OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 19:31

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2014, 14:17 

I'm not bad at table tennis. It's my favorite sport and has been for a few years now. I practice every day and can beat anybody I play. I need some real competition. Any suggestions for finding a tournament? Thanks!!! Image

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2014, 14:43 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Amazing. You can beat anybody you play but have never been in a tournement? You are going to give table tennis tips and advice? Where do you live? on an island?
Tell me what country you live in and I will get you to a tournement. (but I would not plan on winning) :lol:

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2014, 15:16 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Oh I miss Cecil the great. You can have a hit with him and show him who's the boss.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2014, 15:16 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Find the local table tennis club in your area and pay them a visit. After you play against some of the experienced players at your club, you'll get an idea of how good you are.

You'll probably want to sign up for lessons.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2014, 16:40 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Judging from his clips blackdog appears to be an enthusiastic kid. He's no Cecil. Knowing where he is from would help in suggesting tournaments though.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2014, 22:37 

@carbonman I'm not just an enthusiastic kid! I actually hold the world record for most consecutive volleys on a folded table tennis table. Check it out! http://youtu.be/2EI5t_Nu6UU

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2014, 22:53 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Yes I saw - good job. Your grip has me concerned though.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2014, 00:48 
Super User

Blade: TT Piet Homemade 6 ply
FH: Spinlord Waran Short Pips
BH: Joola Badman Reloaded 0X
Not that I am any authority on the subject, but I was once a kid like you that liked to play A LOT and even though I'm not a good coach like some of the people that already responded to you, I'll throw out a few suggestions...

Try looking for a club or places where there are tables people play at near you. You could use google to search. If in the USA check the USATT website, too. Once you find some people, you can ask them if they know of other places to play nearby. Many local tables aren't listed on the web.

Can you get to a table tennis camp? Maybe a 3 day camp or a 1 week camp or an every weekend thing or a summer program?

There is always someone better, I've learned. But don't let that bother you. Try to learn new things from each person you play. Try to get someplace to play other people as many times a week as possible, and try to identify the best players whose styles you'd like to emulate, and work on getting shots reliable. If you don't have a good paddle, maybe ask a good player if they have an old good one they can give you or sell you cheap with decent rubber on it, and see if you can get some pointers from them how they do some of the shots they do that you like.

If you plan on making it to the olympics, I would suggest you should be playing at least 20 hrs per week with other good players. Maybe I should have said 40 hrs per week. Anyway, as much as possible is what its going to take. A good coach would save many many hours of wasted effort and would likely make the difference between getting there or not, I think.

Blade: TTPiet OFF-/ALL custom
FH: Spinlord Waran Short Pips
BH: Joola Badman Reloaded 0X

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!