OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:44

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 16:10 

i want to learn zhang jike's reverse pendulum (the coolest serve i've ever seen), however, i want to learn both bottom and top spin (im pretty sure zjk can do both). so far, i can serve top spin. i couldnt get the bottom spin though. any tip or video on how to do it?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 16:18 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

You have to get your elbow far to the side and a bit forward to reach "around" and get the bat under the ball.
A short vid from Pingskills:

Although it is not obvious from the video, you need to almost "lead with the elbow" to get it right. (I mostly don't get it right, BTW.)

Zhang Jike serves with smaller swing than Alois Rosario shows, which makes it hard for the opponent to tell what kind of serve is coming. That short movement requires a very strong wrist though, so he is perhaps not the best model to use when building technique for your serves. I'd start from the Pingskills video.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 17:30 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Great advice Keme. Initially at least it is often better to have a long swing when serving so as to learn to get healthy spin on the ball. Remember, it ain't worth a thing if it ain't got that spin. :) Another reverse pendulum worth looking at is Achanta's - his soft-hands and beautiful use of wrist are sublime.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 18:43 

carbonman wrote:
Great advice Keme. Initially at least it is often better to have a long swing when serving so as to learn to get healthy spin on the ball. Remember, it ain't worth a thing if it ain't got that spin. :) Another reverse pendulum worth looking at is Achanta's - his soft-hands and beautiful use of wrist are sublime.

Agree. Have a look at the slo-mo of Achanta from Pro Table Tennis Serves. Don't expect to be able to do that for a long time (I still can't get my wrist as relaxed and fluid as his!), but watch how the raised elbow drives the service motion. That becomes the fixed point to allow the "pendulum" to swing freely.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 19:58 
The King

Another approach is to keep the handle under your arm/wrist instead of over as seen in the videos. This is easier to do for most people it seems.

Put to rest:
Galaxy T10 Bluefire M2 2.0 Palio Ck531a ox
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox
Donic Defplay Senso Tibhar Aurus Sound Black max * Grass D-tecs ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 07:24 

thanks! time to practice!

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2014, 22:06 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Elvis56 wrote:
Another approach is to keep the handle under your arm/wrist instead of over as seen in the videos. This is easier to do for most people it seems.

Have a look at defender Adam Pattantyus who has a very good version of this one.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2014, 01:11 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
I find having the handle over my arm makes creating the backspin variation much easier. It gives the perfect angle for backspin and a slight tilt of the arm or small change in timing or contact can create the side top version. Most people expect the side top but many opponents dump the backspin/ side variant into the net. It's a early or late quick cheap point for me normally.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2014, 01:55 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate II
FH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
BH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
Elvis56 wrote:

I'm having difficulty picturing how this is done. Are you saying the ball is struck using the backhand side of the racket?

Def-attack wrote:
Have a look at defender Adam Pattantyus who has a very good version of this one.

Do you have a specific vdeo showing the technique that Elvis56 describes? In the video's I've seen, Adam's reverse pendulum looks like he keeps the handle above the wrist.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2014, 02:16 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
GMan4911 wrote:
Elvis56 wrote:

I'm having difficulty picturing how this is done. Are you saying the ball is struck using the backhand side of the racket?

Def-attack wrote:

Do you have a specific vdeo showing the technique that Elvis56 describes? In the video's I've seen, Adam's reverse pendulum looks like he keeps the handle above the wrist.

Here is a match. Difficult to say if handle is above or below wrist though. But he has good serves anyway :)

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2014, 02:19 
The King

GMan4911 wrote:
Elvis56 wrote:

Def-attack wrote:

No, hit with the forehand side but let the handle rotate under your wrist instead of over your wrist. This requires a somewhat different grip but seems to be easier for most people.

Put to rest:
Galaxy T10 Bluefire M2 2.0 Palio Ck531a ox
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox
Donic Defplay Senso Tibhar Aurus Sound Black max * Grass D-tecs ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2014, 03:13 

I've always thought that Alexey Smirnov has a very smooth and natural reverse pendulum. There are some nice close ups in games 2 and 4 of this match against Shibaev.