OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:29

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2014, 12:37 

Dear OOAK-Members,

I´m working on a study for aficionados like yourself. It´s about the aesthetics of names of Antitops and Long Pimples – a comparing analysis and interpretation of about 100 names (including the cover designs). The supplier´s intentions will be regarded as well. Some of them like Dr. Neubauer, Spinlord, Der Materialspezialist or Sauer&Tröger have already answered my questions. Last but not least I want to consider the tester´s and buyer´s opinion. Therefore I wish you to take part in this survey. I will list my questions in the following. It would be great, if you would answer them shortly by keeping the numeration. You can explain your answers and you can also answer only some of the questions.

1.) Does the name of an Antitop or of a Long Pimple have any influence on your decision to test or buy the covering?

2.) Given there are two or more similar coverings (replaceability), does the name have any influence on your decision, what covering you will play in the end? (This question is about your need for identification with the covering.)

3.) What existing name or names of Antitops and Long Pimples do you like most?

4.) How would you like to call an Antitop or a Long Pimple? / What fictitious name or names would you like?

Thanks a lot for your participation. By the way, I can assure you, that this is not about market research for any supplier. I´m doing it on my own and maybe for the pleasure of some readers.

Cheers

Oliver
(Berlin, Germany)

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2014, 13:23 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
1.) Does the name of an Antitop or of a Long Pimple have any influence on your decision to test or buy the covering?

No. I need more information than that.

2.) Given there are two or more similar coverings (replaceability), does the name have any influence on your decision, what covering you will play in the end? (This question is about your need for identification with the covering.)

I choose the rubber that I play best with, Grass D.TecS, which has maybe the worst name ever. Except for Palio CK531A.

Crop Circles, LSD, Frustration, Flutter, Phantom, Zeitgeist

4.) How would you like to call an Antitop or a Long Pimple? / What fictitious name or names would you like?

Sharara Killer comes to mind

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2014, 21:33 
Super User

I don't play with pips at all. Just my opinion this is a pretty bizarre topic for a survey but I guess people are running out of things to research and survey and scientists would like to see their plaque on a building :rofl: Oh nevermind that.

I think the names of the rubber are just there to sound cool and entice you to try. The mysterious names make the rubbers sound really good. The names try to associate what the rubber is good at for the majority of the time. For Example Friendship's Dr Evil short pips is just evil and should not be bought.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2014, 05:31 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
smash-and-trash wrote:
Dear OOAK-Members,

I´m working on a study for aficionados like yourself. It´s about the aesthetics of names of Antitops and Long Pimples – a comparing analysis and interpretation of about 100 names (including the cover designs). The supplier´s intentions will be regarded as well. Some of them like Dr. Neubauer, Spinlord, Der Materialspezialist or Sauer&Tröger have already answered my questions. Last but not least I want to consider the tester´s and buyer´s opinion. Therefore I wish you to take part in this survey. I will list my questions in the following. It would be great, if you would answer them shortly by keeping the numeration. You can explain your answers and you can also answer only some of the questions.

Thanks a lot for your participation. By the way, I can assure you, that this is not about market research for any supplier. I´m doing it on my own and maybe for the pleasure of some readers.

Cheers

Oliver
(Berlin, Germany)

1. No, not at all. Reviews, however, and compatibility with my style does.

2. No, it does not. I'd try both rubbers and keep the one I feel most comfortable with.

3. Dr. Evil, Phantom, Beast, Nightmare

4. Voodoo

Can you post the results and paper here when you're finished?

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2014, 05:59 

That´s hard to manage. It´s no academic study, but a bibliophilic or fetish work. On the other hand i will maintain certain intellectual standards and there will be some results. Maybe i will post some translated excerpts when the book is published. But they won´t supersed the book.

O.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2014, 21:20 
Super User

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: Joola Dynaryz ZGR
BH: Tibhar Grass DTecS
Hi Oliver,

1 No.

2 No. I too use Grass DTecS

3 Beast, Nightmare,Destroyer, and although now banned Super Block which described the attributes of the rubber perfectly. I also like the name Killer which is a short/ medium pip.

4 Equaliser, Neutraliser or Avenger.

Bulldog.

Last edited by Bulldog on 26 Feb 2014, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2014, 21:43 
Joo Too
Joo Too

smash-and-trash wrote:
That´s hard to manage. It´s no academic study, but a bibliophilic or fetish work. On the other hand i will maintain certain intellectual standards and there will be some results. Maybe i will post some translated excerpts when the book is published. But they won´t supersed the book.

O.

Oh, I see. Well, excerpts would certainly be welcome. You might want to advertise your book here when it's completed. There will be certainly potential buyers here. Does it only have pips/anti as a subject or TT in general? What's the subject of the book?

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2014, 00:35 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
There's a theme here, isn't there? "I like the sound of X but I use Grass D.TecS".

Maybe you should ask an additional question - "Where did you hear about your current rubber/how did you find your current rubber?".

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2014, 01:13 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
mynamenotbob wrote:
I choose the rubber that I play best with, Grass D.TecS, which has maybe the worst name ever. Except for Palio CK531A.

I play Grass D.TecS and I think it's stypidest name for a rubber... :swear:

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2014, 01:46 
Joo Too
Joo Too

I don't think grass is a stupid name. Pips, seen from above, can be considered grass. Dtecs is the name of the technology built in the pips/sponge.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2014, 05:37 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Lorre wrote:
I don't think grass is a stupid name. Pips, seen from above, can be considered grass. Dtecs is the name of the technology built in the pips/sponge.

D.TecS stands for "Dynamic Tecnology with Samsonov"

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2014, 07:36 
Joo Too
Joo Too

mynamenotbob wrote:
D.TecS stands for "Dynamic Tecnology with Samsonov"

The child needs to have a name, doesn't it? :lol: Anyway, it's something similar like spring sponge or tensor technology and was needed to replace the glue effect after speed glue was banned.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2014, 07:51 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

I think in general we are affected by names that paint a image , for example Dr Evil and nightmare the same with Tenergy (10 out of 10 energy) and hurricane/ bluefire where roundall sounds alright but all round lol and no one wants

mind you sometimes plain names that don't paint a picture can be marketed and be a strong seller, just look at this ummm two brothers want to set up the biggest successful burger seller the World has ever known , lets see ...Best Buger, no Burger King no , hay lets call it McDonalds that could work

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2014, 02:21 
Super User

1. no

2. theoretically possible but extremely unlikely. Would have to have EXACTLY the same playing characteristics and cost.

3. Screw for the double meaning of rotation and the vulgar meaning.
Nightmare and Hellfire are good.

4. Sword for my offensive rubber and Shield for my anti.
Following notBob's idea - Screw S (for Sharara) would be good.
Anything sciency - Quasar, Pulsar, Nuetronium,

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2014, 22:05 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: DHS G888 1.8mm
BH: Dragon Talon NT OX
smash-and-trash wrote:

no, not the name but the geometry and softness of a long pips rubber. I only buy wide spaced, soft and very long pips and I will buy and try whatever brand offers such rubber.

Quote:

If the price is the same for close to identical rubbers, I will pick the one with the better name if I like them equally. Not going to pay more for the name. Of course, there are other considerations like how long a rubber lasts.

Quote:

Bomb Talent, Cropcircles, nightmare

Quote:

"CANCER", "OUTCAST", "SPINKILLER", "Außenseiter", "Giant Killer", "Sodom & Gomorrah", "Sinner", "Equalizer",

Quote:

Cheers

Oliver
(Berlin, Germany)

Grueße nach Deutschland!

Olivier aus Florida