OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:12

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2014, 15:16 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

As some of you all know I went to the Butterfly Aurora Cup this past weekend. Entered 4 groups and played MY ASS OFF!!!! :rock: I won 1st place in the U-1800 and placed 2nd in the U-1900. My win/loss record was 16 wins and 3 losses. Just got home after a 6 1/2 hour drive because of the weather. I'm tired. I'm off work tomorrow so I will be sleeping in. I will post more when I get up.

USATT Rating: 1869

MOLON LABE!!!

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2014, 15:57 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Congrats Joe and I know you felt so good! Enjoy your win!

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2014, 16:13 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Well done Joe! Sounds like you found your TT mo-jo again.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2014, 16:16 
Super User

Blade: TT Piet Homemade 6 ply
FH: Spinlord Waran Short Pips
BH: Joola Badman Reloaded 0X
Ahhhh, you were one of the people I was told to "be on the look out" for :)

I was going to play but had to withdraw due to arm elbow and tendon pain.

Congrats on a great showing!

Blade: TTPiet OFF-/ALL custom

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2014, 16:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Wow, 16-3 is quite a record! CONGRATS ON THE GREAT PLAY!

Joe, what were the strong points of your play that weekend?

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2014, 22:43 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate
FH: DrN Dominance Spin Hard
BH: DrN Troublemaker 0.5
Hey Joe, it was great meeting you at the tournament. Congrats on a job well done! I saw you chopping like an animal against a 2200+ dude yesterday. :rock: I would have liked to watch you play a little more but was quite busy myself though my record wasn't as good as yours. :swear:

Cheers,
Matt

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2014, 01:52 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

I'm not going to go into detail about each of the games. Too many to remember. I will say this about the venue. A defenders dream :up: . Soft floors, nice Butterfly tables, and plenty of room. I had no trouble seeing the ball as we had blue floors, blue barriers, blue tables, and white balls. Very easy to see. The schedule was pretty much on time. The only thing I could complain about would be the lack of seating. Had some fold out chairs but not many. There were some benches but people were using them to put their bags on.

The biggest thing I liked about this venue was the court size. :up: :up: . Being a defender it is very hard to find a venue that has enough room. Sometimes I am bouncing off the walls or the barriers. There are two tourneys that I try to go to every year. They set it up with 3 rows of tables. The middle courts have more than enough room but the outside courts are... well, smaller than regulation court size. And it seems like I never get to play on the center courts. The club that runs both tourneys are great people and I love supporting their club. But sometimes I feel like I'm just throwing my money away. I might just send them an email and see what they say.

Glen. I think what was working the best for me was my BH chop. With a soft floor the ball was kinda slow. Not OMG slow but slow enough that I could chop back (for the most part) even the hardest smash. My 3 losses were all tight. I didnt get blown out in any of my losses. My 2nd place in the U-1900 was a 11-8 loss in the 5th to a guy that was about 100 point higher than me.

Matt. It was very nice to meet you as well. I wish I could have had a hit with you but the time just wasn't there. Cya next time.

Overall I had a great weekend. Saw old friends, made up with some not so friends. I will be back next year. And I will advise any defenders to do the same.

MOLON LABE!!!

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2014, 02:43 
Super User

Yes, nothing like tripping on the legs of the barriers because there is no room. It gets dangerous playing in places like that, no matter how nice the people are. I don't know about you, but I don't seem to think about it until I trip over one or find myself hugging a wall. Anymore, I pace off the distance behind the table if it looks at all tight.

Hopefully I'll make it there next year. I couldn't have played well with the arm, and can't afford to burn my one tournament per year budget of TT money to lose points because I'm hurting. I'll survive to play again another day, I hope.

Did you see the video links I posted? I didn't notice you in any though. I think it was table #2 they had streaming, and on sunday it died at about 2 pm.

BTW, how did you beat the blocker in the u1800 finals? He has a very odd style. I've never played him, though.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2014, 03:07 
Hard Justice

GrumpyJoe wrote:
The club that runs both tourneys are great people and I love supporting their club. But sometimes I feel like I'm just throwing my money away. I might just send them an email and see what they say.

They are definitely nice people; I remember in one of their non-USATT tournaments, he moved the groups around so I could play someone I was itching to have a match with during the tourney. Was this tournament expensive, hence the money comment?

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2014, 04:03 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

The blocker I played in the final (btw it was at 10:00 at night) didn't move all that well. His BH loop was not all that fast but was very spinny. Surprised me in the first game. Got a lot of my points from he would loop to my BH, I would chop deep to his middle/FH (right pocket) he would bunt, I would LP push hard to his deep BH. Or I would just chop him down. There were a few points were he had me pinned to my FH side and I would do kind of a inside/out to his BH corner down the line. He couldn't move very well. The final score was -8,8,5,5.

Abdulmuhsee. The money I'm talking about is the hotel, gas and food. The tourney fees is really no more than any other tourney.

MOLON LABE!!!

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2014, 04:23 
Super User

Yes, I've watched him a few times and he does real well considering that he moves so little. Yes, by 10 pm I'd expect he'd be having even more trouble moving (being old and out of shape myself).

From watching him those times, I was thinking he'd have problems with quick wide pips balls and chops that land near the back, which might force him to backup, and make him vulnerable at the corners as a result.

I haven't ever had the chance to play him. He is probably a hundred points or more above me.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2014, 06:09 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate
FH: DrN Dominance Spin Hard
BH: DrN Troublemaker 0.5
I played that blocker in the U-1900 final of the Aurora Fall tournament and won easily; it was already past 9pm as well and he had made it deep into another event too so by the time I got him he was quite tired and moved even less than he already does. I looped or pushed him in the corners. If you loop into his strike zone he is really good though and he used to be a solid 1900+ guy when he was able to loop better. Real nice guy too!

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2014, 06:57 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Great work Grumpy, saw the FB pic !

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2014, 01:22 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

One thing that really surprised me was the lack of Jr's. I saw some but not nearly the amount I would see at some tourneys. Maybe they were there, I just didn't play any.

MOLON LABE!!!

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2014, 01:29 
Super User

No, you are correct.

If you looked at the event registration from the beginning, there weren't many signing up in the jr class and I think they reallocated tables and player slots to the other events in the same time slot. Maybe it being in Chicago in the winter, being that the kids have to get someone else to drive them there and back, was a factor.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!