OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Violence in Table Tennis
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2014, 14:01 

Violence in Table Tennis

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2014, 14:12 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Wow, I've never seen anything like this! This kid has a temper!!! Lets hope he can grow out of it... :(

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2014, 19:29 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

Very sad, a bit of previous maybe between the umpire and himself?

Would he have done it to an adult, i don't think so!

We also have this problem with 12 -15 yo's in our league, they are taught to win only and do not know how to change tactics in a game, but just expect to win with a topspin attack game and using the hidden serve! They do not get the defenders art or how to play V. LP's!! :up: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They are surly, non sporting, unsociable, and when under pressure, kick walls, table, throw bat hard on the table, smash the ball to you on your serve, etc.... :headbang: you get the picture!

They have Elite coaching, but are NOT taught how to play the game properly, so it's no wonder this sort of thing goes on!

As a senior, you know the game is yours as soon as you see this sort of crack appearing.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2014, 19:54 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Wouldn't say violent, exactly, but there was one notable older player in the US who was well known for losing his temper and then stalking up and down cussing and screaming and using all sorts of four letter words at tournaments. I actually saw him do this once. Don't know if he's still active, but he was quite well known, has written a lot of table tennis stuff over the years, even wrote a book (which I found incomprehensible - he was going on and on about lollipop grips in the beginning). Was even the editor of the USTTA newsletter for some years. Quite self-indulgent, he even wrote a piece defending giving umpires obscene gestures when upset. I think some here might know who I am writing about.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2014, 20:17 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

iskandar taib wrote:
Wouldn't say violent, exactly, but there was one notable older player in the US who was well known for losing his temper and then stalking up and down cussing and screaming and using all sorts of four letter words at tournaments. I actually saw him do this once. Don't know if he's still active, but he was quite well known, has written a lot of table tennis stuff over the years, even wrote a book (which I found incomprehensible - he was going on and on about lollipop grips in the beginning). Was even the editor of the USTTA newsletter for some years. Quite self-indulgent, he even wrote a piece defending giving umpires obscene gestures when upset. I think some here might know who I am writing about.

Iskandar

WOW!!!!

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2014, 20:40 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Anything makes the news these days. One bratty kid pushes another bratty kid. Funny though.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2014, 21:59 
Super User

I suspect his father slipped some vodka in his gatorade. You know those Russians! :D It does help calm the nerves.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2014, 07:25 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

The kid needs help. Without it he has all the potential of becoming violent in his later years, which won't be good for anyone. His parents need to step in and do something. Failing that, the club should ban him from playing until he admits he was being a bully. Well, we know he was being a bully (it's all over the Internet), so something needs to be done.

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2014, 07:54 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
You're absolutely right Oskar, the kid needs help! Hopefully the parents are taking action. :(

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2014, 06:06 

Kid needs help, that' right!

What I like (also) about TT, or about any kind of (social) activity: If the surrounding is O.K., it will help you to get along with yourself alot better, in terms of getting a better knowledge of yourself. If a young person is acting the way like this kid did, there's always a story behind it, a sad one in most cases. This reminds me alot of myself back in the days - I takes alot of courage and (self)education to deal with problems like that. It also reminds me to watch my social surrounding, and help where I can.

Yours,
D.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2014, 08:55 

I know this may sound too idealistic, but don't we all have a responsibility to do something? I'm not suggesting we all know what to do, but as a human community I feel we've lost touch with our community. Now, I'm not suggesting that a person should be compelled to say something, because it's not always appropriate or possible; but I do think that there are always going to be mature people who could help. And I'm not discounting the fact that a mature young person can be just as helpful. Of course there's no guarantee that any assistance (encouraging and/or firm words, etc) will be of any help, but I do suspect that we've taken the stance these days to think that it's someone else's problem. No doubt it is, but the fact is we all have to live with each other.

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2014, 13:26 

Quite shocking all adults just stand there and doing nothing. They should at least try to going in and help the referee to get up.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2014, 13:52 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Not sure how we can tell all this, they might be best mates, brothers even. Maybe the umpire was being a bully all game making smart comments and the little fella just snapped. Without knowing any background I think it's a bit hard to pass judgment.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2014, 14:32 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
well, it was in the "Kalashnikov" tournament - maybe the kid is a Putin in training?

PostPosted: 31 May 2015, 03:32 

If I was the ref there I would have returned allot quicker with a punch to the face. Just saying. I'm not violent but if someone did that to me, I'll throw down, no problem! :punch: