OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:52

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2013, 15:05 
Super User

I'm gonna respond to that, foam, by quoting the OOAK Store reviews:

"Dr evil is for those people who really know how to chop. It doesn't do the work for you, like long pips."

Maybe that's why I can't use it, athough it was quite useable vs my robot, and you can :clap:

I think I'm going to fit it on my instinct and give a second go...

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2013, 17:05 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
We have 3 league divisions 1-3, 1 highest etc.

Early this year
I am a upper one player and I played a lower one player. I used Dr Evil on both sides of a Hock bat. My opponent played with 4H Tenergy 05 BH LP 1.0. At the time I wasn't playing with the hard bat much, once a week for 1-3 hours. I won the match 3-1. I had to chop all the topspin and I would hit the BS if I was in position.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2013, 23:33 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I wouldn't be able to play a good level both sides with Dr Evil. I have to go a long way past my rating to find other players with as strong a forehand. I can't think of anyone in my division with as heavy a loop and really can't think of anyone in the division after that who has much sting on their loop either, no one I've played anyway. The problem I've always had is my lack of control on backhand and general lack of matchcraft against really good players. So I'm fairly dependant on a fh with inverted along with a loopy kind of blade.

Most people pick on my backhand or play to my backhand and then cross to the forehand to catch me out. I've found that slower and more controlled rubber on the backhand helps me keep the ball much tighter and slows everything down enough that they can't beat me into a pulp with fast rallies to my backhand. When I have time to play with some power then I am much more likely to win against better players so even though in theory giving up spin and pace on the bh sounds a bad idea, for me its working out just fine. Its been a year now I've been playing with controlled short pips most of the time and still haven't lost a match with them but I haven't played anyone who I couldn't potentially beat with inverted so exactly how well I can play with the pips is a bit unknown.

Still even if I can only play to the same level as I do with pips as I do with inverted against normal players the advantage against anti and lp players for me will increase my rating. Plus I'm still hitting a lot of balls twiddling to inverted which also works better for me on slower blades and the straight handle seems to help me out too. All around I'm happy with the decision to go in this direction.

I had been playing the same way for a very long time and was pretty tired of it. I don't I think anyone will realise just how differently I'm playing now. Its a refreshing change for me :).

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2013, 23:59 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
If you weren't so far away I'd love to be the one to judge how evil it makes your game :lol:

The last time we played you didn't even chance using SP against me and with your 2x inverted you were a pushover....nothing like the demon you were the time before that :devil: I think that had a lot to do with my Dtecs vs Pogo change tricking up your FH abilities. So this rubber may buy you some more FH opportunities perhaps. I'll have to wait and see I guess.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2013, 00:21 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Well one time was a match and the next time was after I hadn't played in 6 months :) but yes dtects is much more nasty. I wouldn't have won that match if you were using the dtects rather than pogo. It was already super close with pogo and pogo is crap, really at least from a playing against it perspective. The thing with dtects is that its bad news for someone like me because its so unpredictable and slippery, but I'm 99% sure Dr evil makes my struggles against lp blockers a non issue. Should be interesting to test the theory one day. I guess I could order a sheet of cheap palio lp and stick it on a hinoki carbon and give it to the sp blocker in my club as a reb simulator Lol.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2013, 00:57 
Super User

timeout wrote:
How do you guys even chop with short pips at all?

Really? Back in the day when just about all the players chopped as well as hit, they played with short pips, no sponge on both sides. AKA Hardbat.

Chopping with Dr. Evil isn't particularly difficult at all from the standpoint of the rubber being used. Of course, learning any technique well certainly can be difficult. But beyond the fundamentals of chopping, with Dr. Evil (or any short pip OX rubber for that matter), get a decent slightly oversize blade and learn the angles. With high racket speed you can get wickedly fast underspin on the ball. Certainly fast enough to entice many players to push or drop shot the chop.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2013, 01:06 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
foam wrote:
I guess I could order a sheet of cheap palio lp and stick it on a hinoki carbon and give it to the sp blocker in my club as a reb simulator Lol.

C'mon! Seriously? You think any old LP and any kind of player can simulate me? :lol: :lol:

Others have thought this to their peril LOL. There is many a player who has thought of trying to borrow my equipment to take on a player they just can't beat, thinking it will improve their chances, only to find that "gee, the bat doesn't do everything for you" and "wow, it doesn't wield your magic in my hands, why?" :P

Even if you buy them some dtecs and put it on a Gergely, you ain't gonna get a reb simulator. When they made me - they broke the mould :devil: :devil: :lol: :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2013, 07:08 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
foam wrote:
I guess I could order a sheet of cheap palio lp and stick it on a hinoki carbon and give it to the sp blocker in my club as a reb simulator Lol.

C'mon! Seriously? You think any old LP and any kind of player can simulate me? :lol: :lol:

Others have thought this to their peril LOL. There is many a player who has thought of trying to borrow my equipment to take on a player they just can't beat, thinking it will improve their chances, only to find that "gee, the bat doesn't do everything for you" and "wow, it doesn't wield your magic in my hands, why?" :P

Even if you buy them some dtecs and put it on a Gergely, you ain't gonna get a reb simulator. When they made me - they broke the mould :devil: :devil: :lol: :lol:

Your error is that you don't know how good a blocker this guy is, I'm 100% confidant he can grab your blade and play almost your level with it! :), he'd be over 1000 anyway. He's a born natural dodgy blocker with crazy angles over the table, he's not a looper or anything like that who needs a certain rubber.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2013, 07:29 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Actually we already have a lp player here but he uses sponge and a soft blade so it's not dtects worthy but I know how I normally go against him. I'll give him a hit next week with the Dr Evils and see if I can whip him more easily with it.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2013, 16:31 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I had a hit today, I'm helping a novice player develop into a decent player over the summer, lucky for me he's left handed so while he learns to loop I can practice my BH chopping. I used Dr Evil for the first hour ,an hour on 802 and then Dr Evil again to finish the day. Actually found Dr Evil very easy to chop with after using 802 for that long and I then found inverted quite easy to chop with too... I think just as the general form and skill improves I'm ending up being able to chop better with everything. I do really like the feel of Dr Evil on the blade hitting over the table but 802 is better a couple feet further back and flat hitting, both really prefer to chop once you go back a couple meters. I think a few more weeks of this and after my friend gets stronger with his loop I'm going to try LP again just to see if I can control it now, I'm also interested in how learning Dr Evil over the table translates into hitting with LP during similar opportune moments. Dr Evil is excellent for learning ball feel on the blade.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 23:35 
Super User

foam wrote:
I'm also interested in how learning Dr Evil over the table translates into hitting with LP during similar opportune moments. Dr Evil is excellent for learning ball feel on the blade.

about a month ago I was at friends house who has a table and he is a decent basement player, so I decided to use the hardbat when we played. Besides chopping with it which was suprisingly fun, throughout the night I figured out how to hit balls with it over the table pretty consistently. Specifically with the backhand, no spin/back spin balls I was able to just clobber one after the other. and so...

The next day I was hitting at the club and 2 things happend which I did not expect. 1 it took me a good 15 minutes to get used to my fast blade again :o . but 2 what I am really trying to get it is I was able to pick hit with the Dtecs better than I have ever been able to. I was surpised how easy it was after doing it with the hardbat. And this was the shot I most disliked about the Dtecs. So you might find it a lot easier to hit over the table with LP after using SP ox (or hardbat). I would also note that I am using sponge under my LP which clearly accounts for some of the reason It was easier to hit.

You are right though, using the hardbat (or SP ox) can help you build a really good feel for for the blade, especially on shots when you are bottoming out the rubber and hitting with the bat.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2013, 23:18 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I had a hit with a guys bat the other night that uses the Palio LP on .5mm sponge, I could now hit with it at the table just fine! but I couldn't generate anymore chopping spin with it than I could with Dr Evil lol. I think next week I'll try my sheet old TSP P-2 1.0mm again since that's a nice rubber along with my usual short pip adventures

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2013, 15:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
townhousecrackers said:
Quote:
You are right though, using the hardbat (or SP ox) can help you build a really good feel for for the blade,

I totally AGREE!

An ox SP custom rubber that you buy, then glue on, is much better quality than a $7 hardbat from Walmart. The SP custom rubber has a much better feel. And this allows the player to build a really good feel for the blade and the various shots.

I have played with Friendship 802, 802-40, Galaxy Pluto and my favorite Friendship 799, all in ox. It has been an education in variety and blade feel after being a double inverted player.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2013, 20:07 

foam wrote:
Well one time was a match and the next time was after I hadn't played in 6 months :) but yes dtects is much more nasty. I wouldn't have won that match if you were using the dtects rather than pogo. It was already super close with pogo and pogo is crap, really at least from a playing against it perspective. The thing with dtects is that its bad news for someone like me because its so unpredictable and slippery, but I'm 99% sure Dr evil makes my struggles against lp blockers a non issue. Should be interesting to test the theory one day. I guess I could order a sheet of cheap palio lp and stick it on a hinoki carbon and give it to the sp blocker in my club as a reb simulator Lol.

No worries Foam I will tell you how to beat him

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2013, 23:08 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Im still chopping with dr evil I prefer it over 802 now. I want to see if I can make div one as a modern defender. I guess I would have been there by now if I had of played last year anyway but im finding it much more exciting and refeshing playing with a new style. Just to mix things up im going to sell out and use an easier rubber on my forehand. not something totally soft but maybe hexer hd or tenergy. Ive known for a while now that I play more consistant with non chinese rubber and dont loose any spin but get muuuuch more pace on my forehand, violently fast actually. So yeah I figured ill do that, itll also make the fh bh diference huge and more dodgy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next