OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:21

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: How to attack with pips?
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013, 03:48 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
When attacking with long pips, do you usually have a more direct or grazing contact?

Do you graze in the direction the ball is already spinning to increase reversal?

(Just trying to promote discussion!)

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013, 09:47 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I think Attacking with LPs falls into 2 catagories

1. Attacking backspin balls; either via an aggressive push or via a hit/lift. They is a key shot for LPs players and can actually be a percenttage shot too.

2. Attacking / counter-attacking topspin balls - this is harder will almost certainly require a grippier LP and some wrist-workbecause you don't want reversal on these shots as it makes it much harder to land and limits it's speed if it's below the net level (needs gravity to make it drop).

There may be other catagories I have not thought of... :oops:

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2013, 05:51 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

I agree with Haggisv about the main attack opportunities with pips. I am still only beginning to get to grips with the pips, but here are my findings:
Hitting with a lift against backspin (using the incoming spin) is the most efficient way to catch less experienced opponents off guard. Against some players I can hit a winner directly against serve, again and again.

I am not able to counter a powerful topspin with LP. Could probably be done with a powerful swing and grippy pips, but I am sure it would require a determined stroke. I usually wait for a slightly higher bounce and hit it flat, somewhat like you would do with short pips.
Sometimes I fake a slow loop (has to be slow because it has no spin, so you must depend on gravity as haggisv noted above). Not a very high percentage shot for me yet...

I also find the chop block fairly efficient as an attacking shot. While you can't hit very hard, you put pressure on the opponent by hitting early and having a wide angle of aim. Usually not a winner, but it may set up one.

One strength of LP for offense lies in the "setup strokes". Push against underspin often carries no spin or light topspin, so you get a popup back if the opponent expects underspin. That deception requires slow strokes, otherwise the spin can be read from the ball trajectory. You have to vary the speed, though. If you always return slow, you give the opponent too much time.

I do not use very grippy pips, and tend to hit fairly flat most of the time. The exception is the "fake loop". With inverted you have to strike flat to achieve a "spinless loop", but with pips you can brush and have sufficient lift without imparting any significant spin.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2013, 06:12 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
Sounds complicated. Long pips attacking....I'd like to play someone with this style. Sounds intriguing, if somewhat frustrating.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2013, 07:23 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
Attacking long pips is fun and challenging, it took me quite some years (before I discover OOAK, of course) before I can do it with ease.

When practicing, I usually stay back, chop all balls until the other player start pushing; then I comes in and attack. Depends on how high the ball is, if low, lift with forward push; if medium but higher than the net, slightly open the blade and whack the ball, I use my wrist; If ball is high enough, just like keme said, hit the ball like a short pip.

BTW, I use 755 OX red (us $5) on a off+ blade. :)

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2013, 15:39 
Super User

Agree with everyone's list of options for attacking with LP.

Using spin reversal is a lot of fun because that is one time you can hit a heavy loop with LP. One of the things I enjoy doing when playing against a LP chopper is to serve long with topspin crosscourt to their BH, they chop, I "loop" with my BH using spin reversal, they chop, I loop, etc... We just continue to reverse each other's spin!

One shot I really need to work on is the flat punch when you can catch the ball above the net. I like the way Wang Xi does this. Can be almost impossible to return.

Sometimes I can have a bit of success "counter looping" a high drive or smash with my LP.
I'm not sure exactly how I do it. I don't think it has much topspin and I rely on gravity to make it drop - so it's obviously not a very fast shot, but it looks fast off the bat. It can be a good surprise tactic...though if you do it too many times your opponent would figure it out.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013, 10:28 

Blade: Re-Impact Smart
FH: Hellfire OX
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.7mm
I use long pips in my forehand to attack...I do not chop with my forehand, can drive if the ball is not comfortable to attack. Played with inverted rubbers for 9 years, tried Hallmark Phoenix, Grass D.TecS OX and now I am using TSP P2 curl with 1.4-1.7mm sponge thickness. I use the same movement of top spin learned with inverted rubbers to attack with the long pips.
I have a couple of long pips that I bought but haven't tried....so far it's mu opinion that TSP P2 is the best rubber to attack using long pips

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013, 15:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
Find a Dr. Neubauer training DVD.. it clearly shows many offensive LP strokes. http://www.amazon.com/Neubauer-Table-Te ... B003B6ZMYY

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2014, 23:42 
Super User

Blade: Barna Original Triumph
FH: Yasaka Rakza PO max.
BH: DMS Störkraft 0.8
http://youtu.be/rNKjxTP-7Ns

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5233

there will be anti/short and long pimple training course in lower austria in july (wiener neudorf) and in august (werner schlager academy) with me as one of the coaches.

july: http://www.ttvwn1947.at/ttvwn1947/index ... 70&clang=0

august: http://www.wsa-tt.com/termine-en/items/ ... -sp36.html