the ones that can take the pace off the ball more and would probably have more control.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2013, 17:04 
The King

I read about this on mytt.net long time ago, thread is here
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_po ... pinny-pips

The chinese does make distinction between 'cooked' and 'raw' pips. The 'cooked' pips tend to be a bit harder, whereas the 'raw' pips are softer. An example of a 'raw' rubber is the sole of most table tennis shoes.

In general, most 'cooked' pips are short pips and most 'raw' pips are medium pips. Of course, there are exception.

'Cooked' pips rubbers: RITC 802, DSH 651, Dawei 388B, Globe 889, TSP Spinpips ...etc. 'Raw' pips rubbers: RITC 799 / 563, DSH Sharping, Dawei 388C, Globe 888, TSP Spectol ...etc.

'Cooked' pips plays close to inverted because it can generate spin easier. 'Raw' pips generate less spin and it is quite deceiving but not as much as LP. The other advantage of 'raw' pips is that it can hit with incredible speed. The disadvantage of 'raw' pips is that it is more difficult to control than 'cooked' pips. But, once you can master the technique, it can be a deadly weapon. Example of some female players who use 'raw' pips on their bh: Jiang Huajun, Cao Zhen, Wang Yue Gu and Dang Ye Seo. Male player is Tang Peng.

Put to rest:
Galaxy T10 Bluefire M2 2.0 Palio Ck531a ox
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox
Donic Defplay Senso Tibhar Aurus Sound Black max * Grass D-tecs ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2013, 23:19 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
Is stir-frying a good method? I figure stir-frying with olive oil would also revitalize the rubber.

*facepalm*

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I love a good stir-fry.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2013, 10:15 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

I want mine over-easy, medium cooked please. :D

I think a lot of what we call "mid-pips" are "raw".

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2013, 10:18 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks Elvis56 (or should I say your majesty 8) ?), very informative! :up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2013, 21:15 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I must admit when I first read this thread title, I thought Haggisv's gone loopy posting his microwave experiments in this SP section. Turns out its more informative than I realised and while I'm sure Haggisv is still loopy, its got more to do with his rubbers than his faculties :P :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2013, 10:46 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
I'm sure Haggisv is still loopy, its got more to do with his rubbers than his faculties :P :lol:

LOL... thank Reb ( I think 8) )

This talk about cooking the rubbers also reminds me of Armstrong, who claim to cook their rubbers (inverted as well as pips) much longer than other manufacturers, which is why they claim their rubbers have more grip.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2013, 05:28 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
I was chatting to a friend who told me about these different types of short/medium pimples, which I wasn't really aware of.

He said that
Quote:
"generally in my experience cooked pips with the likes of the 802 series or super spin pips are harder to bend then the likes of un cooked pips like spectol or the 799 series, at least that is the impression i get... i wouldn't say a lot a lot, but in my experience they are harder by a noticeable difference...

i think the ratio is half and half but the chinese do put most medium pips into the uncooked category...

with some of the uncooked pips i have heard and experienced a skidding effect while blocking... like on a spiny loop you block with spectol and the ball "skids" on the then i block it into the net, while this is less experienced with the cooked pips for some reason, people claim cooking the pips it increases grip on the ball...

for some reason the chinese prefers cooked for the FH and un cooked for the BH, this is true with Tang Peng, Wang Tao, Miao Miao, Johnny Huang, LGL...

cooked pip normally have an matte color while uncooked is more translucent... compare red spectol with red 802..."

I wonder if the "cooking" refers to the degree or type of vulcanization employed?

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2013, 20:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
I must admit when I first read this thread title, I thought Haggisv's gone loopy posting his microwave experiments in this SP section. Turns out its more informative than I realised and while I'm sure Haggisv is still loopy, its got more to do with his rubbers than his faculties :P :lol:

I thought the same, but now that I think about it some SP rubbers are much harder and less compliant than others and this may be why. Interesting, and since it is done by the manufacturer it is totally legal.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2013, 07:02 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
I'm sure Haggisv is still loopy

I thought he was more of a chop-blocker. CSTT is loopy, right?

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2013, 09:06 

hello i have short pips called stiga clippa and wondering are these cooked? also im wondering whether are all newer short pips now like the blowfish butterfly raystorm etc are all cooked as cooked creates more spin?

another question is vertical and horizontal placement? which placement is better for spin and also how do i find out which mine has? none of this info is mentioned when i bought mine

thanks!

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2013, 18:34 
Super User

I dont know what you guys do with your pips but I certainly dont cook mine.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2015, 07:14 

Let me share my observations about cooked and raw pips. I'm two-winged SP/MP player and switch them from time to time.
Raw pips have soft elastic top-sheet, cooked- hard, much less elastic top-sheet. The degree of elasticity determines difference in their playing characteristics.
Raw pips can be deformed by the ball due to their elasticy. Cooked pips can hardly be deformed.
Cooked pips has more surface grip than raw ones. But with raw pips you can get additional grip when the ball digged inside pips because of elasticy. The elasticity of raw pips make additional impact on rebound speed. Also raw pips have more dwell time.
The behavior of cooked pips on high and low impact shots is quite similar. I'd define them as more reliable and stable. This stability gives you more control.
With raw pips you can place short or on contary give extra kick, manipulate spin more. So you have more gears and options for your shots. However they are more demanding and sometimes these gears can play against you in critical situations. For example, blocking really heavy loops with raw pips is much harder.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2015, 09:29 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Excellent post Alx :clap: :clap: :clap: