OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 21:50

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014, 17:51 
Super User

I wanted to start a thread. I think this rubber has potential, but I've found it so far too fast. I've tried the 1.2 and 1.5 Mystery 3 versions on blades ranging from DEF + to OFF -. I just ordered a soft sponge version from Colestt, so we'll see how that goes.

In comparison, Spectol (regular) in 1.1 was considerably slower. Spectol in 1.5 (21 sponge) was faster and perhaps similar to the 563.

Pros: ability to impart spin, change spin on pushes, attack easily, especially in 1.5. Often chops dead balls.

Cons: faster than other topsheets (IMO), chops are not very spinny and a good player will pound these balls, unless you can keep them really low.

I'm currently using Spectol 1.1mm and like it, however I want to settle with a med pip b/c of the ability to attack and vary pushes. We'll see... may just stick with Spectol. Previously I was using Feint 2/3 and D-techs.

Anyone else want to chime in?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014, 19:24 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I agree it's faster... it's a medium pip designed for blocking/attack. I would expect you can generate more spin with Spectol, unless you were comparing to a long pimples?

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 03:50 
Super User

Agree with Haggis, 563 is an attacking rubber that can do some chopping in dire need, but not out of habit.

Ian

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2014, 03:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
I found 563 and 563-1 both to be impossible for me to chop with. I do think it should be possible, but I never came close to mastering it so I gave up.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2014, 08:01 
Super User

I just try chopping with Yasaka Original in 1.5 mm and its chop low and I can put any amount of spin I want on it , all this newer pips are great and I wanted to try something basic and it worked out great

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2014, 08:33 
Super User

You could argue that almost all short and med pip rubbers are meant for blocking and hitting.

There was a Chinese girl who used to chop well with it against a 2300+ looper in Texas. She used a 1.3 sponge, don't know what it was. I remember her returning many of his loops. Rumor had it that Li Qian used it. I think it's definitely usable, but it requires a slow sponge.

OTH, something about the pip structure/top sheet makes it inherently faster than other rubbers I've tried chopping with. Oh well, the quest continues! :headbang:

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2014, 13:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
vanjr wrote:
I found 563 and 563-1 both to be impossible for me to chop with.
:up:

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2014, 06:15 
Super User

Blade: Donic Waldner WC 89 FL
FH: Donic BlueStar A2 Red Max
BH: DMS Firestorm Black 1.8
If I were choosing a medium pip for chopping, I'd probably pick Nittaku Pimplemini. It isn't designed for chopping (in my opinion no medium pip excels at it), but if you look at the reviews, some people have had a little success chopping with it. For me it is a great allaround pip, able to do most shots I attempt.

I've not had much success chopping with 563, but then chopping isn't my best shot. About the best I usually manage is a floating ball back to the table with 563. Hope you can do better, and post some videos so we can learn from your efforts.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2014, 09:18 
Super User

> I think this rubber has potential, but I've found it so far too fast.

This is the problem for chopping with almost anything, unless you're already pretty good. All of the sane "chopping rubbers" tend to be not only slow but absorb income pace considerably.

Chopping is not easy to learn esp if you're already facing passable loops; it's as if you tried to learn topspin by first going against backspin instead of other topspin. Anything that slows the racket down (slow sponge, slow blade) so you can swing with some confidence tends to help.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2014, 11:33 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

The 563 is too bouncy for chopping. It's the best medium pip you can get but it's for attacking.

Being a raw pip its got lots of spring, now with a inverted lots of spring is great for chopping but with a pip.. just my opinion but I think if you are going to chop with something other than a very grippy long pip or inverted then it needs to be a cooked short pip.

By the way pimplemini is a raw pip. It's a shortened long pip and 1000 times better for chopping than 563. If you are even considering chopping with an attacking medium pip you are far better off with pimplemini, it can do anything reasnobly well.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!