OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 07:12

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2014, 19:55 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I thought it would be worthwhile to make a list of which balls are made by which of the major manufacturers. I believe at this point in time, these are the only manufacturers of plastic balls, so every brand that releases a ball must be made by one of these:
Double Happiness / DHS (China), Double Fish(China), Xushaofa (China), Nittaku (Japan), Weener (Germany).
If you know who makes the balls of other brands, or have corrections to this list, please post so that I can add them in.

Double Happiness / DHS
DHS
Andro
Donic
Nittaku SHA
Tibhar

Double Fish
Double Fish
Kinson
TSP
Butterfly

Xushaofa
Xushaofa
Sanwei
Yinhe
Palio
Hanno
Nexy
Stag
Xiom

Nittaku
Nittaku Premium

Weener

I think the German brands (Donic, Andro, Joola, etc) use DHS brands, but I've not heard anything official.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014, 17:10 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

No-one can add any? :( ;)

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014, 20:49 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I think your list is pretty comprehensive. The only one missing is Butterfly.

All I know about the Butterfly 40+ is from the picture shown on the thread started here at OOAK forum by Bijou, and the fact that it has not been sold until now. It is made in China and is a seamed ball but presumably one that is quite recently made. So maybe it will be better. According to the document from Thomas Kueneth in July 2014, plastic balls of different brands can have the same manufacturer but carry the stamp of each company who then carry out their own tests for individual quality management. Presumably, that also means that they set their own standards for balls they will accept from the factory and then sell. Perhaps the fact that Butterfly is the last major company to market one of these balls suggests they have been more picky about quality and are only now getting balls they think are good enough? Maybe the Chinese manufacturers have been working to improve their product so newer balls will be better?

If you are optimistic by nature, you can at least hope that is what is happening. In any case, that is one reason why the Butterfly 40+ will be interesting. It can serve as something of a bellwether for what we will see moving forward. Will the Chinese balls get closer to what Nittaku Premium in Japan have already achieved? It will be depressing if it turns out to be the same as all the other Chinese seamed balls.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014, 22:58 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
must be made by one of these:
Double Happiness / DHS (China), Double Fish(China), Xushaofa (China), Nittaku (Japan), Weener (Germany).

According to my information, Weener has not produced any plastic ball, their Hanno balls are just Chinese balls with a German stamp.

Nittaku seems to have ceased their plastic ball production in Japan.

Which leaves us to 3 distinct manufacturer. The same situation as with the celluloid balls. Still nobody cries "monopoly", especially some people who did that with respect to celluloid balls. Surprise.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 07:11 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Smartguy wrote:
haggisv wrote:
must be made by one of these:

According to my information, Weener has not produced any plastic ball, their Hanno balls are just Chinese balls with a German stamp.

Nittaku seems to have ceased their plastic ball production in Japan.

Which leaves us to 3 distinct manufacturer. The same situation as with the celluloid balls. Still nobody cries "monopoly", especially some people who did that with respect to celluloid balls. Surprise.

That's correct, that's why Hanno is listed under Xushaofa, who makes these balls.

I did not know about Nittaku Japan... they've only just released their Japan-made balls???

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 07:13 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Baal wrote:
I think your list is pretty comprehensive. The only one missing is Butterfly.

All I know about the Butterfly 40+ is from the picture shown on the thread started here at OOAK forum by Bijou, and the fact that it has not been sold until now. It is made in China and is a seamed ball but presumably one that is quite recently made. So maybe it will be better. According to the document from Thomas Kueneth in July 2014, plastic balls of different brands can have the same manufacturer but carry the stamp of each company who then carry out their own tests for individual quality management. Presumably, that also means that they set their own standards for balls they will accept from the factory and then sell. Perhaps the fact that Butterfly is the last major company to market one of these balls suggests they have been more picky about quality and are only now getting balls they think are good enough? Maybe the Chinese manufacturers have been working to improve their product so newer balls will be better?

If you are optimistic by nature, you can at least hope that is what is happening. In any case, that is one reason why the Butterfly 40+ will be interesting. It can serve as something of a bellwether for what we will see moving forward. Will the Chinese balls get closer to what Nittaku Premium in Japan have already achieved? It will be depressing if it turns out to be the same as all the other Chinese seamed balls.

THanks Baal :up:

All the Euro brands are missing...I'd like to confirm who makes them. I suspect they are DHS, but can't be sure.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 07:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Nittaku Japan was available for a few weeks and now they are back ordered again. I have been playing with them last week or so. I like them very much. Hopefully production resumes soon, they are very different from Nittaku SHA. I am sure they will be selling the premium again before long.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2014, 00:18 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Has anyone tried the new Yasaka plastic ball? My club uses mainly Yasak products when it comes to clothes, balls, nets and tables. But ther plastic balls has been delayed first in preoduction and now in transport from the fabric to Europe and Sweden. My team will start using plastic balls in team matches in early January and we still have no Yasaka plastic ball. Does anyone know what other plastic ball this one is most similar to? We now practice with Xushaofa 3 star seamless.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2014, 07:05 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

If we knew who made their balls, we could suggest something similar. It seems most manufacturers don't wish to share who makes their balls.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2014, 11:32 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
haggisv said:
Quote:
If we knew who made their balls, we could suggest something similar. It seems most manufacturers don't wish to share who makes their balls.

I thought that Torsten said something to the effect that the manufacturers wanted the info kept commercial in confidence, in one of his written responses in the debater videos on the Joola plastic ball.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2014, 11:42 
Super User

Aren't there claims the plastic balls are so different from each other that discerning them should be trivial?

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2014, 08:52 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I've made a few additions to the list, based on rumours not facts. Does anyone have any further information of who makes which brand balls?

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2014, 10:46 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Kinson is DFish

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2014, 19:15 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

NextLevel wrote:
Kinson is DFish

Thank you! :up:

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2014, 16:46 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Does anyone have any further information of who makes which brand balls?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!