OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 06:34

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 633 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: Giant Dragon Talon
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2014, 01:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
[Roy said]
I have 388-1 with sponge - maybe I try to remove it and put in the defplay.

Was thinking of doing this myself,I don`t think it will give as much reversal as the pips are not smooth like 388d but should chop and attack better ,however if it offers some reversal could be interesting]

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2014, 19:07 
The King

Tried the fw+with talon and hurricane 3 last night and reversal/spin continuation was indeed better on passive blocks. On chopping it seemed to be not as good as on the defplay. Attacking with the talon was very easy and hurricane 3 worked surprisingly well. I may even keep this setup to use against lower ranked players.

Put to rest:
Galaxy T10 Bluefire M2 2.0 Palio Ck531a ox
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox
Donic Defplay Senso Tibhar Aurus Sound Black max * Grass D-tecs ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2014, 22:49 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
Elvis56 wrote:
Tried the fw+with talon and hurricane 3 last night and reversal/spin continuation was indeed better on passive blocks. On chopping it seemed to be not as good as on the defplay. Attacking with the talon was very easy and hurricane 3 worked surprisingly well. I may even keep this setup to use against lower ranked players.

I played FW+ with Hurricane 3 and Talon and indeed it was good. Now I have TG3 in FH, and it might be a bit better with lower trajectory and slightly softer feeling.

On chopping Talon with FW+ was ok for me, but it felt that I couldn't generate much backspin, as the ball trampolined away very quickly. For me the dtecs seems to chop clearly better in FW+, with better and dwellier feel and with clearly more backspin. And resultwise I seem to be holding better my own in chopping rallies with dtecs.

In pushblocking FW+/Talon is a one sided rubber for me, because I am not a good BH hitter, and FW+ is too fast for any tricky short shots. So for me Talon works well for fast pushing to the corners. Dtecs feels a bit more versatile in pushblocking, but a bit more faster and unpredictable too. So maybe bit more effect with dtecs, but is it enough to compensate for the easy mistakes?

For me Palio work nearly as well with FW+. It's a bit slower, feeling for choppng is very good and spin is good. Palio don't have much funk in pushing. The biggest downside of Palio is (besides missing disturbance curves) is nicely said in this thread...

http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/foru ... -ox-review

Quote:
The biggest problem with CK531A in OX is that there is a spin threshold when passive blocking. When you play against a skilled player that can generate enough topspin, your block with pop up and fly off the table.

That's exactly, what I was feeling.

With Defplay I have played only 20 minutes or so, so I don't have educated opinion of it. As a blade it has totally different from FW+, flexier, dampening, hard with ox, vibrating, thin, a lot slower. Dampening and flexing properties would propably need some time adjust, but I had no actual problems with blocking or chopping, but no immediate benefits over FW+ in terms of control as a substitute for missing speed.

Defplay+Talon seems to be much better combination in pushblocking than my MP+Palio combination that was useless. I think the difference is in the Defplays harder outer ply.

I Will try Defplay in future, but I am slightly pessimistic, because of the missing speed and funkiness in ox pips play, which propably is not rubber dependent. My play depends a lot in preventing the first attack, because I have not fast enough reflexes at table and not fast enough legs away from the table. So it seems to me that Defplay might fit better a defensive player with fast feet to get under the ball, while FW+/Talon works better for players who are constantly out of position and who rather prevent the first attack than defend it back.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2014, 00:47 
Super User

"So it seems to me that Defplay might fit better a defensive player with fast feet to get under the ball, while FW+/Talon works better for players who are constantly out of position and who rather prevent the first attack than defend it back."

Random thoughts:

Being constantly out of position will greatly limit the effectiveness of any blade/rubber combo. I've used fast blades...medium blades...slow blades and everything in between. I started improving when I figured out how to get behind the ball with my pips....and for me a slowish blade helped create/maintain a pace that allowed me to do that.

I use a Defplay w/Dtec OX and it's quite effective. Great for blocking at the table and chopping away from the table. I imagine the Defplay/Talon would be the similar.

There is a massive learning curve with LP. I'm guessing blocking/pushing are the first skills most LP players learn. Becoming dependent on passive blocks....is a recipe for disaster. All rubber/blade combos are different but learning to block balls off the bounce and chop blocking are essential skills and will reduce pop ups and increase control. For me that's hard to do (or less effective) if I'm out of position.

I've learned to use service return as an opportunity to attack....and by that I mean aggressive pushes to spots on the table where opponents aren't expecting a return....right at their body....wide FH...etc.

There is a fine line between allowing an opponent's attack and preventing their attack. Inducing an opponent to attack the way I want them to...is to my way of thinking...preventing their attack. That applies to blocking or chopping. Allowing them to attack....so I can attack.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2014, 01:28 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
treetop wrote:
I use a Defplay w/Dtec OX and it's quite effective. Great for blocking at the table and chopping away from the table. I imagine the Defplay/Talon would be the similar.

I haven't played Defplay with dtecs, but it might be considerbly better than Talon, If the propeties would work like with dtecs my FW+. It would have more speed, more disturbance and clearly better chopping ability than Talon (maybe our friend Elvis disagree,.. :P ). With the FW+ the extra speed and liveliness of dtecs might not be a blessing at all.

With a short trial of chopping with Defplay+Talon, I had same inability get spin out of it. In chopping with FW+/dtecs there is very nice "ripped" feeling, like the ball would be loaded with spin.
Quote:
There is a massive learning curve with LP. I'm guessing blocking/pushing are the first skills most LP players learn.

I am not so sure of that... :?: I have a good chopper as a training partner, and he can't pushblock that much with my ox stuff. At least I can chop with his sponged equipment... I think blocking with pips is hard to learn, if you have wrong equipment for that, like my MP+Palio combo.
Quote:
Being constantly out of position will greatly limit the effectiveness of any blade/rubber combo.

Yeah, but let me give an example... I do a lot of FH fishing and blocking (althought that 's not my favorite shot). Usually I am late to to ball and I am happy just to get the ball on the other side. Some other players would punch-block or counter loop for more effective shot with the help of faster reflexes. With FW+ I can fish effectively just by getting the blade on the way of the ball and there would be nice oomph in that "save". If I had slower equipment, my emergency fishing save would not have the same oomph and the ball might even die on the blade.

And it's not that I am that bad player, because I have other compensating things going like dangerous arsenal of serves and good serve returns.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2014, 03:26 
The King

D-tecs is more disturbing than talon but the problem I have with dtecs is that it is very unpredictable in no spin balls and too sensitive to temperature and humidity. I've pretty much settled for the talon for now, on 2 blades I will use talon and on the most defensive setup Dawei 388d.

Put to rest:
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 03:10 

I've just taken off Talon sponge on a couple of my blades. FYI, because the sponge is porous, it's a PAIN to take it off. Took a some acetone and a lot of care then sand paper to get the thing off.

MY friend who I gave a TALON OX didnt have problems on the OX version. Seems like it's the sponge thats a real pain. Just be aware that you can't reuse the sponge version if you plan to switch it around different blades. It'll be a one time thing or you can turn it into OX version.

I dont mind really being one off . ITs the time and effort taking it off thats the problem for me.

Experimental Blade : Victas Koji Matushista Def : TSP Curl P1r LP .6 sponge : Giant Dragon Submarine Chop

My Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=25085

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 04:52 
The King

LDMovies wrote:
I've just taken off Talon sponge on a couple of my blades. FYI, because the sponge is porous, it's a PAIN to take it off. Took a some acetone and a lot of care then sand paper to get the thing off.

MY friend who I gave a TALON OX didnt have problems on the OX version. Seems like it's the sponge thats a real pain. Just be aware that you can't reuse the sponge version if you plan to switch it around different blades. It'll be a one time thing or you can turn it into OX version.

I dont mind really being one off . ITs the time and effort taking it off thats the problem for me.

It depends on the sheet really, first talon I had was difficult to remove the sponge and the sponge was ruined. On 3 other sheets the sponge was removed in 5 seconds without any problem.

Put to rest:

Current standings:

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 19:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
Elvis how do you find the Talon on the Defplay compared to 388d/ there seems to be less affects/control to me,I can see more movement/wobble on the ball with the 388d confirmed by other players against me ,one guy put a lot of sidespin on his serve and said my return was moving from side to side as it came towards him though it must have been suttle,fast movement as I couldn`t detect it from my end

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 19:54 
The King

Somehow 388d works very well on the defplay but mostly for chopping. Overall I like the talon better though. A few days ago I switched back to d-tecs in ox and for me it works than any other pip and I tested many.

Put to rest:

Current standings:

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2017, 08:45 

anybody know where to buy dragon talon in US ?
i email ztabletennis ([email protected]) but bounce back

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2017, 04:39 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: DHS G888 1.8mm
BH: Dragon Talon NT OX
dony71 wrote:

Once in a while, you can get great deals on Dragon Talon on Ebay.. I just bought 5 sheets for about $50 a couple of weeks ago.. That's only regular Talon.. I order the National Team version of the rubber from ttdd.de

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2017, 07:01 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

Pushblocker wrote:
dony71 wrote:

Once in a while, you can get great deals on Dragon Talon on Ebay.. I just bought 5 sheets for about $50 a couple of weeks ago.. That's only regular Talon.. I order the National Team version of the rubber from ttdd.de

How often do you change yours PB, annually or No. of hours played approx?

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2017, 10:27 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

LDMovies wrote:

Try a hard pencil eraser.

I used to have people come to me to put rubber on old pre-made bats, these days, having learned the hard way, I tell them they have to take the rubber off first... :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2017, 21:37 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: DHS G888 1.8mm
BH: Dragon Talon NT OX
Robot Blocker wrote:
Pushblocker wrote:
dony71 wrote:

How often do you change yours PB, annually or No. of hours played approx?

I change it when I lose more than 2 pips on it.. Usually a sheet lasts me 2 - 4 years.. I just lost my oldest sheet which I have been playing since 2012... 5 years.. Not sure how many hours.. I played at least 30 tournaments with that one..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 633 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 43  Next