OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:06

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2014, 10:33 
Comeback Chopper

Joo Saehyuk wrote that he was inspired by Koji Matsushita and Ding Song. I could understand that Matsushita inspired a young Joo, by I didn't appreciate the impact of Ding Song until watching the recent video of Ding Song playing a match against Johnny Huang. (That video can be viewed at viewtopic.php?f=13&t=26366 ). It was very interesting to see that Ding Song attacks much more that Matsushita, often with very powerful loops far from the table just like Joo. I don't really know, but I would guess that Ding Song probably inspired Joo more than did Matsushita.

I had previously regarded Joo as the first world class modern defensive player. Perhaps it is better to regard Ding Song as being the first great modern defender, with Joo raising modern defense to a higher and even more exciting level.

Steven

--------------
Returned to table tennis September 2011
Canada National Team Member, 1973-1975
--------------
1972-1987
Brickell Balsa/Birch 3-ply Blade
Yasaka Mark V 1.5mm
Joola Toni Hold AntiTopspin 2.5mm

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2014, 16:38 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

birding&table.tennis wrote:
I have sometimes wondered how a defensive player can be number one in the world. In addition to being a tremendous modern defender like Joo, with an incredible defense and very powerful forehand, I was thinking that perhaps the ultimate modern defender would be a player with Joo's skills but uses inverted on both sides, and can perform a backhand loop at a distance, similar to that of Kreanga. That would force the offensive player to attack very aggressively at all times, i.e., no relatively easy attacking shots to the defender's backhand. Does this sound reasonable? Is this type of defense possible? Presumably it would required chopping with something like tenergy 64 2.1mm on the backhand.

How about a chopper who twiddles, can chop with long pips OR inverted on both forehand and backhand, AND loop both forehand and backhand?

Iskandar

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2014, 19:02 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
iskandar taib wrote:
I have sometimes wondered how a defensive player can be number one in the world. In addition to being a tremendous modern defender like Joo, with an incredible defense and very powerful forehand, I was thinking that perhaps the ultimate modern defender would be a player with Joo's skills but uses inverted on both sides, and can perform a backhand loop at a distance, similar to that of Kreanga. That would force the offensive player to attack very aggressively at all times, i.e., no relatively easy attacking shots to the defender's backhand. Does this sound reasonable? Is this type of defense possible? Presumably it would required chopping with something like tenergy 64 2.1mm on the backhand.

How about a chopper who twiddles, can chop with long pips OR inverted on both forehand and backhand, AND loop both forehand and backhand?

Iskandar

Perhaps this young fellow is the answer: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=26009

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2014, 17:07 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Def-attack wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:

Iskandar

Perhaps this young fellow is the answer: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=26009

Doesn't fit the bill, though - he's not a chopper and he doesn't use long pips. Though he chops once in a while.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2015, 21:01 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Here is a nice recent picture of Joo with Matt Hetherington (NZ) on Matt's TT Blog

Looking good Matt, I'm so jealous! :swear: :swear: :swear:

Joo's looking great too, looks so young here.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2015, 23:52 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
haggisv wrote:
Here is a nice recent picture of Joo with Matt Hetherington (NZ) on Matt's TT Blog

Looking good Matt, I'm so jealous! :swear: :swear: :swear:

Joo's looking great too, looks so young here.

I think Joo's is wearing make-up in this photo. Just look at his skin, his eyes. That or this photo is photoshopped.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2015, 01:42 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Lorre wrote:
I think Joo's is wearing make-up in this photo. Just look at his skin, his eyes. That or this photo is photoshopped.

Careful Lorre, don't kiss the screen. LOL :inlove: :lol:

Joo's not wearing make-up, he's just Asian. Youthful appearance is something many of us are lucky to have. :rock: We look like babies until we are about 60 and then BOOM! - overnight we age and look like Egg Chen. Thankfully, our powers then grow exponentially.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2015, 03:41 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Japsican wrote:
Careful Lorre, don't kiss the screen. LOL :inlove: :lol:

Joo's not wearing make-up, he's just Asian. Youthful appearance is something many of us are lucky to have. :rock: We look like babies until we are about 60 and then BOOM! - overnight we age and look like Egg Chen. Thankfully, our powers then grow exponentially.

:lol:
Still I never saw Joo's skin on his face so smooth. Mostly he has pimples. :lol: Ok, bad translation: acne. I really find his skin is really smooth in the picture. Never saw that, except when he was younger.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2015, 17:48 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
Lorre wrote:
Still I never saw Joo's skin on his face so smooth. Mostly he has pimples :lol:

:D

I just re-read the interview and this quote:

Quote:
Joo SaeHyuk: My plan is to retire in 2015. I wish I can play longer, but decided to retire because I'm disappointed with myself for not being able to play as dynamic and stylish as when I was younger.

I have the impression his disease is more or less under control and that he's in a good shape... hope he decides to play longer...

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2017, 10:19 

I just read this, and as Joo is my hero too (as many of us here), this was great to read. Little bit late but it doesn't matter :lol:

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!