OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 17:44

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2013, 09:48 

Played a Round Robin club tourney the other night and one player I came up lost to me 11-3 on the first game. He then asked me what rubber I use before second game. I told him pips and he practically gave up or at least I Felt he never tried his best anymore. This kid was supposed to be more than "Double my rating".

I'm new to playing LP ( or round robins and tournaments for that matter). I know /read that your supposed to ask about your opponents blade/rubber prior to match. What is the rules/ etiquette for it? Should you disclose if they don't ask? Should you tell them if they ask during the match when games have already been played? What do you guys do if they look with you with disgust after knowing what your playing? IT's like I'm cheating or something.

Fiber Andro Def Blade
FH - Xiom Vega Europe
BH Palio CK531a

Experimental Blade : Victas Koji Matushista Def : TSP Curl P1r LP .6 sponge : Giant Dragon Submarine Chop

My Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=25085

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2013, 11:26 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
LDMovies wrote:
I'm new to playing LP ( or round robins and tournaments for that matter). I know /read that your supposed to ask about your opponents blade/rubber prior to match. What is the rules/ etiquette for it? Should you disclose if they don't ask? Should you tell them if they ask during the match when games have already been played? What do you guys do if they look with you with disgust after knowing what your playing? IT's like I'm cheating or something.

Your opponent is allowed to visually inspect (not touch) your paddle before a match if they wish. You are under no obligation to disclose further information. If points or games have been played before they discover you're using long pips, it's their fault for not inspecting your paddle before the match. Personally, if they don't ask me I don't say anything. If they do ask what I'm using, I tell them.

If they look at you in disgust because you're playing long pips, that's their problem - your long pips are a legal racket covering if included on the current ITTF list.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2013, 11:30 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

welcome to our world
they only have 1 chance in the pre match warm up to look at my bat after that you tell them nothing show them nothing unless you think it will help lol

there are many things that players to to bend the rules or in fact cheat , such as low toss serves, chiped or illregular rubber, serving over the table etc etc, but using legal pimples is not cheating so just feel happy

again don't let their coach touch your bat, don;t let anyone roll a ball on your rubber and once the match starts they can't check
It is a good habit to inspect bats as you neverknow if they have anti or pips without looking also never say things like "oh I hate anti'
have fun

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2013, 13:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
I always approach my opponent with my racket and tell them what I play with and ask about what they have before I start the warm up. When I played with LP I never warmed up with them however.
Why would you not tell your opponent what you are playing with?

No one who plays with any latest generation inverted rubbers (tenergy, bluefire, evolution, etc.) can't ever look with disgust on any other rubber, ever!

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2013, 19:32 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I'm happy to show people I play with long pimples, and let them inspect if they want to. Most people already know though, so they don't bother checking.

mynamenotbob is spot-on about their right to inspect though. :up:

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2013, 03:52 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
Your opponent is allowed to visually inspect (not touch) your paddle before a match if they wish. You are under no obligation to disclose further information. . .

I did not know they canNOT touch my paddle. I've had people touching my LP and one guy I played with in league always rubbed a ball on both my rubbers to get a sense of the friction. Is this bad etiquette on their part? How do I refuse if they try to touch my paddle?

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2013, 04:50 
Super User

Blade: TT Piet Homemade 6 ply
FH: Spinlord Waran Short Pips
BH: Joola Badman Reloaded 0X
I agree there. I really dislike it if people touch my rubber. Each side is expensive, and if they break or crack a pip or get them dirty or greasy, it could ruin my game.

I suppose the best way to phase it would be "you can inspect it if you like, but please don't touch the rubber", and hold it in your hand for them to inspect. I wasn't aware that they weren't allowed to touch it, and from now on won't. Someone almost ruined a $50 sheet of pips on me the other day.

Blade: TTPiet OFF-/ALL custom
FH: Spinlord Waran Short Pips
BH: Joola Badman Reloaded 0X

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2013, 05:03 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Xiom Omega VII Euro
BH: Dornenglanz ox
Like pretty much everybody has mentioned already the etiquette is to answer if they ask, otherwise don't say anything. Personally I always notify my opponent that I'm using LP, I find that a lot of players tend to have the wrong idea on how to play against pips and sometimes it takes them a few ppoints or even a set to realise that. Most of the times they ask though since they notice me using the same rubber to warm up FH and BH.

A word of advise, never touch the ball with the LP during warm up, usually your opponent needs at least a few points to get really accustomed to your LP, this way you will have the upper hand in the beginning a lot of the times.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2013, 09:44 
Super User

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: Joola Dynaryz ZGR
BH: Tibhar Grass DTecS
Hi auzcar

I don't agree with your sentiments about the warm up. I always agree to play some forehand and backhand warmup rallies if requested.I think it is unfair not to. If opponents hate the long pips on my backhand and prefer to play to my forehand I have them where I want them.

You don't have to hit the ball with your pips side in the warmup in the same way you hit it during a match anyway!

Bulldog. :devil:

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2013, 10:53 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Most players who play long pips come up to me and show my the rubber without having a to ask them, although I'll always ask is its any kind of pip or it seems to be anti in the warm up.

More often when I was playing double inverted people would look at my blade at the first change of ends to see what the forehand rubber was. That happens a lot.

Last edited by foam on 24 Nov 2013, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2013, 18:08 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
During warmups almost everyone flips the bat and warms up with inverted on both sides. Even the pros do that.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2013, 19:14 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Xiom Omega VII Euro
BH: Dornenglanz ox
mynamenotbob wrote:
During warmups almost everyone flips the bat and warms up with inverted on both sides. Even the pros do that.

Exactly! Of course I wasn't suggesting that you should refuse to warm up with your opponent, just flip your bat and play regular FH to FH and BH to BH counters.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2013, 21:24 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Also it's a good habit to know your rubbers. You want to know in your head what rubbers are an anti, or semi anti and which pips are slippery and which are not etc. It's good to know those things so you can makes sense of what you are seeing when you look at the rubbers.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2013, 21:36 

As I read these postings, I can't stop the sadness coming to me again. If some of you still remember, I wrote in a posting, about two years ago in this forum, about how a nasty (now I have to add "uncultured") person practically damaged my new rubber. While asking to inspect my set up, he inserted his right hand thumb nail hard into my rubber and run along the whole length. This left a clear scratched crevice on it. Real unsporting guy.

Three months ago, he did the same thing to my lp. I just placed a new Neptune and in the mid of my game with another player, we halted for few seconds to go side bench for wiping sweat. This naughty guy, without my permmission, rushed to the table and inspect my blade. But I know his aim is to do evil thing again. He just tried to pluck few pips off my Neptune. Can anyone believe this!?

If you ask me for the reason of his strange and abnormal action, I only have this to say: I have changed from inverted to LP recently. And this has caused a lot of "disruption" to almost all players in my club, and he is one of them. Among all he showed most dissatisfaction.

I can't do much because he is the "influential" guy in this club. ;(

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2013, 12:55 

Old-Man-Southpaw wrote:
I agree there. I really dislike it if people touch my rubber. Each side is expensive, and if they break or crack a pip or get them dirty or greasy, it could ruin my game.

i have found this :
" When inspecting the opponent's racket before your match, don't touch the rubber on the playing surface (it's okay to touch it at the bottom where the labeling is). Touching the surface transfers the oils on your fingers to the surface and degrades it, so many people will take offense, especially if you touch the middle or sweet spot.
If you can, just look at the rubber, don't rub the surface. There's not much to be gained from feeling the surface anyways. As long as you know whether it's a grippy rubber or an anti-spin, you should be good to go. "

source : http://www.tabletennisdb.com/coachwiki/14-etiquette/

Boys, be ambitious !