OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:06

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015, 06:21 

As a two sided SP player, there is no style more frustrating for me to play than a good lobber; one who consistently plays deep, very high, and varies the amount of topspin on his shots.

Given that you can't create a staggering amount of topspin with SPs, and that the lobs are so high and deep on the table that off-the-bounce hitting is extremely tough to calibrate, it's hard to send back a loaded shot of any kind.

I sometimes resort to playing weak half-long returns or even a weak chop against the lob after it comes down, to goad the lobber into coming closer to the table and sending over a heavy loop for me to counterdrive.

Curious to hear other SP users' thoughts.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015, 06:36 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

SP are great to smash with. For guidance check out the games of Johnny Huang, Teng Yi, and Sharad Pandit.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015, 07:19 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
carbonman wrote:
SP are great to smash with. For guidance check out the games of Johnny Huang, Teng Yi, and Sharad Pandit.

Sharad used to play and live in Philly before moving to Australia. Medical doctor, so you can imagine for a part-time player that he was truly exceptional.

Beta wrote:
As a two sided SP player, there is no style more frustrating for me to play than a good lobber; one who consistently plays deep, very high, and varies the amount of topspin on his shots.

Given that you can't create a staggering amount of topspin with SPs, and that the lobs are so high and deep on the table that off-the-bounce hitting is extremely tough to calibrate, it's hard to send back a loaded shot of any kind.

I sometimes resort to playing weak half-long returns or even a weak chop against the lob after it comes down, to goad the lobber into coming closer to the table and sending over a heavy loop for me to counterdrive.

Study Sharad as carbonman said. He was very skillful at making people pop the ball up. You really should be able to take lobs consistently early with the short pips as long as you are aiming for the right spot on the table. If I was more mobile, that would be the style I switched to because I smash way too much already... But a lobber as good as the one you describe is likely just a better player. Sometimes, a man has got to accept his limitations.... maybe you need to have a better stop block, but if the topspin is as heavy as you say, that is work...

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015, 07:30 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Lobbers like to play away from the table. Don't let them. The idea is to prevent them from being able to lob the ball in the first place (unless you want them to because you can handle their returns and smash with ease and consistency).

Serve short, play short and place the ball sensibly.

Your oppenent can't lob a ball which bounces for a second bounce on their side of the table. Lobbers don't like dealing with short no pace, little spin balls as they've nothing to work with.

When you get a lose return hit it in to their body (pocket) and cramp them for room or deep and wide to the angles. Don't hit it in their "comfort zones". Being kept close to the table they'll have less time to react to your attack and cramping them means they'll have less control over the racket head for their return and they'll have the added problem of having to decide whether to try and return the ball with their forehand or backhand.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015, 07:51 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

I watched a game that had a lobber and a short pimple hitter playing in the weekend
getting angles is great ie aim for the barriers, sometimes hit off the bounch (great fun) sometimes tap it small sometimes hard, get sideways and take them all on the forehand, , aim right at him make him work hard, jump up and bounce it over his head, keep your form so med hard and in is better than missing

enjoy the contest

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015, 11:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
Agree with all the above.

Lobbers do not like angles, DO like spin and do NOT like quick, off the bounce shots.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015, 14:13 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
One of my teammates this season is a lobber and I've been watching what he doesn't like cos I've never found a way to really beat him in days gone by (haven't played him for a few years now). He falls apart with someone who just pushes to him consistently short as other here have said. Also a short, off-the-bounce block upsets his game a fair bit. Bringing them into the table and making them reach for a ball over the table (when they really want to take it over the end) will often result in a pop-up which should then be clean killed at angle.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015, 16:18 

Thanks for the responses..

I've watched every available Johnny Huang video and Sharad Pandit video I've been able to find probably upwards of 30 times each, and still review them fairly often.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015, 20:01 
Super User

Beta wrote:

Smashing good lobs like flipping and such is just one of those things in TT that involve so many disparate skills; which is what makes it a good defensive shot in first place not unlike the short/low push which needs to be flipped for offense. There's no real shortcut other than get better at TT, but against lobbers without good offense it's ok to play safe until the opportunity comes.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015, 20:33 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence II
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-P 2.2
BH: TSP Curl P1r 0.5mm
make him run
smash on left with less power 40%,dropshot,smash on right with more power 80%,dropshot etc...
diversity is a key

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2015, 18:17 

You've all made decent points and I thank you for them, but I've heard them all before, and the simple answer is that the guy is around 2300 and honestly a better TT player than me. I beat him half the time and he beats me half the time, but he regularly beats people that I don't. I'll have to keep practicing. Thanks again!

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2015, 18:20 

agenthex wrote:
Beta wrote:

Smashing good lobs like flipping and such is just one of those things in TT that involve so many disparate skills; which is what makes it a good defensive shot in first place not unlike the short/low push which needs to be flipped for offense. There's no real shortcut other than get better at TT, but against lobbers without good offense it's ok to play safe until the opportunity comes.

Agreed; the one in question has a very strong offense to capitalize on any weak balls sent back to him; it's a very strange style, the lobber/weak-ball-attacker, in my opinion.. but it works if you're good enough at it.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2015, 03:24 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Beta wrote:
agenthex wrote:
Beta wrote:

Agreed; the one in question has a very strong offense to capitalize on any weak balls sent back to him; it's a very strange style, the lobber/weak-ball-attacker, in my opinion.. but it works if you're good enough at it.

Beta, if you've answered this somewhere please forgive me. What style do you play with Double SP? HItting or chopping? THe P700 is a SP hitting blade traditionally, but the super spin pips are great for chopping too, so I was curious. I'm sure just like everyone it's a gradient of styles, but what dominates your play?

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2015, 04:28 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Do you have coach who is a good SP hitter?

From the anecdotes that I have heard, one of the things that helped Sharad was taking a lesson with David Zhuang. If you were on the East Coast, either David or Lily would fit the bill. Maybe for you, seeking out Jiaqi Zheng or someone similar to look at your technique and paying them a significant amount of money for an hour or two of coaching (not hitting) might resolve your question more easily.

FWIW, if your rating (2013) and his (2300) are accurate, that you beat this guy at all (and 50% of the time is amazing) is a testament to the effectiveness of your style vs his. At a certain point, technical weapons and execution are going to matter and IMO, this is what you really need. There has to be a pattern that you feed into that lets him set up his lobbing game that you can sometimes avoid.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2016, 23:05 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
vanjr wrote:
Agree with all the above.

Lobbers do not like angles, DO like spin and do NOT like quick, off the bounce shots.

One of the good English juniors (#14 Junior) plays with Stiga Radical on her FH. I was watching her at training last week, against another good junior (#20 junior), who likes to lob. Earlier in the evening, the lobber was playing against a similar strength person, who was returning the lobs with a lot of spin, meaning the lobber could easily continue lobbing. However against the SP player, the lobber had no chance. She would hit flat through the ball with tremendous power and precision, at nasty angles, or take the ball very early to a different angle. Very interesting to watch.