OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:35

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 16:06 

i want to get something that is similar to tenergy 05 for my backhand (soft, control), but i dont want to pay for a tenergy (so $$$). yinhe moon, is very similar, but i couldnt any with 2.1mm sponge (2.2mm is too much for me). what are CHEAP options are there?

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 16:31 
Super User

Why don't you google it.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 16:47 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku Flyatt Carbon Pro
FH: Tibhar Aurus TC-1
BH: 729 802 2.1mm
Sriver FX with speed glue..unless you're participating in ittf tournament, then it should be illegal.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 17:12 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Try this:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15710&p=169959

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 17:32 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

I'm not sure but I have a vague feeling that there has been another thread somewhere devoted to this topic.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 02:53 
Super User

Blade: Zhang Jike SZLC
FH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Blk
BH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Red
slowboytommy wrote:
i want to get something that is similar to tenergy 05 for my backhand (soft, control), but i dont want to pay for a tenergy (so $$$). yinhe moon, is very similar, but i couldnt any with 2.1mm sponge (2.2mm is too much for me). what are CHEAP options are there?

I bought a Galaxy Moon rubber on ebay from China friend for around $13 with free shipping and ended up putting it on a Donic Black Devil balsa blade that I was selling. Disappointed with it and compared with the Bluefire M1 on the other side the M1 was a much better rubber. A tournament player I know used to purchase the Pro version from contra.de as a replacement Tenergy 05 and said that it was pretty good but then ended up going back to T05. On the Contra.de the regular Moon comes in 3 different degrees of hardness. The one I got from China may have been too hard.

Here's a review on here of the Moon Pro
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14712
but IMHO if you're paying the much higher price for the supposedly better version you'd be better off looking for discounted rubbers that come up every so often.

I've going to presume that since you're looking for a T05 for your BH you're ideally looking for a T05FX which Zhang Jike uses...
Baracuda is sought after in 2.0 (I got a max - too heavy at 50 grams cut - for around €23 from inters.pl). This is supposedly very similar to Tenergy 05FX.
Adidas P7 I have and I would classify it as a better more modern day equivalent to the Baracuda.
Tibhar 5Q I've had and if buying again I would consider the 5Q Sound version which has being reputed to be more spin & control and is currently discounted on tabletennis11
Another is the Razka 7 soft which is a tensor and is on the light side and again can be got discounted on tabletennis11

If you really want a Tenergy it is very difficulty to get something similar to T05 or a T05FX but in going for something likes the ones mentioned above they could be a better overall choice instead of a Tenergy 05FX being lighter (in some cases) and less re-active to spinney serves.

If you check out the links on the previous posts there are plenty more choices mentioned. With the plastic ball imminent I've been led to believe that rubbers that are tacky will do better since the ball is less coarse. This means you may not be looking for a tenergy replacement but for the likes of something similar to a Tibhar Grip-S Europe Soft.

If you do end up with a cheap Chinese rubber it will not last as long. On the Galaxy Moon that I ended up with it seemed like a 2.0-2.1 but was probably rated more - I don't recall ever getting a choice on thickness. If you end up buying of ebay it would be worth specifying the hardness you're looking for.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 07:19 

i m currently using dhs dipper 2 2.2mm. its soft but i always loop out of the table. will moon with 2.2mm have more control?

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 07:49 

i also found this

http://www.tabletennisdb.com/rubber/lkt-rapid-soft.html

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 08:47 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
That's nothing like T05

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 17:11 

ok yinhe moon it is!

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 22:48 
Super User

Tommy I have been testing out moon pro, softer version of moon and let me tell you Yinhe moon pro plays nothing like T05fx and I'm sure the same has to be said for moon. My opinion of the rubber is that it is very slow, can put good spin on ball like any rubber can with the right technique but won't just do the spin that tenergy 05 does nor the pace. People who play with t05 at the highest standards of table tennis have said nothing plays similar to t05 and that is why it is the number one forehand rubber of professional choice at the moment in table tennis. it's going to stay that way for a long time because nothing competes with T05 without the added effect of boosting the rubber. Butterfly have no reason to bring a super new T05 because the other companies hven't caught up to T05 and they are all fighting for second place. People on the net say otherwise but T05 is king and would be ignorant to argue otherwise. Bty get the records of what rubbers are used at prof tournaments and t05 is no 1. What does that say? People argue "this is like t05, and this one here" but I swear they don't come close because they would be getting used by the pros... BUT THERE NOT.

T05 has a distinct feel that no other rubber can parallel to. A lot of people say razka, Acuda?, barracuda, vega and omega range but it's not tamasus recipe. The Internet says there all really similar but they ain't grandmas secret cookie recipe and your mum doesn't bake them like nan does. Do you catch my drift. You want T05 your just going to have to fork out the dosh.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 22:56 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

I haven't played with yin he moon but I suspect bobs is spot on. However, unless you are a reasonably advanced player, some form of spinny Chinese rubber should serve you fine.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 23:02 
Super User

I'm a bit confused that you want to use T05 on your backhand as a control rubber as you stated in your opening paragraph. I've never heard of T05 as being a control rubber? Can I say something crazy here but I'm getting a feeling that you must be the one and only loop lord ma long?

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2014, 07:46 

no im not ma long, but im trying to be

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2014, 07:51 

btw i m very confused about the hardness on the moon and moon pro. the softest sponge on a lot of websites are 38 degrees. does that mean 33degrees=38degrees actual hardness?