OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 17:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: My Table Tennis Journey
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2014, 04:23 

I wish I started this blog when I first started but better late than never.

Started playing in July 6, 2013. Walked into a TT club thats only 5 mins away from my home that I pass by every day. What made me finally decide was I 've been tying my shoes and had to suck my guy in for a minute or son and hold my breath. Was always out of breath and decided enough is enough. Every year, I make this resolution to join the gym and pay 2 months membership every January while quitting 2 weeks in. ARGHHHHH

Now I played ping pong for fun as a kid but stopped around age 10 when I discovered billiards and bowling. I was fairly good as an 8-10 year old but that was nearly 4 decades ago!.

1st week to a month was rough. I discovered (or so been told) my technique is old school. With technology, it's evolved to an attacking game and you use the rubbers to maximize its effect. Anyways I took a few group classes in the beginning but I felt it was too soon and a waste as I give up too quick as I'm so out of shape I would die after 5-10 minutes. bought my 1st blade and rubber at the time. a Joola Flame Extreme with a couple of Butterfly Roundell Soft's.

Initially made it a goal just to stay in shape. Borrowed my son's Nike Fuel band and found I Average about 250-300 calories an hour playing. Also kept track of caloric intake. Did fairly well as I dropped 10 lbs in 2 mos and even went down 19 lbs in 4 months. Have since stopped tracking daily as I've been lazy and I was more concerned with stamina and health issues. I' love to eat but with playing I plateaued and weight has hovered for past 3 mos just 10 lbs from where I originally started. However blood sugar has dropped from 218 to 160, cholesterol has gone wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy down , and other tests have gone close to normal from their elevated highs.

Oh I didnt mention it yet, but I got addicted to table tennis. I play Every day ... Yes... Every Single day , or at least those days that end with a "Y" playing around 3 hours a day. I may miss a day or 2 in a month.

Getting to progress: I initially tried to do play the attacking game and do how everyone does it at the club. Seemed too fast for my reflexes. Been playing in a bi-monthly round robin tourney at the club and learning from playing better players. Entered 1st tourney in Sept ( 3 mos after I Started) Lost all 6 matches U800 and U1000 and ended up with 403 rating.

Woke up one day ( still dont know why I got the revelation) and felt I had a defender's mentality. I dont really away putting away shots, I enjoy the surprise people have when you block a shot and return a smash they havent been expecting. Wanted to chop away from the table. Was discouraged by most knowledgeable people in the club as they explained at my age and stamina, playing away from the table, I get moved around and I would have to move more putting me into a disadvantage. Would'nt move up as much in ratings as its an attackers' game nowadays. Decided, I really need to get in shape and the purpose of playing was to get in shape. So defending would force me to move around. took the plunge and changed my game. Hours on the robot and just playing and trying to gauge /read spin and speed. Was rough for a month until I decided to change to LP after a couple of weeks or sometime in Nov.

Something suddenly clicked around Christmas time. We were off the whole week at worked so spent more time at the club in the daytime. Wife was at work so I could spend even 5-6 hrs during Xmas week every day . I found myself getting lucky sometimes and holding my own playing 1200 and 1300 players. People I always lose to, I suddenly was going 5 games and winning an occasional match. Was very happy. Fortunately a tournament was coming up early February to test my new skills.

Mid January comes along and I enter the usual U800 and U1000. Did very well and only lost to an Unrated player ( who ended up 1008 ). Won U800 but unfortunately lost 3-0 on semi-final of the U1000 to the same person I beat 3-1 on U800. Inexperience was my enemy here. there was a 1hr difference between last match I had and the playoff and back stiffened up. I normally play continuously so it's never been a problem . NExt time I need to keep warm or keep stretching. Moved up to 795 from This tourney where I currently am. Best win at tourney was a 955 player.

Found another major tourney a week later within 30 miles and entered U1100 and U1300. Was afraid it was bit too high but wanted to test my game from different players . Last tourney was at my club which majority of the players I've already played and familiar with their game and vice versa. Did surprisingly well and went to semi-finals on both events going 2-1 on both RR. Won both 1st round matchups but lost to the same person TWICE in semi-finals. She ended up 1st place and 2nd place on the events. Best win was an 1152 player and about 3 900+ players. Tourney is a little slow submitting so ratings havent been reflected yet. I expect to be around 1000 after this round but hope I stay under 1000 so I can be eligible for more events. MY biggest fear is getting rated 1001.

Now all this time I was using and Andro Fiber Comp def blade with a Xiom VEga Europe FH and a Palio CK531a LP. For thge longest time I had a nagging feeling there's got to be better. I've sort of turned into an Equipment junky . I bought a Victas Koji MAtsushista and Put a TSP Curl P1r and a TSP curl P4 pared with the xiom. Got another spare Andro Fiber comp to test Giant dragon Talon OX and .9 sponge and a Feint Long II and test a Gambler Reflectoid and a Giant Dragon Submarine and a Tackiness Chop. I been losing on the round robin's 3-0 to people I've always beat. But I committed to a change and feel like Giant Dragon Talon would be my LP of choice for now. I just need to get used to it and learn its capabilities. I even gave away my only Palio CK531a sponge that I've been playing with. I'm giving it 3 months or until March 23. I have a tourney I entered March 22 which would give me a better idea if I at least get back to my level of comfort with this pips.

Experimental Blade : Victas Koji Matushista Def : TSP Curl P1r LP .6 sponge : Giant Dragon Submarine Chop

My Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=25085

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2014, 06:36 
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Good start, LD. It is much easier committing to a fitness regime that you actually enjoy doing. Being a long range defender should help you keep up the exercise, plus, as you seem to have the defensive mindset, you will not mind doing it. Keep us updated with your discoveries, improvements and enjoyment. Try not to concentrate on your rating too much if you like what you are doing.

For what it is worth, I was told many years ago I would never play in the top local league unless I developed a smash. Guess what? I played at that level for a number of years without really needing one.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2014, 08:53 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
It is always heart warming to read that table tennis helped you in becoming a healthy person and enjoy doing it.
Good luck on your progress. I'll be subscribing to your blog LD :up:

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2014, 10:00 

LDMovies wrote:
Oh I didnt mention it yet, but I got addicted to table tennis.

Just like any addiction, it gets expensive. Through no fault of my own, I became an equipment junky.

I now have TWO (2) Andro Fibercomp Def blades. My main setup is a Giant Dragon Talon LP with Xiom Vega Europe. I am now using the other blade to experiment with. That means I have to have at least Two of each (Talon and Xiom) . I currently have the Talon on the other blade paired with a Giant Dragon Submarine Chop. Did not like it.

I just ordered TWO Xiom Vega Elite's to replace my Xiom Vega Europe. Mine will probably wear out by March or April so I need to replace it anyways. Will experiment on the Elite as it's supposedly softer but slower with a bit more control than my current setup.

Just going through my bag, I find

Palio CK531 Black & Red, both OX
Giant Dragon Talon .9 sponge, red & black
Giant Dragon Talon OX Red
TSP Curl P1r Red 1mm
TSP curl P4 Red 1mm
Butterfly Feint Long II 1 mm Red
Butterfly Tackiness Chop Black
Giant Dragon Submarine Chop Black and Red
Gambler Reflectoid
Butterfly Super Anti ( Just for playing around/fun)
Dr Evil SP OX ( Just for playing around/fun)

For blades I have
Matsushista Defense pro
Victas Koji Matsushista Def
Giant Dragon Imagine Oversized
Joola Flame Extreme

I just ordered new Joola shoes. My current one just plain worn out as tread is completely gone one part of one shoe. I hope I dont get in habit of trying out different shoes as THAT is expensive.

I hope I find an intervention group or a Table Tennis Anonymous.

Now my Wife better not be visiting this site ... or she's gonna kill me.

Experimental Blade : Victas Koji Matushista Def : TSP Curl P1r LP .6 sponge : Giant Dragon Submarine Chop

My Blog

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2014, 03:06 

Ok .... Im not a man of my word. I told myself I would give the Giant Dragon Talon LP a chance. I really like all the research I've done. Lots of people are happy with it and getting great results , from people with similar to the game I aspire to. I like the variety of shots I can now make with it which I couldn't do before.

I played this 1300 girl I always give a hard time .. 5 games that could always go either way. There's this 800 player I always beat that also now beats me 3-0. With Palio I Was limited to just chopping and pushing. I think I get more deception on it just because they misread the amount of spin or I get spin reversal (cant really tell what I gave them) I know if I hit it right I give really heavy backspin but that's if ball really gets to sink into the pips. Most of the time they have to hit a fast drive or fast/hard loop for me to get this and I Can really hear it with the palio when it does.

It's been only 2 weeks of playing with it but I'm afraid I'm getting second thoughts. I just ordered a Black & Red Palio CK531a .6 mm sponge and a red 1mm sponge. In addition, since I was ordering anyways, ordered a black and red DHS huricane 3, a Butterlfy Sriver max black just because it's on sale, and a Palio Hidden Dragon since I liked the way the name sounded. ITs coming air post from Hong Kong so hopefully gives me another week to acclimate myself to the Talon.

What can I say .... I'm weak.

Forgive me.

My Blog

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2014, 06:26 

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
As penance, you should find the new rubber called Practisemore, as mentioned in another thread here, and stick with that. Guaranteed cure for EJism.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2014, 09:33 

Retriever wrote:
As penance, you should find the new rubber called Practisemore, as mentioned in another thread here, and stick with that. Guaranteed cure for EJism.

I'm already using Practisemore .... 3hrs a day ... everyday ... Doesnt matter if it's Thanksgiving, Xmas, or New year or superbowl (Yes I was at club playing during those days) .. I'm there since club was open during those days too. Other than the owner, no one spends more time at the club ..not even his other part time worker (and he works there!).

I'ld use Practisemore more often but there's this thing called work that gets in the way ... That and drive time and sleep .

My Blog

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2014, 10:51 

LDMovies wrote:
I'm already using Practisemore .... 3hrs a day ... everyday ... Doesnt matter if it's Thanksgiving, Xmas, or New year or superbowl (Yes I was at club playing during those days) .. I'm there since club was open during those days too. Other than the owner, no one spends more time at the club ..not even his other part time worker (and he works there!).

I'ld use Practisemore more often but there's this thing called work that gets in the way ... That and drive time and sleep .

I can't believe I'm about to say this but...
You might want to try the newest rubber "Practiceless" or else get paid as an employee while you are there!

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2014, 14:23 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

I enjoyed reading your blog LD. I love your enthusiasm and think it is great that your health is also benefitting from TT. In regards to trying all this equipment can I respectfully suggest that you are putting the cart before the horse. As you havent been playing for that long your game would still be developing and as such a set-up which may suit you today may well not suit you a little way down the track. Better to focus on doing drills, establishing a reasonably mature style, and only then try out which equipments suits your game. btw - are you currently getting any coaching?

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2014, 02:52 

Crazy Goat wrote:
LDMovies wrote:

I can't believe I'm about to say this but...
You might want to try the newest rubber "Practiceless" or else get paid as an employee while you are there!

Didnt see this in time since it was after work Tuesday.

Anyways.... took the day off yesterday so I can do this Practisemore . Went in early at 9 am-12. I was very fortunate as this old guy with short pips on both sides, basically hard bat looking to play someone. He was Very Very good. I suspect around 1800-2000 level and a left hander to boot! got into a groove of him looping/smashing to my Bh. I never imagined SP can give as much spin as some I got from his shots, even had a little side spin. In all honesty. His topsin is even more pronounced than some inverted rubbr players i Normally play against. What made it great was the consistency.I think I couldnt appreciate or learn my new pips because I couldnt rally with anyone consistently to my BH so noever got a chance to "Break them in" Feel much more confident and learned to adjust my strokes a bit. Got to hit my BH chops from 5-8 ft away with consistency. Few pointers I got was to get lower, squat or sit and go sideways a bit more. Once I did this, the Talon really shined specially with such an active stroke follow through. I Got comments from my playing partner I was getting really heavy spin I Was getting. I mainly was happy I could work and tweak on my stroke with consistency. Even was able to adjust it where I Can place it deep as I was mostly getting it just over the net ( not good) Most opponents ( at least the ones I Faced) have a higher margin for error from high and deep chops .

Got my TWO Xiom Vega Elite's in the mail today. Also received email that my Palio orders been mailed. I might Just give these TALON some more leeway.

Went back to the club from 6-8 PM .. Couldnt last till my usual 9 PM just too dead tired. I thought I 'ld be OK after taking an hour nap in the middle of the afternoon.
SPent some time with the robot and my TALON pushes and chops from BH were more consistent. EVen did some variation and alternate chop/counterhit from LP BH around 3-5 ft away.

Regarding Coaching: I've participated in about 9 Group classes since I started 8 months ago. 4 of them the past month. Just too expensive for me to pay regularly for private classes ( about $60/hr) I spend so much time at the club, I surreptitiously listen in during a lot of private one on one coaching and pick up pointers from there. Sometimes, I Feel I'm listening more attentively to the coach, than the student of the lesson. I also record myself from time to time to work on strokes and correct myself. Also try to baseline my progress against 5 other players in the club. A 1200 player that takes 2 private classes a week, an 800 player ( was much better than me when I Started) who takes weekly lessons and group classes every week. a kid that takes Private and group classes , and Another that takes 2-3 private classes a week . Except for the 1200 player, I beat everyone now consistently. They've improved themselves but not as much as I have. The 1200 player I've lucked out once and beat him in a match and now go 5 or 4 games against him most times. Each game is usually competitive going 8 or 9 points or duece. IT's how I am comparing my New pips now from the people I normally beat and now I'm getting beat. Hoping to acclimate to the pips soon before I become too impatient.

My Blog

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2014, 00:52 

Got my LAtest rating update Last night. The Open I entered around mid JAn jsut got their tourney report in. Went up from 795 to 1048. Mixed feelings. Now I can't even enter U1000 events anymore. I Would have been happy with a 995 rating.

My Blog

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2014, 04:01 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
LDM, you could always shoot to be the ringer in U1900 for a while... :)

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2014, 08:58 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

LDMovies wrote:
Got my TWO Xiom Vega Elite's in the mail today. Also received email that my Palio orders been mailed.

Regarding Coaching: I've participated in about 9 Group classes since I started 8 months ago. 4 of them the past month. Just too expensive for me to pay regularly for private classes ( about $60/hr)

At this early stage, perhaps it would be better to spend your equipment money on coaching? Hopefully you could find a coach with a cheaper hourly rate. What club are you at?

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2014, 10:27 

Debating entering the same tournament I played from Last month. I think it's too soon since I'm still breaking in my new pips.

Anyways looking over results and analyzing and mulling over questions. Here's my wins and loses and rating of opponent and scores. At the time, my rating was 795. I've moved up to 1048 going 6-4 in the tourney . For ego purposes, I have only listed my wins.

Wins
Under 1100 Rr (921) 5 ,9 ,5
Under 1100 Rr (962) 3 ,-4 ,-9 ,9 ,5
Under 1100 Se-quarters (843)-13 ,-11 ,8 ,8 ,9
Under 1300 Rr (717) -7 ,7 ,6 ,9
Under 1300 Rr (977) -4 ,5 ,-7 ,7 ,9
Under 1300 Se-quarters (1152)-5 ,6 ,13 ,4

I notice I lose a lot of my 1st games or even going down 2-0 or 2-1. Then I buckle down and catch up. I remember I was dead tired by the end of the day since I Was playing a lot of games and going the distance/deuce on most games.

Begs the question, am I a slow starter or play too tight at the beginning? or is it a good thing and I show that I can close and rally from behind without giving up? Of course I'ld rather win 3-0 or go 3-1 and not have so many nail biting pressure games. At the very least I would like to start strong. I know I'm a beginner with not much on the line, but for me they are nail biting.

My Blog

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2014, 10:32 
Hard Justice

Based on your username, we will be expecting some videos at some point, LDMovies!