OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 20:10

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: DHS 651 short pimples
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2007, 13:59 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Just got this short pimple rubber in from DHS... nothing like any rubber I've seen from DHS before.

The pimples are fairly hard, rough and quite wide. Doesn't feel terribly grippy, probably because the hardness of the rubber, but might be grippy under impact.

It has a bright yellow sponge, which feels soft and very light...very unusual for DHS! In fact the whole sheet feels very light and flexible... whereas most DHS rubbers tend to feel a little heavy and stiff...

Anyone tried this one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007, 05:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Tried it once before, but my sheet had a harder sponge so the whole thing felt very stiff. It is a "classic" short pips rubber though and might be well worth trying if it has a softer sponge.

-- Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007, 09:06 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Was your sponge bright yellow as well, do you remember? Perhaps this is a newer version... don't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2007, 10:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

The sponge may have been yellow, I don't really remember.

It was on a Double Happiness No 08 which is a very hard blade so that might have affected the feel.

-- Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2007, 19:12 

I´ve been playing with DHS 651 20 years ago 1,5 mm. It was a fantastic rubber for hitting and blocking with little friction. In fact it was also quite good for chopping, but looping was almost impossible. Back then the sponge was yellow ( I still have the sheet ). A couple of days ago I got a new sheet of DHS 651 from Alex, and it is a completely different rubber. Why they changed it, I don´t know. The pimples are much farther apart on the new sheet and the sponge are softer. I havn´t tried in my club yet, so I return later with an opdate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2007, 21:59 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Excellent, look forwards to your feedback!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2007, 21:45 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Have you tried it yet sledge_hammer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2007, 16:23 

Hi haggisv

No I just got back from camping yesterday, but I hope to test the the DHS 651 soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2007, 15:51 

Hi Alex !
I know I promised to test the DSH 651, but I´m afraid I have to break that promise for the moment. Last week I tried the RITC 802 for the first time and I liked it a lot. Since our tournament will begin in a short time, I now want to pay the RITC 802 my full attention. Hope to get back later though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2007, 17:54 

I finally got to test the DHS 651 yesterday, so here is a short review. I put it on a LKT Pro XC Balsa Transformer blade. Normally I use the SP in my forehand, but this time I put in on my backhand. It wasn´t really my intention to play more than a few minutes, but I was in for a surprise.

Colour is black and sponge is 1,8 mm.

Compared to globe 889, the pimples are not so wide but the spacing between them are bigger. The pips were a bit longer, but not much.

All in all they felt like something between SP and MP.

Speed: Medium/fast like must SP. Much faster than medium pimples f. ex. globe 888.

Sensitivity to incomming spin: Depends a little on the stroke. Using a light forward stroke, the 651 showed only little sensitivity to spin. I was able to attack many serves taking my opponents by surprise quite a few times. It is definitely less sensitive than most other SP I have tried.

Ability to create spin: Quite amazing. I could serve with heavy spin and push backspin back over the table almost like inverted. I could also make controlled loops. The pips dosn´t feel that grippy on the top, so I guess they most bend on impact.

Blocking: Superb. I have never tried anything like it. Tons of control both directional and how fast you want the block to be. It was also quite easy to chop-block. The deception of my blocks wasn´t great, but I had enormous staying power and could block over and over again he he.

[b]Chopping away from the table
: Compared to LP the 651 is of course somewhat faster, but for a SP the control again was amazing. After just 10 min I was able to chop more than 8-10 times both on spinny and on fast loops from my opponents.

Counter Hitting: Didn´t really do any, but I hit or smashed the ball several times with my backhand, which is not normally my strong side.

Serving with pimple dosn´t normally give me so many points, but since the pips on the 651 bend a little on impact, I was able to serve a fast pendulum serve and disguise the spin. It could both be a no spin ball, but also a quite spinny backspin/sidespin or topspin/sidespin ball. This can of course also be done with an inverted side, but it felt so much easier with this rubber. It gave lot of cheap points or pop-ups returns to kill.

All in all an extemely versatile rubber with the ability to both attack and defend far from the table.

Flemming[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2007, 20:54 

Buy the way Alex remind me to get some secret commission for good advertising of the DHS 651.

Flemming

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2007, 23:30 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

sledge_hammer wrote:
Buy the way Alex remind me to get some secret commission for good advertising of the DHS 651.

Flemming

Hmmm cheque's in the mail :wink:

Thanks for the review sledge_hammer...this might be the first review on this rubber ever!

I think the soft sponge would no doubt help you get more spin too, especially on higher impact strokes...

So it sounds like you like it even better than the original (which you were actually trying to get :lol: )?

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2014, 03:03 

DhS 651 is an allround short pips, good for service return and blocking and works good on medium hard blade.its good for chopping also and for whoever looking old style pips this is one of them ,its not like RITC 802 or 802.40 or globe 889 , pimples are small and taller than the other's what i have mentioned.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2014, 22:16 

Blade: Vintage DHS 032 CPEN
FH: 651 2.2mm
BH: C7 1.0mm

Hi all, while I'm waiting for my old
Bat to be shipped from Bulgaria to USA, I'm playing with an old DHS (I think) recreational bat. One side inverted other side short pips. Can anyone identify this rubber? I think it's an old sheet of 651.

Last I was at the club I was using their stock cpen bats (which are very easy to play with) and was hitting with an intermediate player. We had a ton of fun long looping rallies...

When I decided to switch to my rec bat and hitting with SP, he couldn't hit back at all...I guess the sp was giving him a hard time! I liked that haha.

I'm digging these short pips although I have to put some work in to get some power...I really enjoy the flat no spin and straight smashes. Have to work on the FH technique better but seeing that opponents have a hard time returning flat balls...gives me thought of using SP exclusively on my forehand and blocks.

I play cpen with occasional RPH backhand loops.

PostPosted: 12 May 2014, 20:27 

Blade: Vintage DHS 032 CPEN
FH: 651 2.2mm
BH: C7 1.0mm
Just changed my 802 1.5mm to 651 2.2mm. So much better at least for me--more pop on blocks and the availability to loop.