OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 21:00

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2014, 05:45 

I've mostly chopped both FH And BH and wait for opponent to make mistake. I been successful in that most higher level players I play ( 1000-1300) are not comfortable with it as much as they are with topspin rallies which they do all day.

Recently I've tried to overcome one of my weaknesses and become a modern defender. High lobs to my BH or pop ups due to my Pips were always tempting to drive and it always ended up in the net. Ive worked hard on it and now can safely (consistent enough for me) to drive /loop. I even get around on my BH to do a FH loop/smash. Problem I now encounter is that players with good blocks now just block it back to vacated FH side or my FH loops/drives are easier for them to loop back and it comes back faster. If it becomes a topspin rally I would lose. In Addition, I 'm a bit out of position to move back and get a decent chop again either from FH or BH since the rallies got much faster and I dont have time to move back to my comfy/preferred position.

Should I just stay back (3-6 ft away) and chop all day and work on that consistency?

Experimental Blade : Victas Koji Matushista Def : TSP Curl P1r LP .6 sponge : Giant Dragon Submarine Chop

My Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=25085

Last edited by LDMovies on 07 Feb 2014, 03:16, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2014, 23:49 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
It is always hard to say. I can't tell how long you have played. If you are a relative new player or do not have consistent strokes I think working on one thing at a time and developing it is a good idea. Work on your chopping till it is excellent. If you are an experienced player and have all the strokes the answer to the question "when to stop chopping?" is based more on your opponent than on you. You have to find what wins the points. Against some steady opponents you have to initiate the attack earlier. Against others it is better to keep chopping. Figuring out the strategy against a new opponent is always fun.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2014, 01:24 
Super User

Blade: TT Piet Homemade 6 ply
FH: Spinlord Waran Short Pips
BH: Joola Badman Reloaded 0X
I have people that block my rare smashes, too. Its very frustrating.

I try to hit the ball where they aren't waiting for it and make them move to get every ball if I can. I try not to clue them where the ball is going so they can't get there ahead of time, or sometimes I intentionally do clue them early so they start moving there, then quickly hit it to the other side. I also try to land near the back of the table and vay my spins so its not so easy to block.

Blade: TTPiet OFF-/ALL custom

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014, 20:30 

I think you should be able to play both. That makes you more dangerous.

Maybe it is a question of placement with your topspin. It is easy to block a topspin that is played directly to the opponent's racket.
Try to start with cross topspins from FH to FH because this is the easiest. Why moving around on BH side and try a difficult topspin stroke? People will also push to FH or middle and that is easier for you. So you should start learning to play with a good angle. Not just to forehand but to wide forehand where your opponent has to move to.

Your aim should be that your attack is a point, but this is not only done by speed. You can also use rotation and placement for a successful attack.

Coach at WSA and modern defender.
Racket:
BTY T05 (2,1mm) - BTY Joo Se Hyuk, straight - TSP Curl P4 (1,5)

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2014, 09:07 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
What is the reason why it is returned to you very easy? Maybe your opening loop is predictable and not fast enough. Don't stop looping and try harder. Placement of shot is a big factor.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2014, 17:39 

Try some active strokes while defending, a FH sidespin should work for the block problem.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2014, 03:24 
Super User

OP: "I even get around on my BH to do a FH loop/smash. Problem I now encounter is that players with good blocks now just block it back to vacated FH side"

OMS: "I try to hit the ball where they aren't waiting for it"

Fab: "Your aim should be that your attack is a point, but this is not only done by speed. You can also use rotation and placement for a successful attack".

I think this is a common concern.
I play with opponents that will viciously smash back 50% of my hardest hit smashes if I hit them relatively close to their FH.
Obviously hitting the table is the primary objective....but I've been forced to play angles....and even then many of my opponents fish/lob those back.
So I decided....stupidly or not...that whenever possible I'd try to get around any ball smashworthy that's hit to my BH side of the center line and smash wide to opponents BH. It's been great fun, fairly effective and in doing so my footwork has improved tremendously.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2014, 05:28 

treetop wrote:
OP: "I even get around on my BH to do a FH loop/smash. Problem I now encounter is that players with good blocks now just block it back to vacated FH side"

So I decided....stupidly or not...that whenever possible I'd try to get around any ball smashworthy that's hit to my BH side of the center line and smash wide to opponents BH. It's been great fun, fairly effective and in doing so my footwork has improved tremendously.

This has been my experience too. I could not smash reliably or quickly with LP on BH side. I also read suggestions that one should smash with FH rather than BH. In fact all the videos of "pros" are them getting around to smash with FH side. USed to be a weakness of mine that people would jsut lob or if I get the desired pop up from a dead/knuckle ball from my pips I would rush over from 3-6 ft away and smash into the net. Now I have gotten better with footwork and can reliably smash/ top spin with forehand. Most of the time though, opponents try to put it to my BH side. I've gotten fairly consistent getting around to it and topspin /loop it back. Problem is a counter/block to vacated FH side. Sometimes it's too quick or I do get around to recovering but it's becomes a consistent FH/loop game which is not my forte as fame goes too fast for my taste. Usually would lose this point if it goes longer. Everyone at the club I play has quicker reflexes and/or practices these quick/fast topspin rallies all day long from FH and BH. They undeniably will be better than me once pace quickens up. Now I'll play with anyone in a pushing rally all day long or just chop back from a bit back topspins/loops to my FH or BH . Its those tempting pop-ups or lobs that always gets me in trouble. I feel I have to put it away. Hence the question when should I stop chopping.

I'm trying/learning new strategy with my new pips. Other LP I used before could not grip the ball and do a topspin return. LP talon is gripper for me and I'm basically returning/light topspin most underspin balls to the BH but still staying back ( about 2-3 ft) this gives me enough time to step back to my comfy range of 3-5 ft to chop back the most likely topspin return to my BH or FH. Most of the time now, I'm getting a few errors from opponents just from the variation of spin or misreading of spin as I've normally just chopped or push back any underspins balls to my BH before with my LP or FH kill any pop ups.

Experimental Blade : Victas Koji Matushista Def : TSP Curl P1r LP .6 sponge : Giant Dragon Submarine Chop

My Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=25085

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2014, 06:37 
Super User

In my limited experience I've found that as I play players closer to the 18-19-2000 range LP are only as effective as my FH.

I'm really not sure how someone can simply block (or chop) and progress without a FH. I know it's been done...but I have to believe these players are outliers.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2014, 06:39 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Speaking as a defender, when the ball stops coming back? :)

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2014, 06:47 
Super User

Blade: TT Piet Homemade 6 ply
If the popup is underspin, its safer to attack it with the pips side. If its topspin, I try to attack it with the inverted. If my opponent starts backing up deep before I hit it, I try to drop it in, off the side if possible, usually with the pips

Blade: TTPiet OFF-/ALL custom

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2014, 02:40 
Super User

Try the mostly side spin loop not just adding some side spin to your topspin loop. I use this when I feel myself being overpowered. If nothing else it breaks their rythm.

Ian

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2014, 04:49 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

You can play any way you want at club level. I can play pure defence, pure loop or pure retriever and it really makes no difference in the score against any one person. Don't worry too much about that, just play how you want. I went for years being a long range retriever just because it was fun, the experience still comes in handy now for when I find someone who doesn't like that.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2015, 12:37 

really good question

and i have a really good answer:

choose what you want

if you choose classic defens go youtube and search: evengi chetinyin table tennis

if you choose modern defense: joo se hyuk

check them what hes doing what situation.