OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 19:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2013, 09:36 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Although I play at least 3x a week, I am always lacking in fitness especially if the game is dragged up to 5th set. During this crucial times that I could not be consistent especially with my offense. I am gasping for air and have to slow down. In table tennis, if you are slow, you are dead (especially if you are a double inverted :lol: )

I began running again for about a month now and this affected my game immediately. I can feel the difference. However, I still need to improve my footworks. I need to improve my foot speed. Do you have any suggestion?

Last edited by Red_lion on 31 Jul 2014, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2013, 10:13 
Super User

I think what you're already doing is all that you can do but here are some utubes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83kodRepqKg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrtUD9jmsLM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e_ZDaE2y7M

The first two just focus on robot drills and drills with a partner.
I like the last one but its tennis oriented.
Good luck.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2013, 10:20 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
I found that when I was playing badminton, as well as table tennis, it improved my footwork in table tennis a lot - and also helped strengthen the wrist, which helps in looping.

I will start badminton again in about 1 month's time, after the Vets champs, for fitness and to improve footwork - won't start now as don't want to risk injury!

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2013, 15:04 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Badminton.. have played it for 2 years.. I hate the feeling of not beating the better players :lol: . Can't watch the youtube videos yet. Will watch it once I get home.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2013, 22:20 
Super User

When I was playing badminton competitively there was a number of drills I used to get better footwork. But when I reached my plateau in foot speed there was 2 drills that REALLY helped me increase my fitness/footspeed.

I am at work so I cant find them on youtube right now, but the names of the videos are :

"Chinese Footwork/Fast Feet" and
"Chinese Footwork 2 (Alternatives)"

They are about 10-15 minutes long. And if do 1 of the workouts twice a week I GUARANTEE you will see a great increase in footwork

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2013, 00:27 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
You do not mention how you do your running so some general suggestions

1. Slow jogging does not particularly help your speed-unless you are overweight and it leads to weight loss.
2. Doing sprints may help a little bit, but not if you hurt yourself.

A combination of drills (for quickness) AND cardiovascular exercise (running, swimming, bicycling, elliptical) for overall fitness and weight loss/maintenance is best IMO.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2013, 09:45 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Thanks for reinforcing that point vanjr. Yes I'm trying do sprints but I easily get tired compared to jogging alone. :lol:

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2013, 23:27 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Being lightweight = being fast. You can train all you want but in the end, light weight is what makes you fast on your feet. Strap 30kilos on me and I wouldn't even be able to stand up. I've got no cue how the average weighted man moves full stop :p. I'm old and sick and I'm still much faster around the table than any of the youngsters in my club, it's just about power to weight.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2013, 04:05 
Super User

Red_lion wrote:
Although I play at least 3x a week, I am always lacking in fitness especially if the game is dragged up to 5th set. During this crucial times that I could not be consistent especially with my offense. I am gasping for air and have to slow down. In table tennis, if you are slow, you are dead (especially if you are a double inverted :lol: )

I begin running again for about a month now and this affected my game immediately. I can feel the difference. However, I still need to improve my footworks. I need to improve my foot speed. Do you have any suggestion?

I use my Newgy 2050 robot for footwork drills. Rather than hit the ball, I catch the ball on the rise with my left hand and drop the ball into a ball "bucket" I'm carrying. Catching with the left hand encourages the proper open stance for a forehand stroke. It also allows me to focus on what my feet are doing rather than on my stroke and whether my shots are hitting.

For general fitness, I do a four mile loop on my bike that includes a 10% uphill grade for about a mile. Two loops take a bit over 30 minutes which is similar to most TT match lengths. I think the uphill portions improve leg strength and hence speed and do it without the impact of sprinting.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2013, 11:25 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Thanks much guys. I have a robo pong and I agree that this really improve footworks. I have a medium frame and speed will bring me to the next level. :lol:

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2013, 01:35 

Exercise is very important to improve your fitness level and stamina for your game.
Do some exercise specially cardio such as walking, running, and swimming etc. for improving your body strength and fitness level to perform in your game.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2013, 01:43 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
foam wrote:
Being lightweight = being fast. You can train all you want but in the end, light weight is what makes you fast on your feet. Strap 30kilos on me and I wouldn't even be able to stand up. I've got no cue how the average weighted man moves full stop :p. I'm old and sick and I'm still much faster around the table than any of the youngsters in my club, it's just about power to weight.

I'm amazed at what people I perceive to be slow / heavyweight / crippled can do. I'm late 30s, fit and light. Sure my footwork sucks and needs more work. But I'm frequently beaten by a man who is 83 and can barely walk (true he was county standard in his prime), a woman who is really pretty hefty and barely moves at all, and a bloke who just stands right at the table and blocks everything with really fast reactions.

I'm sure my fitness and age should give me a big advantage, but it seems to make no difference at all.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 15:24 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Lord cope,

That means you don't use your advantage againts them :lol: . They can anticipate your moves. I for one have played againts a paralympic player and got ambushed by his backhand.
I remember you posting jumping rope as a means to improve speed. I believe this is really helpful.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 18:35 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Red_lion wrote:
Lord cope,

That means you don't use your advantage againts them :lol: . They can anticipate your moves. I for one have played againts a paralympic player and got ambushed by his backhand.
I remember you posting jumping rope as a means to improve speed. I believe this is really helpful.

Yeah - I'm excited about this. I'm just not sure where to get one. Am in London today, so might be able to find a shop. Of course there's the internets, but I was hoping a friendly forum member could give me some pointers.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2013, 15:08 

Thanks for making this thread i have got number of useful things from this thread and this discussion really helped me a lot in
increasing my stamina and also i am getting good results in sports....Thanks