OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:56

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2014, 20:07 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
This has probably been posted before, but it's a classic!

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2014, 23:16 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Those are some sweet blocks! I rely on blocking a fair bit in my game, from both the pips and the inverted. * wonder if JO could pips block as well? :lol: Actually, last night I hit one of the best pips blocks I've ever hit. My opponent and his teammate umpiring (both seasoned A1 players, much higher level than me) had their jaws on the floor 8) Opponent is traditional Penholder and attacking me from his BH side to my BH. I block about 3 heavy attacks back until I pop one up a bit and he goes the kill, except I block the kill down his FH line and all he can do is watch it :D He beat me 4-0, but this was the shot of the match :*

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2014, 08:15 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Waldner make it look so easy, as his anticipation is just amazing. Since blocking is a weak part of my game, I like to watch vids like this, just to see if I can pick up some tips. :oops:

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2014, 09:36 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
I've tried to watch his videos a few times. With him less seems to be more and he uses his opponents pace against them. His timing is exquisite and he seems to be able to always block with the ball in front of him which means he sees it very early and helps create better angles. It's ironic when people look for speed, spin and power but those are the same things which fueled Waldner's game as he used those things back against his opponents.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2014, 11:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
That video sure is a CLASSIC!

It is incredible how he reads the side spin combined with the top spin so well.

Thanks for posting that! I'm going to concentrate more on my block.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2014, 23:31 
My Precious

FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
Wow what can you say but that's...incredible :| :| :|

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 01:28 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Oh my Freakin' Goodness.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 05:51 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Because I only ever play weaker players I spend my days Waldnerising myself. I stand right behind the ball and block it straight off the bounce. The thing is it only works against opponents who are below your level, luckily for Waldner for most of his career that was almost everyone so he could afford to play around with them.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 18:18 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

foam wrote:
Because I only ever play weaker players I spend my days Waldnerising myself. I stand right behind the ball and block it straight off the bounce. The thing is it only works against opponents who are below your level, luckily for Waldner for most of his career that was almost everyone so he could afford to play around with them.

Foam I assume you mean it only works against lower level opponents YOU play. I took a set off MH (Vic 1480) at Dandy winning the deuce point with a FH block across to his FH as he went down my FH line. I won several points through the match this way. The scoreline was 11-9, 11-9, 11-13, 11-7. Not bad when he was 370 points above me...the blocks helped a lot!

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 19:46 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

No I mean that as a universal law. You'll never beat a better player than youself blocking with inverted but you can beat players less skilled than yourself.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 20:37 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

foam wrote:
No I mean that as a universal law. You'll never beat a better player than youself blocking with inverted but you can beat players less skilled than yourself.

Oh I see...winning by ONLY blocking against a better player...yes very unlikely. I'm sure a few of my victims would beg to differ though ;)

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 20:53 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Yeah I meant as in playing like that in general. Usually the only way to beat a player better than yourself is to play more aggressively than you normally would and hope you're having a good day :). Or the other guy has the flu :p I know playing mid flu costs me about 200 rating points worth of skills. No sleep the night before costs about 100 points and various levels of lack of sleep somewhere between zero and 100. So these things can all change the result. I've never played a tournament on more than 5 hours sleep other than the last days of country week though.. Don't think I've ever lost a match in the later half of the tournament (I haven't won many on the first day) either so it shows up in the results.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 22:17 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

I play most tournaments on 1-3 hours sleep, but worse than that I play them at a time when I'm otherwise usually asleep and almost never play TT at. It doesn't bring out your best game lol.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2014, 05:16 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

On the other hand I usually play better at tournaments than here because here I have to play with white walls :P.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2014, 09:10 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Blocking with inverted is a great equalizer for a very fast player. Especially if he go for a one shot kill and did not expect it to be returned.