OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 19:07

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2015, 09:10 

I often struggle to keep the ball on the table when opponent serves long sidespin deep to my forehand. He uses counterclockwise side spin and some backspin. I can loop undespin chop but the side spin throws me off. Anybody has suggestion to loop this type of ball? Any safe way to receive this ball?

Most people recommend to attack long serves but i think long serve is the most difficult to loop because opponent can generate heavy spin and receiver is in doubt of what type of spin and how much spin on the ball.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2015, 10:05 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
This serve is difficult for many people to loop because the sidespin orientation of the serve makes the backspin seem heavier if you contact the ball on the right side, which is where many people contact the ball. It is possible to loop the ball this way if the spin is not heavy or if your racket motion is fast enough, but you will be working very hard. If you contact the right side or back of the ball and go up and left, you will be continuing the spin more naturally and the ball will hook towards the left. You can do this more easily by angling your blade downwards as if performing a hook sidespin loop and finishing with the blade facing upwards.

I usually prefer to hold my paddle upwards as if performing a fade sidespin loop and contacting the left side of the ball. This sends the ball down the line and tends to frustrate most people who use this serve because they want the ball to come back to the right side of the table (from their perspective).

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2015, 11:25 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

always a hard one , I would still rercomend looping them because if you return them well the other player may stop doing them
the other thing is don't leave them late as the ball could just get away from you, and maybe attck a different corner
be proactive

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2015, 23:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
This is a difficult shot for me. Here is what I do.

First thing to me is to read the spin-is it side under, "pure" side or side top. Side under is not too difficult to loop. For both side top and "pure" side (and it is hard to image any side spin is pure:) I tend to loop long. If opponents racket is going from my left to right I like to attack to his FH with my FH. If the opponent serve motion is right to left I prefer attacking with my BH to the middle of the table or do use the same side spin (my L to R) to add to their spin.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2015, 08:50 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

teiid wrote:
I often struggle to keep the ball on the table when opponent serves long sidespin deep to my forehand. He uses counterclockwise side spin and some backspin. I can loop undespin chop but the side spin throws me off. Anybody has suggestion to loop this type of ball? Any safe way to receive this ball?

Most people recommend to attack long serves but i think long serve is the most difficult to loop because opponent can generate heavy spin and receiver is in doubt of what type of spin and how much spin on the ball.

Im guessing you are facing a type of tomahawk serve which spins towards your RH opponents FH side when you hit it. If this is the case then get your feet slightly more side on than usual, pull the wrist back slightly so that your blade is facing more towards your opponents BH side, follow-thru slightly more forward than usual (ie not right above the eyes). Don't rush the shot as you may have to allow for a slighlty curved trajectory of the serve. If the ball has backspin then give it some air, a comfortable net clearance.

In relation to long serves, yes you have to attack them. If you do not then your opponent will get a juicy long return and plenty of time to attack. In time you will learn to read and control the spin. Its just a learning phase you have to go thru.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2015, 22:15 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
carbonman wrote:
teiid wrote:

Im guessing you are facing a type of tomahawk serve which spins towards your RH opponents FH side when you hit it. If this is the case then get your feet slightly more side on than usual, pull the wrist back slightly so that your blade is facing more towards your opponents BH side, follow-thru slightly more forward than usual (ie not right above the eyes). Don't rush the shot as you may have to allow for a slighlty curved trajectory of the serve. If the ball has backspin then give it some air, a comfortable net clearance.

In relation to long serves, yes you have to attack them. If you do not then your opponent will get a juicy long return and plenty of time to attack. In time you will learn to read and control the spin. Its just a learning phase you have to go thru.

I like the way you describe it.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2015, 01:47 

I haven't got a chance to play this player again yet. Yes, he's doing a tomahawk serve that curve away to the right side of the table. I think the best advice is to loop down the line and contact the left side of the ball, the fade loop motion will fit this situation just right.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2015, 06:28 

Thanks everyone, I finally play this opponent today and i was able to return his serve without much problem.
To loop, I lay my wrist back so that the racquet tip pointing up. Try to make contact on the left side of the ball and aiming down the line.
A safe push return also work out very well when I brush the left side of the ball to neutralize the sidespin