OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:59

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Spoilt by Tenergy?
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2014, 18:18 
The Twiddler

Does anyone else on here feel that they've been spoilt by Tenergy? By this, I mean anything you've tried since just doesn't measure up?

I've tried a number of different rubbers, but none seem to offer the same spin, speed and positive feel of Tenergy, so I always seem to come back to it.

Like many people on here, I read reviews online of various rubbers. Some say they have more spin, some say they have more control and some say they are faster. However every time I've tried something different it doesn't feel "right".

For example, over the past year or so I've tried a few different rubbers. These included Nittaku Fast-Arc (S1 and C1); the C1 was meant to have more spin and the S1 more speed. The S1 in particular according to TT-DB has more speed, slightly less spin but more control than my 05-FX. When trying it, it felt bouncy, lively, uncontrollable and mushy. Whereas my 05-FX felt just as spiny (maybe more), much more positive and easier to control?

Yesterday I tried a sheet of Rasant Powersponge. I'm going to persevere with it because I think it could be good. However it again felt bouncy, too slow on slow shots and too fast on fast shots. Going back to the Tenergy (on an identical blade) it felt as if I could almost shut my eyes and put the ball back on the table. It felt as if I could take liberties and just perform any swing at the ball and it would go back on the table.

True be told, I don't really need to change from using Tenergy for something else and will buy a sheet of 80-FX when it's available. However, I'm just curious to hear if anyone else has found the same as I have after playing with Tenergy for a while that it's very hard to go back to something else?

Dr Neubauer Gangster and Desperado 2 (testing both) OX

Butterfly Amicus Professional robot
-----
Ever tried, Ever failed? No Matter.
Try again, Fail Again, Fail Better!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Re: Spoilt by Tenergy?
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2014, 18:57 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I think it's quite common...people have adjusted their game and strokes to the rubber, and anything new will take time to adjust again, so it won't work as well until you do so.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2014, 21:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tibhar Force Pro SE
FH: Razka XX max, black
BH: LP OX, Monkey/SavigaV
haggisv wrote:
I think it's quite common...people have adjusted their game and strokes to the rubber, and anything new will take time to adjust again, so it won't work as well until you do so.

I agree with this 100%. If you had been using rasant for a year or 2 and tried tenergy you probably would feel exactly the same.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2014, 01:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
This is the same problem I have, in attempting to find a cheaper replacement I tried Vega Elite, h3 neo boosted,blue whale 2 soft,Bluefire m3,Barracuda boosted but went back every time,non of them gives the same window of opportunity/control for me,I should have just bought a new sheet which is what I will do for next season and move the old one onto my spare Defplay for when I`m testing pips :headbang:

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2014, 08:29 
Super User

That's why I use Friendship Cream transcend and Super FX.
No need for cheap replacement and the only way is :up:

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2014, 09:22 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Partly true for me. I missed those shots full of speed compared to my set-up. However, there is one shot that I can't do with Tenerygy 05 ( maybe some other tenergy can do it but I have not tried ). I can't described it very well because I felt it is unique in my style :lol: :lol: . I have perfected the shot when I shifted to Rakza 7 and carried it over with my current set-up.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2014, 11:57 

Ten05 used to be my FH rubber on a TBS. Having switched to a faster blade, the Joola MC1, I found the Ten05 to be too springy. I usually go all out on a 3rd ball attack and with the Ten05, it would go over. Had to switch to old-school Sriver, and presently the Andro Shifter Powersponge. My Ten05 is still unglued and waiting for my 9-year-old son when he is ready for table tennis :lol:

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2014, 12:09 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

alohajakeLP wrote:
Ten05 used to be my FH rubber on a TBS. Having switched to a faster blade, the Joola MC1, I found the Ten05 to be too springy. I usually go all out on a 3rd ball attack and with the Ten05, it would go over. Had to switch to old-school Sriver, and presently the Andro Shifter Powersponge. My Ten05 is still unglued and waiting for my 9-year-old son when he is ready for table tennis :lol:

yes tenergy with the MC1 would be good for tennis,

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2014, 23:40 
Super User

Blade: Zhang Jike SZLC
FH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Blk
BH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Red
ChrisBuer wrote:
Does anyone else on here feel that they've been spoilt by Tenergy? By this, I mean anything you've tried since just doesn't measure up?

I've tried a number of different rubbers, but none seem to offer the same spin, speed and positive feel of Tenergy, so I always seem to come back to it.

I'm the same and have wasted a lot on trying equivalents.
Reckon that with the imminent arrival of the poly ball we could be looking for a different type of rubber possibly one with more tack.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2014, 20:28 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
If you think you current rubber is not good enough, put it in the hands of a high level player, and be amazed by what they can do with it.

AT times I'm still amazed by what some players can do with a old and cheap rubber. We've got a player on the top grade here that plays with 729 Super FX, and his loops are spinny and fast...he can do everything with it! This used to be my favourite rubber as well, 20 years ago. :oops:

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2014, 19:14 
The Twiddler

I agree Alex!

I think the best way to improve is to just spend time getting familiar with a particular set up. As long as you have something that feels good and works, then practice with this will improve you over time.

Some of the best players in our leagues have played with the same blade for a couple of decades! That's why I'm now focussing on one blade and one set of pips. My forehand rubber needs changing now as it's old and worn, but I know Tenergy works well for me, so I'm going to stick with that :)

Dr Neubauer Gangster and Desperado 2 (testing both) OX

Butterfly Amicus Professional robot
-----
Ever tried, Ever failed? No Matter.
Try again, Fail Again, Fail Better!

PostPosted: 28 May 2014, 09:57 

yes. After so many years of not wanting to try it, because first test was bad, and cost and other reasons, I finally try the Tenergy 05, and am loving it

PostPosted: 28 May 2014, 11:20 
Super User

I think the fact that so many rubbers compare themselves to Tenergy 05 in their marketing just shows what an industry standard it is.
I loved it when I used to use it, but have had no trouble adjusting to cheaper rubbers, like Donic Acuda S3. I'm currently using Joola Express Two, and that is very nice as well. I think, as soon as you focus on technique and stop worrying about equipment, it becomes easier to "get over" specific equipment.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!