OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 21:25

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 02:53 
Comeback Chopper

Pipsy wrote:
Steven, that's GREAT news! This is going to be an epic interview :rock:

I need some time to think of some more specific interview questions, but it would be interesting to know how Norio Takashima has perceived the evolving of table tennis defence and of the defensive equipment (blades and rubbers) and how he thinks about the future of defensive table tennis.

I find it is very interesting to read stories about the history of table tennis defence. Steven, you have already made such a brilliant thread about WTTC 1975 and the 'official' beginning of LPs: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21384

Next step: a book about the history of table tennis defence? :angel:

Pipsy,

I have tried to incorporate your questions into those in my list. Please don't hesitate to come up with more questions, or suggest changes to my questions. I did edit my questions a short time ago, based on new things that I learned from the translation by zzzuppp on the history of table tennis legends.

A book about the history of defensive table tennis would be exciting. Of course I wouldn't be the one to write such a book, since I was away from table tennis for so many years. (I missed the entire careers of Chen Xinhua, Ding Song, and Koji Matsushita, and didn't even know of them until long after each had retired.) Sometimes I feel sad about missing so much, but mostly I am thrilled every day to back playing table tennis again.

Steven

--------------
Returned to table tennis September 2011
Canada National Team Member, 1973-1975
--------------
1972-1987
Brickell Balsa/Birch 3-ply Blade
Yasaka Mark V 1.5mm
Joola Toni Hold AntiTopspin 2.5mm

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 03:09 
Comeback Chopper

carbonman wrote:
I have read about the 1973 China-Japan match - it must have been truly amazing. The final point was an extraordinary way to end it.

Laing was number one in the world in 1976. I know he was an all-rounder but I still consider him to be primarily a chopper.

I saw the end of this historic match on television on the Wide World of Sports. Its hard to describe in words what is was like, and my memory is certainly lacking. If my memory is correct, it was Takashima's serve, and it was approaching the 13th and final shot. Li was attacking Takashima's backhand. After many backhand chops, Takashima was able to move to his backhand side with lightning speed, and with all that momentum, performed a monstrous kill shot. Down 20-14, recovering to 20-19, it almost felt as if the fate of world was dependent on this kill shot. Takashima went crashing to the floor, badly injured, while Li blocked that incredible smash to capture the world title. It would be fantastic if there was a film showing this point, or better even the entire match, available somewhere. That match must have been one of the greatest involving any defensive player in history.

With regard to Liang, if my memory is correct, he was rather different from a modern defensive player. Liang would typical initiate the attack when he was serving, and play classical defense when he was receiving the serve. That is, two rather different styles that were dependent upon who is serving.

Steven

--------------
--------------
1972-1987
Yasaka Mark V 1.5mm

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 05:27 
Super User

Blade: DonicWaldnerSenso
FH: Sriver FX-Max
BH: TSP Curl P-1R 0.5
Steven, you're in luck!! It's here-

The Takashima-Li section is at c. 21' (but the whole film is worth watching!). This is part 3 of the 10-part 'History of Chinese TT', which used to be available on a 10-DVD set. I'm lucky enough to own one.

(And, NB, it didn't give China the World title of course! only a step nearer, but Sweden would win it. )

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 09:02 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
THank you zzzuppp! :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 11:46 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Thx zzzuppp. I have seen it before a while back. What a shame that they missed the most dramatic moment by cutting away before Takashima fell to the floor.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 18:20 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Can anyone find a picture of Norio, either a old one from when he was in his prime, or a more recent one?

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 20:50 
Super User

An image I scanned from an old book until something better can be found. The quality of the printing was pretty low and the glue of the book binding is now falling apart.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2014, 22:09 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Thanks for the opportunity to ask questions.

1. In todays game, coaches video virtually every match that is played and analyse that video and also videos of opponents. How did you scout or review opponents strengths and weakness and your own strength and weakness. What recording or analysis techniques did you use to identify you use to improve your own game.

2. How did you practice the mental side of the game, staying strong mentally, never giving up, working out players during games and finding their weaknesses.

3. If a defender "wins" a match it's often portrayed as being due to mistakes from their opponent. Did this ever bother you, or did you feel as a defender, you never really got the true credit you deserved, certainly from the media, for your ability to create forced errors rather than unforced errors from opponents.

4. What is thte most important skill for a player of your style to have?

5. When did you start to play table tennis and why?

6. How much did it cost to buy table tennis equipment you used in the 70's and 80's?

7. How did "fame" and being one of the best players in the world affect your personal life? Did you lose friends from your child hood, did it make you sceptical of new people who you came across in your life ie did you think "they only want to know me because of what I've achieved, rather than who I actually am". How do you learn to trust people you have never met before when you are successful at world level?

8. What is your favourite table tennis shot?

9. What is the hardest shot in table tennis for you to play when you were at your peak and now?

10. What is the most important attribute or skill a table tennis player needs?

11. What other sports did you play as a child and why did you take the path of table tennis?

12. Has the standard of behaviour changed in top level table tennis since the 1970's, if so how?

13. How often did you used to change your equipment - blade and rubbers.

14. Was player sponsorship a big thing when you were playing, and what were the benefits of being sponsored.

15. When chosing your equipment what came first / was the most important thing to get right? The blade, the FH rubber or the BH rubber?

16. What was the age and gender make up of table tennis clubs when you started playing as a child and how has that changed over the years?

17. What was the reaction of your parents to you first starting out playing table tennis and then again as you improved and became one of the worlds best players?

18. If you could make one rule change for modern table tennis, what would that be?

19. Would you ever consider setting up an academy for teaching table tennis defenders?

20. Who were the characters of the game when you played, and what made them such great characters?

Thanks

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014, 09:54 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks fleetwood999 :up: :up: :up: Although that greatly helps me locate one, I'm amazed that I've still not managed to find one through Google. He must have stayed out of the public eyes in the last 20 years.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014, 21:11 
Super User

There are 3 pics in the Uzorinac article I put up-I'll try and find a moment to upload them. :)

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2014, 22:32 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

zzzuppp wrote:
There are 3 pics in the Uzorinac article I put up-I'll try and find a moment to upload them. :)

That would be awesome! :up:

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2014, 06:07 
Super User

Here we go

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2014, 06:32 
Comeback Chopper

zzzuppp wrote:
Steven, you're in luck!! It's here-

The Takashima-Li section is at c. 21' (but the whole film is worth watching!). This is part 3 of the 10-part 'History of Chinese TT', which used to be available on a 10-DVD set. I'm lucky enough to own one.

(And, NB, it didn't give China the World title of course! only a step nearer, but Sweden would win it. )

zzzuppp,

Thanks so much for getting this film for us. It was very memorable to see Takashima playing again, especially in this big match. If I recall correctly, on television, the television camera was on the opposite side of the table, so Li was facing the camera. From that angle, the last point looked much more dramatic. I look forward to watching the entire film in its entirety.

I had forgotten that Sweden won the world championship. As I was writing my description of the match, I realized that my memories on the 1971 and 1973 World Championships, which I only read about and watched on television, were blending together, so I was concerned that I would write something wrong. Sure enough I got the winners mixed up. Anyway, I am still confident that my memories of the 1975 World Championships are correct, having been there.

Thanks again,

Steven

--------------
--------------
1972-1987
Yasaka Mark V 1.5mm

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2014, 06:34 
Comeback Chopper

Debater wrote:
Thanks for the opportunity to ask questions.

1. In todays game, coaches video virtually every match that is played and analyse that video and also videos of opponents. How did you scout or review opponents strengths and weakness and your own strength and weakness. What recording or analysis techniques did you use to identify you use to improve your own game.

2. How did you practice the mental side of the game, staying strong mentally, never giving up, working out players during games and finding their weaknesses.

3. If a defender "wins" a match it's often portrayed as being due to mistakes from their opponent. Did this ever bother you, or did you feel as a defender, you never really got the true credit you deserved, certainly from the media, for your ability to create forced errors rather than unforced errors from opponents.

4. What is thte most important skill for a player of your style to have?

5. When did you start to play table tennis and why?

6. How much did it cost to buy table tennis equipment you used in the 70's and 80's?

7. How did "fame" and being one of the best players in the world affect your personal life? Did you lose friends from your child hood, did it make you sceptical of new people who you came across in your life ie did you think "they only want to know me because of what I've achieved, rather than who I actually am". How do you learn to trust people you have never met before when you are successful at world level?

8. What is your favourite table tennis shot?

9. What is the hardest shot in table tennis for you to play when you were at your peak and now?

10. What is the most important attribute or skill a table tennis player needs?

11. What other sports did you play as a child and why did you take the path of table tennis?

12. Has the standard of behaviour changed in top level table tennis since the 1970's, if so how?

13. How often did you used to change your equipment - blade and rubbers.

14. Was player sponsorship a big thing when you were playing, and what were the benefits of being sponsored.

15. When chosing your equipment what came first / was the most important thing to get right? The blade, the FH rubber or the BH rubber?

16. What was the age and gender make up of table tennis clubs when you started playing as a child and how has that changed over the years?

17. What was the reaction of your parents to you first starting out playing table tennis and then again as you improved and became one of the worlds best players?

18. If you could make one rule change for modern table tennis, what would that be?

19. Would you ever consider setting up an academy for teaching table tennis defenders?

20. Who were the characters of the game when you played, and what made them such great characters?

Thanks

Debater,

Thanks so much for so many fantastic questions. I will be very interesting to read Takashima's answers.

Steven

--------------
--------------
1972-1987
Yasaka Mark V 1.5mm

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2014, 06:35 
Comeback Chopper

zzzuppp wrote:
Here we go

zzzuppp,

Thanks so much for the pictures. I will show these pictures to Takashima, to see if he is happy with them, or if he wishes to provide us with other pictures.

Thanks again,

Steven

--------------
--------------
1972-1987
Yasaka Mark V 1.5mm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next