OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:13

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2013, 03:00 

I'm a 68 YO recreational player who mainly plays other seniors. Of the 4 best players that I play against, one hits what I call brush loops, more of a topspin drive and occasionally short chops on the BH. Two others are entirely defensive players, standing back 4 or 5 feet and hitting chops from both wings. The 4th is an all around player who mixes up her shots.

The style of play that I seem to do best at is ball placement slight topspin drives to stay in play and attack on FH and block and block chop on BH, with BH attack when possible.

I posted last week in the inverted forum about what I have tried since I started playing about 3 years ago. I started with Yasaka Original Extra 1.5 FH and Yasaka Original 1.0 BH and did reasonably well, but I only played against my wife at home the first 2 1/2 years. I than tried thicker rubbers, like 4 Kings 2.2 and Rapid Soft 2.15, but had trouble with control. At my age and skill level I think that I need to stay at 1.5 or less. I've also used 802 1.5 on and off. I play pretty well with it on the FH, but it seems too fast for me on the BH. I return a lot or fast topspin shots long on BH and net a lot of more spiny chops. I've also tried LP, like 755-2 0.8 and National Pogo 0.6. I've only played with each of those for about an hour at a time, but got disgusted at how many I netted or hit long. It's funny, because my wife started to hit well with both of those after about 2 minutes of play. I also put a 2 year old sheet of Dr Evil BH on my Appelgren Allplay V1 and seem to be playing pretty good with it. However, I have only played it against my wife. I'll see how I do against other players tomorrow.

I now want to try MP on BH. Reading a lot of discussions and some reviews, I've settled on Peacekeeper. I've ordered a sheet of OX and a sheet of 0.6 from Zeropong and it should get here in 2 days. I'm debating which to try first. I plan to initially put it on the Sweden Classic, replacing the 802 1.5. Which sounds like it would work best for my type of play, based on what I have said? I have no idea what my ranking would be. I've watched a U1000 final match on youtube and thought they were better than me. However, my wife and I watched a match with 2 1600 players and she thought that I played at least as good as them, so I have no idea where I stand.

What would be the best bet to try first? I'm thinking the OX if I play fairly well with the Dr Evil tomorrow.

Donic Appelgren Allplay V1 flared Yasaka A-1.2 A-1 Yasaka A-1.2 A-1 123 gm - Wife's alternate.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2013, 04:04 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
SeniorRecPlayer wrote:
The style of play that I seem to do best at is ball placement slight topspin drives to stay in play and attack on FH and block and block chop on BH, with BH attack when possible.

I'd say that OX pips would be perfect for this. With accurate angle you can block and reverse your opponent's spin, and you should be able to flat hit the right balls too.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2013, 13:40 
Hard Justice

SeniorRecPlayer wrote:
I've ordered a sheet of OX and a sheet of 0.6 from Zeropong and it should get here in 2 days. I'm debating which to try first. I plan to initially put it on the Sweden Classic, replacing the 802 1.5. Which sounds like it would work best for my type of play, based on what I have said?

I would most definitely try out the 0.6mm first; going from a 1.5mm sponge to none at all isn't necessarily going to give you an accurate picture of how good it is, but more than likely frustrate you initially. Playing with no sponge is an entirely different technique.

Also, you aren't going to notice a huge difference between short pips and medium pips. You will, however, notice a huge difference between sponge and no sponge. For example, Peacekeeper (in OX) is an approved hardbat rubber, which means that it plays almost identically to many short pips. The sponge is what's going to make the major difference from your 802.

You could also try Peacekeeper OX on both sides; you may actually find that you enjoy playing with a classic paddle :-).

Quote:
I have no idea what my ranking would be. I've watched a U1000 final match on youtube and thought they were better than me. However, my wife and I watched a match with 2 1600 players and she thought that I played at least as good as them, so I have no idea where I stand.

The only way to really find out is by playing in a tournament or playing a decent sampling of players with ratings. I've noticed that oftentimes, players tend to "look" worse than they actually play, and sometimes the opposite is true as well. Sometimes it also "feels" like you are playing better than you actually "look" to a spectator, so your wife (and I'm jealous that she enjoys playing ping pong with you, by the way) might not be getting an accurate picture by playing you.

Anyways, hope that helps.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2013, 04:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
The only way to really find out is by playing in a tournament or playing a decent sampling of players with ratings. I've noticed that oftentimes, players tend to "look" worse than they actually play, and sometimes the opposite is true as well. Sometimes it also "feels" like you are playing better than you actually "look" to a spectator, so your wife (and I'm jealous that she enjoys playing ping pong with you, by the way) might not be getting an accurate picture by playing you.

Anyways, hope that helps.[/quote]

I agree with you. You generally cannot look at most players and tell if they are better or worse than you from watching. You have to play them. I would add that going to your first tournament you need to go and have fun and do your best. Most players lose the majority of their matches and some lose all matches and even some lose all games. But you never know till you try.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2013, 08:24 

Thanks for the comments. I don't intend to enter any tournaments, but we do have a small club in town that meets once a week to play. It has 25 members ranked from 706 to 1517, with another estimated to be about 1600. Where I used to live they have a larger club with 79 members ranked between 150 and 2201, but it's 250 miles away now. I wasn't playing TT when I lived there and they may not have had a club back then. I've thought about going to the local club, but was a bit afraid that I'd be outplayed by everybody. Oh well, so what.

I played today with the Allplay with 802 1.5 FH and Dr Evil BH. I think I did somewhat better than before, so I'm going to put Peacekeeper 0.6 on the Sweden Classic, with the 802 1.5 FH. I might change the Dr Evil to PK OX on the Allplay when it arrives. I'll try to be patient and play those for the next couple of months to see if I'm going to stick with pips out. I'll also try the black PK's FH to see if I might like that better than 802.

Edit: By the way, my wife played well with the Sweeper. She just has a natural hang of the LP, at least at our level.

Donic Appelgren Allplay V1 flared Yasaka A-1.2 A-1 Yasaka A-1.2 A-1 123 gm - Wife's alternate.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2013, 05:08 
Hard Justice

SeniorRecPlayer wrote:
I've thought about going to the local club, but was a bit afraid that I'd be outplayed by everybody. Oh well, so what.

Go with the "oh well, so what" attitude and make a visit to the club. There will most likely be elitists there who only want to play with certain people, but I'm sure there will be people who are more than willing to play you. You'll also get a much more accurate assessment of your level and be exposed to more styles of play.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2013, 07:37 

I played for 2 1/2 hours today at the senior center against 4 different people. I used the Sweden Classic almost all the time. I lost to the one guy who is a chopper with scores like 11-9. I beat the guy who hits topspin drives almost all the time 2-1. We then just hit for about 1/2 hour. I used my wife's Sweeper for about 15 minutes and the CTT National Pogo 0.6 gave him a lot more trouble than the Peacekeeper 0.6 on my Sweden Classic. He would hit a topspin drive to my BH, I would block and then he would net the next shot. Sometimes he would get it back a couple of times, but he eventually netted one. The PK 0.6 is a lot faster than the Pogo 0.6. I often blocked long with it, but I did win 2 of 3 games against him with it. He's the only player that I have done well against using the Pogo. I tend to miss a lot of shots against the choppers when I have played them the last couple of weeks with the Sweeper. I might replace the Dr Evil on the Allplay with the sheet of PK OX that I got and see how I do with it. I'm thinking that I will settle on either the PK OX or 0.6 and continue with the 802 1.5 FH. I tried the PK 0.6 FH and that didn't work very well at all. Seeing me try the Pogo FH would have been quite humorous. I missed nearly everything, but I only tried it for a couple of minutes.